RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba / JR Servo Comparison Chart (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6794910-futaba-jr-servo-comparison-chart.html)

av8rk 12-23-2007 01:10 PM

Futaba / JR Servo Comparison Chart

Has anyone out here in RCU seen, heard of, or made an impromptu chart comparing JR servos with Futaba servos? For speed, torque etc.....
My next jet project lists all of the recommended servos as JR brand.....I am curious to know what JR / Futaba servos are relatively close to each other in speed, torque, and size.....Both digital and analog.....

Thanks for looking.....Rich

JCINTEXAS 12-23-2007 01:34 PM

RE: Futaba / JR Servo Comparison Chart

Rich,
You have asked a good question. I would like to see a direct Futaba-to-JR servo comparison. I have this question. Are there any problems, or issues, or things we need to know about when it comes to using either JR servos with a Futaba rcvr, or with using Futaba servos with a JR rcvr.....or with using a mix of these servos with either brand of rcvr? I now fly the Futaba 2.4 Ghz FASST system which is all Futaba components. Would I be safe in using JR Digital servos with my Futaba system? Even if this will work just fine, is there anything to be gained by using JR servos?
Regards
JC

A.T. 12-23-2007 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: av8rk Has anyone out here in RCU seen, heard of, or made an impromptu chart comparing JR servos with Futaba servos? For speed, torque etc.....
My next jet project lists all of the recommended servos as JR brand.....I am curious to know what JR / Futaba servos are relatively close to each other in speed, torque, and size.....Both digital and analog..... Thanks for looking.....Rich
Closest to your requirement is the very good Servo - Database + Download Winzip Program "Choisir ces servos"
refer sub section "Servo - alterations, calculators, databases, repairs, convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ." on my web page for other servo comparison charts.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

av8rk 12-23-2007 02:51 PM

JC,

I have used JR servos with my Futaba receivers..( 309dps and 319dps PCM )...and never a problem.....
I've never owned a JR radio so i can't speak from experience if Futaba servos in a JR receiver causes any problems.....
But i'd anticipate it would be ok.....
I fly a Futaba 9Z-WC2 system, and always use a Deans whip antenna or a Revolution whip antenna on my receivers.....
And again, no problems using the whips.....
I always use heavy duty servo extensions, heavy duty switch, and 5 cell / 6 volt nicad JR batteries...( unregulated ).....
I'll continue to use my 9Z for as long as i can.....but i will get a 12Z 2.4 system when they hit the market....i can use the extra channels in my jets.....

Regards.....Rich

PJ_TankPilot 12-23-2007 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS
Are there any problems, or issues, or things we need to know about when it comes to using either JR servos with a Futaba rcvr.....
I have used over a dozen different JR (analog and digital, sub-micro to large) servo types with Futaba receivers (PCM and FASST). I have encountered only one problem. The JR 791 retract servo does not work with a freshly charged 4 cell pack on a Futaba receivers (PCM and FASST) but works fine on a JR receiver.

However, I suspect that it is a transmitter difference on the Gear channel, not a receiver difference.

JCINTEXAS 12-23-2007 06:57 PM

Rich,
Thanks for the info.
You say: "I fly a Futaba 9Z-WC2 system, and always use a Deans whip antenna or a Revolution whip antenna on my receivers....."
Question:
Would you recommend using a Deans or Revolution whip antenna on a 2.4 Ghz receiver? Seems to me the longer and more visible antenna would eliminate any possible "masking" of the RF signal which seems to be a concern for some pilots.
Regards
JC

av8rk 12-23-2007 08:35 PM

JC,

The whip antennas i have used were specifically designed for 72 mhz systems.....I've never seen or heard of anyone using a whip antenna on these new 2.4 systems.....

Rich

JCINTEXAS 12-23-2007 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: av8rk

JC,

The whip antennas i have used were specifically designed for 72 mhz systems.....I've never seen or heard of anyone using a whip antenna on these new 2.4 systems.....

Rich

Where can I get one of these whip antennas?
I want to get one and see how it works with a 2.4 Ghz system.
For me, the radio installation was easier with the longer wire antennas used on 72 Mhz. That was simple...just run it to the top of the vertical fin or along the bottom of the fuselage. With the short 2.4 Ghz antennas, it takes some thought and planning to route the two antennas away from servos, wire pushrods, and other possible causes of RF "noise"...and away from any RF "blocking" or "masking" sources such as large fuel tanks. If the whip will work with 2.4 Ghz then all of these concerns should be eliminated. I invite comment and opinions on this idea.
Regards
JC

airbusdrvr 12-24-2007 06:50 AM

I would bet that were there any advantage to using a different length antenna, the manufacturers would have used them. Each radio frequency has an antenna length that is best. That is probably why "all" the 2.4Ghz systems have short antennas.

ronwc 12-24-2007 08:01 AM

http://www.hobbylisting.com/html/ser..._frameset.html