RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   JR 10X internal fuse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6889510-jr-10x-internal-fuse.html)

seanpcola 01-11-2008 08:04 AM

JR 10X internal fuse

I accidently popped the fuse on my 10X. I know what I did, dumb mistake, but this is the second (and last hopefully) time I did this in the past month. I have replaced this fuse in the old X347 but before I start opening the back up I would like some feedback. Has anyone on here replaced this before? You can see the fuse mounted on the board underneath the 9.6 battery. I have a suspicion that this is no major deal. I got this Tx used and the previous owner had a pack of these fuses stored in the carrying case so I assume he had done it on occasion himself. First time on the 10X I had a local guy replace it (he is a factory trained tech) but he charged $50.00. I'll pay it again if I have to but just wondering if it is that big a deal?

Thanks,

Sean

tadawson 01-11-2008 01:47 PM

RE: JR 10X internal fuse

I don't know if there is another one inside or not, but the only fuse I am aware of on the 10X is in the battery case - it is on the board in the location labeled "D1" if I recall correctly, and is a small opaque green component that looks a lot like a diode. Simply open the battery case, and it should be apparent to you. That's the good news, the bad news is, that it is soldered in, so if you don't have soldering tools or skills, it will be more trouble to replace than a clip in fuse . . .

- Tim

seanpcola 01-11-2008 07:29 PM

Hi Tim,

Yep, I'm aware of the battery board issue and worked around that but if you remove the battery and look just to the left of the batt. connector you can see an old fashioned glass fuse holder with fuse mounted to the main board. You can almost reach it through that slot but not quite. I've done quite a bit of electronics work in the past but just a little leary of pulling the case apart at this point. Thing is, if you can get to it it's just a matter of popping the old one out and a new one in. My 10x case had a package full of those fuses when I got it but I can no longer reach the guy I bought it from so can't get advise from him. The two guys I know personally that are qualified by JR to replace it do that stuff for a living so I kinda hate to ask them to reveal the tricks. But, fifty bucks is fifty bucks and I want to be able to do it myself without the Tx being down for a week or so.

Thanks for the reply!

Sean

tadawson 01-11-2008 10:44 PM

No problem - never had to go fishing for that one in either of my 10X's, but have popped the battery fuses a couple of times. Can't really help you there, other than to note that I have seen a couple of disassembly procedures for the 10X case, and it did not appear trivial . . . .

If the case had a "pack of those fuses" I would be concerned - I can't think of any reason that one should be blowing unless there is a problem with the TX (or the guy has a pack of the wrong fuses . . . ) since pretty much all power/charge/plug/etc. issues will take the battery case fuse instead . . .

- Tim

seanpcola 01-11-2008 11:04 PM

Yep Tim,

I am beginning to suspect a bigger issue here. Both of my 10xs are having problems and they were just returned from being serviced (onboard Lith battery replaced). NOT by JR but a repair station that will remain nameless. May have to send them to JR anyway.

Thanks again,

Sean

bruce88123 01-12-2008 11:44 AM

Are you blowing the fuse by charging at too high a rate?

seanpcola 01-12-2008 04:54 PM

No. I build my own packs. What I at first suspected was that I plugged the battery in with the Tx switch on or I plugged it in wrong. I don't use the plastic case since I run Lipos and 2000 eneloops in my txs so the board is free floating. Been doing that for a long time with no problems. Suddenly I am blowing fuses and have a pot problem on one of them ever since I got them back from a repair station. (See post # 5). I do appreciate the reply and you are right that charging the batteries wrong but I think my 10xs have a bigger problem.
Sean

tadawson 01-13-2008 03:25 AM

That fuse is not involved in charging - all charge power goes though the fuse in the battery case only . . . .

- Tim