RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Single conversion And Dual conversion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/804424-single-conversion-dual-conversion.html)

richb1492 05-26-2003 01:49 PM

Single conversion And Dual conversion

Can anybody explain this too me.. is dual better than single?
Does one have advantages over the other. :cool:

Rodney 05-26-2003 02:34 PM

Yes, dual conversion is better. No third order harmonics for one thing. I don't recall the exact web address but do a search on Torreypinesgulls and read their explanation on radios; they cover FM, AM , PCM etc. in great detail and are quite accurate in their assesments.

aeajr 05-31-2003 10:11 PM

I just bought a Hitec Prism 7X which comes with a 8 channel dual conversion receiver. Must I only use dual conversion receivers with this radio?

Does the brand of the receiver make a difference?

Are there any brands of receivers you would suggest I avoid?

strato911 05-31-2003 11:40 PM

The transmitter doesn't care whether the receiver is single or dual conversion. The choice which receiver to use is dependant upon your needs (range, $$, and brand compatibility), and the level of local RF interference in the area.

Since the Prism7 is capable of selecting either +ve or -ve shift, you can use any brand of PPM receiver, but if you want to use PCM you will need to use Hitec.

MOST single conversion (SC) receivers have less range than dual conversion (DC) receivers. This is fine when flying park-flyers in a small area, or for indoors flight. The exception to this rule is JR's SC receivers. They have additional circuitry designed to improve the receiver's noise rejection capabilities. This allows JR to make SC receivers capable of similar reception range as its competitor's DC receivers.

Steve Lewin 06-01-2003 07:23 AM

Originally posted by strato911
MOST single conversion (SC) receivers have less range than dual conversion (DC) receivers. This is fine when flying park-flyers in a small area, or for indoors flight. The exception to this rule is JR's SC receivers. They have additional circuitry designed to improve the receiver's noise rejection capabilities. This allows JR to make SC receivers capable of similar reception range as its competitor's DC receivers.
That's not really accurate. MOST SC receivers are full-range. They are slightly more susceptible to one particularl type of interference than DC but they do not have any less range.

SOME very small receivers specifically for indoor or parkflyers have reduced range. They are almost all SC but it's not being SC that reduces the range.

As well as JR you'll find that Futaba, Berg, GWS and Airtronics/Sanwa all make full range Single Conversion receivers.

Steve

strato911 06-01-2003 07:35 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight. I thought only the feather receivers made for park/indoor flyers were SC (otherthan JR).

aeajr 06-01-2003 08:27 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Ken Kehlet 06-02-2003 03:58 AM

We have all kinds of problems using JR Single conversion receivers in Northwest Oklahoma City. This is the receiver that comes with today's lower cost JR Radio systems. Our only "fix" thus far has been to replace the JR receiver with a RCD/Hitec receiver that is JR compatable. The replacement has corrected 100% of the "Getting Hit" cases.

Any Ideas Why ??

Thanks

strato911 06-02-2003 05:47 AM

Single conversion (SC) receivers are more susceptible to certain types of interference. JR tries to get around it with additional signal filetring, but perhaps your area happens to be prone to that interference type. I've heard similar complaints about JR's SC receivers from a few flying sites. If you ask me, JR is cutting it's own throat by sticking with SC for their main line of receivers.

My personal opinion - I would never risk my planes with SC technology unless I was flying ultra lightweight, indoor craft where I needed the weight savings offered by an SC receiver. The design of Dual conversion (DC) is inherently better in my opinion.

Ken Kehlet 06-02-2003 03:23 PM

Thanks Dennis.

We have 3 hobby shops in our area, two (2) know and understand our "Glitch" problems with JR.

Now if we could only convince the one local retail hobby shop owner that will not listen to anyone or anything except the cash register, we would be all set.

strato911 06-02-2003 03:33 PM

As the saying goes - "Money Talks". In my experience, JR is more expensive, and probably has a larger profit margin. Perhaps if everyone refuses to purchase JR equipment, but keeps asking for their competitor's equipment, perhaps he/she will change their supplier.

If they only currently sell JR, make a point of asking him/her if they can bring in radios from "XYZ" brand, even if you don't intend to buy. Then get all your flying buddies to do the same. If enough people ask for "XYZ" equipment, they may start stocking it.

Either that, or form a boycott untill they acknowledge the JR reception problems and stop selling it to newcommers.

jtholley03 06-03-2003 12:15 PM

I use

http://www.bergent.net/

I use this in an Ultra Stick. I use the 9XP expander for the 4 wing servos. Very nice. Just ong plug to get going at the field. Less room for error. I have no problems.

I also use a Berg receiver in a piccolo micro heli.

I have seen this brand outperform most other single conversion. IE others getting hit left and right when two bergs at meeting were rock solid! This did happen to be an indoor meet.

I have no range problems at all.