RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   dual elevator servos question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6975521-dual-elevator-servos-question.html)

JohnMcGowan 01-26-2008 10:07 PM

dual elevator servos question

Hi guys, I have a Futaba 8U super and I was wanting to ask if the best way to set up dual elevator servos is using the "ailevator" programming and using channels 2 and 8 on the rx ? Ive never had a plane that had 2 elevator servos before so I wasnt quite sure how to do this. And is there a negative to the above setup, if any?
Its going on a skyshark christen eagle arf. If I am off base here , can you recommend a better way to do this?
Thanks very much!!!
John

nedyob 01-26-2008 10:51 PM

RE: dual elevator servos question

What I do to set up dual servo Elev.
(1) Tape both Elev. in nutral position and set linkage from servo to horn.
(2) plug both servo's in the apropiate channel.
This step is done best when rudder is not installed or pined to fin.
(3) Take two sharpen pencils and tape then both to the trailing edge of elevator.
(4) set the channel two servo as close to center as possible with the linkage or with the transmitter.
(5) set the Ch.8 channel (usually the left elev. servo) center so both points of the pencils meet
(6) then program the radio so both servo's work together with the elev. stick.
(7) then set the full travel up and down in the transmitter.

Whwn set where you want both center and end ponts are sapose to be, dont for get to write down all your settings on paper so you have then in case later you need to go back and reset the throws. You might even want to have a master copy in your TX of the factory setting. So you have it to reprogram to original settings.
Hope this is what your looking for.
You could always get a servo programer from hitec and set the nutral and end points on it, also Servo City sells a servo protractor that helps you set the center and end points in centimeters. Then the travels are manualy set prior to the servo install in the plane and if yo have to use a back up TX later on your settings are already set up in the servo.
NEDYOB

RVBlack 01-26-2008 11:00 PM

I'm using #2 and #8 with my 8U super. I forgot the program name but I think that's right. I have that "8U book" (not the factory manual) in my trailer, if you can't figure it out, pm me, and I'll go get it to help you.

gadix 01-27-2008 03:38 AM

some addtional help:

when using 2 servo on the same moving surface - ELEV- it is best to make one servo as the master and the 2nd one as the slave.
set up the master on the ELEV CH as you allways do.
than setup the other on a MIX without a SW - u want it to work alltimes not deppnding on a SW!!

when setting up the MS servo - all should be in NORMAL - to center the ELEV use the pushrod mechanical adjusments ONLY. than the same way the SLV servo - mechanical adjusment only.
after that u can trim,subtrim ect digitally.

mixing: go to the 1st MIX,if free, and choose the appropiate channel for the MS and SLV servo.

gunfighterII 01-27-2008 05:32 AM

Yes,
Just go into the ailevator function and zero out the aileron values. That's the only way to do it on the 8U. I have Edbergs book also.:D It uses #2 and #8 as RV says.

If you go the master, slave route, you trim will only control 1 side.