RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   I need a crystaless transmitter. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7645893-i-need-crystaless-transmitter.html)

Igotntc3andrevo 06-21-2008 08:30 PM

I need a crystaless transmitter.

Hello everyone, I have been in the hobby of rc cars for a long time and have only had one remote after the stock one for all my cars. My airtronics mx3 is starting to fail me so it is time for me to upgrade. I have invested around 600 dollars into an electric pro mod and want it safe. what would be a good frequency free radio i would like to stay in the 200 dollar range if its a little more then thats fine but 300 is pushing it.

thanks
Justin

Campgems 06-21-2008 09:01 PM

RE: I need a frequency free radio

Justin, what is a frequency free radio?

Don

Wlouigene 06-21-2008 09:29 PM

RE: I need a crystaless transmitter.

I would like to know also

Campgems 06-21-2008 10:48 PM

OK, now that you have changed the topic a bit, you have a couple choices. Probalby the best is 2.4ghz. The other is synthetizied RF modules, but then you need a synthethizied receiver or a crystal on the channel you chose. That route is going to cost big bucks.

What you want is a 2.4ghz system. Shop Tower, Horizon, and Hobby Lobby for one that fits your need. Those three companys will have just about the full spectrum of radios avaiable today. You are not going to get much in the way of discounts other than using the specials and the monthly discounts that Tower offers. Those three are the US dristributiors for most of the radios sold here. As they all have a retail sales arm on the internet, they are not going to deep discount to someone who will undercut their sales by very much.

Don

choppaholix 06-21-2008 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Igotntc3andrevo

Hello everyone, I have been in the hobby of rc cars for a long time and have only had one remote after the stock one for all my cars. My airtronics mx3 is starting to fail me so it is time for me to upgrade. I have invested around 600 dollars into an electric pro mod and want it safe. what would be a good frequency free radio i would like to stay in the 200 dollar range if its a little more then thats fine but 300 is pushing it.

thanks
Justin
MX3 also makes a FHSS 2.4GHz and a MX3S synthesizer both are crystal free,I know that HobbyPeople has the FHSS 2.4GHz for $149.99 and the synthesizer for less that is a sweet deal for a crystal free radio i hope this help's.

choppaholix 06-21-2008 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Don
A radio and receiver that dons'nt require any kind of crystals.

Campgems 06-21-2008 11:14 PM

I hate to be argumentive, but all radios have a fequency. ALL. I have a Futaba 9CAP supper with a synthizer module on the RF module and a synthizer receiver. The still have a frequency. No crystals though. They can't talk to each other unless they are on the same frequency.

2.4ghz is the same. The frequency band is 2.4ghz, but there are a huge number of sub frequency that the radios can switch between on that band. The Futabe Fasst constantly switches frequencys to skip around interference, but if the TX and the RX are not on the same frequency, they just can't comunicate.

Its the same for TV, AM radio, Fm Radio, Satlite Radio, police radios, you name it. If the receiver and the transmitter are not on the same frequency, there is no comunications. Crystals are just a clean way to control frequency, but not the only way.

Don

Igotntc3andrevo 06-22-2008 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: choppaholix

thanks
Justin
MX3 also makes a FHSS 2.4GHz and a MX3S synthesizer both are crystal free,I know that HobbyPeople has the FHSS 2.4GHz for $149.99 and the synthesizer for less that is a sweet deal for a crystal free radio i hope this help's.
Hey chopppa so what do you think about the airtornics 2.4 radio do you think it is my best choice in my price range? if i is then this is the one to go with because it has the same feel as my fm mx3.

fizzwater2 06-22-2008 09:27 AM

I hate to be argumentive, but all radios have a fequency. ALL. I have a Futaba 9CAP supper with a synthizer module on the RF module and a synthizer receiver. The still have a frequency. No crystals though. They can't talk to each other unless they are on the same frequency.

In all honesty, the synthesized radios DO have a crystal - the synthesizer has to have a reference oscillator. You just don't have to CHANGE crystals to change channels..

choppaholix 06-22-2008 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: choppaholix

thanks
Justin
Hey chopppa so what do you think about the airtornics 2.4 radio do you think it is my best choice in my price range? if i is then this is the one to go with because it has the same feel as my fm mx3.
I have it, and i love it' i also have the M11 but i preffer my MX3 couse the way it fits in my hand. Go For it!!

choppaholix 06-22-2008 11:34 AM

2.4ghz is the same. The frequency band is 2.4ghz, but there are a huge number of sub frequency that the radios can switch between on that band. The Futabe Fasst constantly switches frequencys to skip around interference, but if the TX and the RX are not on the same frequency, they just can't comunicate.

Its the same for TV, AM radio, Fm Radio, Satlite Radio, police radios, you name it. If the receiver and the transmitter are not on the same frequency, there is no comunications. Crystals are just a clean way to control frequency, but not the only way.

Don

I agree! The reason i like the 2.4GHz is that when, I do go out racing i dont worrie about interrupting others frequencys or try to find an available frequency.The 2.4GHz finds it own,Plus you gotta love the short attenna.

Igotntc3andrevo 06-22-2008 02:38 PM

well that solves it right there im going to get that mx3 today.....and everyone that said that the radios have a crystal yes i know that i should have worded it differently but i thought you all would take it as meaning i do not have to go and stick little frequency crystals into the receiver and the transmitter....

Campgems 06-22-2008 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

In all honesty, the synthesized radios DO have a crystal - the synthesizer has to have a reference oscillator. You just don't have to CHANGE crystals to change channels..
You know, you most likely correct. Even your quartz watch has a crystal. I was under the impression that the synthexizer developed the frequency with out a crystal, but what you same makes perfect sense.

Don.