RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 9C Range Problems... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/819523-futaba-9c-range-problems.html)

Dale_L 05-31-2003 09:23 PM

Rf Module

WreckR,

I forgot :rolleyes: that I once had to solder the pins for my Rf module (8UAF). One or two of the pins came loose from bad solder joints and my removing the Rf module to adjust the stick tension and remove the battery diode. I pretty much had exactly what you are describing, so you may want to re-solder the pins. If you are not comfortable with doing that, find someone who is and ask them to do it. It really is a very simple touchup to the solder joints. If you need pics, I can probably open mine up and take some and post them if need be.

Dale

strato911 06-01-2003 12:01 AM

Wild ideas

WreckRman2 - I assume you have this range problem when you're NOT standing close to chain-link fencing... chain link fencing is known to cause interference.

I also assume when you tried your friend's RF module, you changed your receiver's crystal to match his module, not the crystal in his module to match your receiver.

Have you tried another model memory? I have read of someone here who's Tx developed a problem similar to yours on one model memory only. When he changed to another model memory the problem went away.

Sounds like you've eliminated everything except the TX itself. I suggest sending it to a service center with a complete description of everything you've already tried.

When you do find the source of the problem, don't forget to post here so we know what to look for next time we see this problem.

strato911 06-01-2003 12:06 AM

Futaba 9C Range Problems...

Also, although you've eliminated this, I want to remind everyone that since carbon fibre (CF) is conductive, push rods made of CF act as antennas, and that vibration with metal on CF (or CF on CF) produces interference just like metal on metal.

Dustflyer 06-01-2003 12:55 AM

Glitches

I've always wondered about this but never tried it. There is supposed to be a "cone of silence" so to speak extending straight out from the antenna tip. That's why you should never point the antenna directly at the model. Most of the time this is never a problem since when we hold the transmitter to fly the antenna is usually parallel with the ground.

Just wondering whether you have tried various transmitter antenna orientations during your range tests?

Another problem I have seen is attempting to charge high capacity RX packs (1000 mah and up) with the 50 mah "wall wart" chargers that come with the radio set. According to SR Battery information these will never fully charge a typical 1400-1700 mah high capacity battery even if left on charge for several days. I have personally witnessed a giant scale aerobat screw itself into the ground due to the operator trying to charge such a pack with a 50 mah charger. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come out of spin. Simple... putting it INTO the spin, all servos at maximum draw drained every last milliamp out of the pack, what little was in there in the first place.

I realize this may be grabbing at straws but it seems like you've checked just about everything else.

Good luck with your problem.

WreckRman2 06-01-2003 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Equest
I have read through all of the replies and no one has mentioned a possible issue with the TX or RX batteries. This could be the culprit.
I have tried another battery with the rx but haven't in the tx. I charge my batteries using a Dymond Super Turbo so I know they are getting a full charge and they are testing good after charged.

WreckRman2 06-01-2003 01:52 AM

Dale_L, it's a brand new radio so before I do anything like that I will send it back to Futaba.

WreckRman2 06-01-2003 01:56 AM

Re: Wild ideas

Originally posted by strato911
WreckRman2 - I assume you have this range problem when you're NOT standing close to chain-link fencing... chain link fencing is known to cause interference.

---
nope
---

I also assume when you tried your friend's RF module, you changed your receiver's crystal to match his module, not the crystal in his module to match your receiver.

---
actually I changed the crystal in his module to use my freq because I didn't have a crystal on his channel but we were going to try that also tomorrow.
---

Have you tried another model memory? I have read of someone here who's Tx developed a problem similar to yours on one model memory only. When he changed to another model memory the problem went away.

---
no I haven't but I will try that...
---

Sounds like you've eliminated everything except the TX itself. I suggest sending it to a service center with a complete description of everything you've already tried.

---
thats my final move yes..., its just that the Internet Fly-In is next weekend and they won't get it back before then. If I can fix it before then it would be great and if not I got some great friends that already offered to loan me their radio so I can fly it/
---

When you do find the source of the problem, don't forget to post here so we know what to look for next time we see this problem.

---
I will do.
---

Pilotsmoe 06-01-2003 02:20 AM

Originally posted by WreckRman2
I disagree... 50 feet isn't near far enough. You should be able to walk 150 feet and still be rock solid with most radios and I'm starting to get jumpy servos at probably 30 feet away.
that's what futaba says in their manuals, but you have that receiver out of the plane. Yes, you should be able to get at least 80 ft. back before the servos jump. 30 ft definitely is not going to cut it. You might have to send it back to futaba and have them check it.

strato911 06-01-2003 02:36 AM

David - did I interpret your reply correctly? When you are not near chain link fencing you don't have a range problem? In other words, when there's no chain link nearby, range checks are OK?

As I mentioned, chain link fencing is a known source of interference... Is there chain link (or large metal buildings) nearby at your flying field?

WreckRman2 06-01-2003 02:41 AM

I meant that no, I'm not near any fences that could be causing any problems.

Well let me clear that up, look in the pic above in post #21 and you will see a chain link fence but I can walk down the street completely away from it and still have same problems.

strato911 06-01-2003 02:47 AM

That's what I hoped you meant, but I wanted to make sure. To many negatives, and I lost track.

WreckRman2 06-01-2003 11:11 PM

Ok, here is the result of todays testing...

First we did some more testing with my 9C and again it continued to fail the range test. At 15 paces away we were already starting to get jumpy servos.

We swapped some things around with no better result... that is until we setup my plane on a friends 8U using his module and his crystal in my rx. After we did this the range test was ROCK SOLID up to 40 paces away. I put 2 flights on it with not one glitch.

End result, something is wrong with the radio or at least that is what we believe. I'm going to package it up and send it to Futaba service tomorrow.

When I get it back I'll post what they find... my only fear is what do I do if they send it back saying nothing is wrong with it.

wgeffon 06-01-2003 11:32 PM

What are you going to do for next weekend??

Will you have a plane to fly?

rajul 06-02-2003 12:06 AM

The Tx module could have been fried. Do you extend the antenna while doing setup with your plane, etc ?

WreckRman2 06-02-2003 02:30 AM

Originally posted by wgeffon
What are you going to do for next weekend??

Will you have a plane to fly?

Matt is going to lend me his 8U and a 149DP rx for the weekend so I can fly it.

WreckRman2 06-02-2003 02:32 AM

Originally posted by rajul
The Tx module could have been fried. Do you extend the antenna while doing setup with your plane, etc ?
At times I did and other times I didn't. Yes the module will get hot faster with it down but it's not like it took me 3 hours to setup the plane. It was more like 30 minutes total broken up into seperate times.

wgeffon 06-02-2003 02:34 AM

Awesome!

Luke 3D 06-02-2003 04:42 PM

I had EXACTLY the same problem as you have.
New Futaba 9C, glitching like crazy, oh god what on earths going on with my brand new radio that cost a bucket load and shouldn't be doing this blah blah blah.

I played around with the antenna postion and it helped a bit but still big problem.
I was upset and couldn't think of anything else to try when i realised something.
When i changed the crystals to a new pair hey presto!
Reception was as smooth as silk.
Luke

WreckRman2 06-02-2003 05:18 PM

I tried another module and crystal on a different channel and still had glitches. That's when we tried the whole radio swap and then it was rock solid.

Luke 3D 06-02-2003 08:31 PM

Oh. Looks like you got a tricky one. Maybe you got a dry joint in some of the electronics.

WreckRman2 06-02-2003 08:34 PM

Futaba said maybe something isn't soldered right or there is a short of some sort in the radio. I'm going to send it to them today. They said they should have it repaired and shipped back out within 2 business day of getting it so we will see.

Luke 3D 06-02-2003 08:43 PM

nice to see that you are going to get it sorted out. I hate glitches e.t.c. Maybe they just need to adjust it a bit or something.

rajul 06-02-2003 11:46 PM

Dave, hope you get back your 9C in working order real soon ! Sorry to see you go thru all the trouble to root out the problem. Maybe they should throw in a free campac or somethin to make it up to you ?? :cool:

WreckRman2 06-03-2003 12:04 AM

I got a free Campac when I bought it... after everything I've been through to isolate the problem I'm just happy my plane is still in one piece.

Like all electronic parts they can fail... what makes the difference to me is whether or not the company admits there was a problem and what they do to fix it.

When I explained everything I did the service guy said, yep I believe something is wrong with the tx and we'll find the problem and get it fixed.

Last summer I had an electrically part go bad that caused a loss of plane. I was able to isolate and duplicate the failure at my home several times on my work bench but amazingly when it went to the manufacture they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. To me they failed the first step and that was admitting there was a problem. After numerous times of them trying to point the blame on something or someone else they did replace the part but lost all confidence from me as a consumer in their products. To this day they continue to admit there isn't a problem even after repeated reports of trouble from numerous people with the same product.

ilrcflyboy 06-03-2003 01:20 PM

I'll be bringing a 9C

David,

If for some reason your radio makes it back with no changes in response, I have a 9C that I will be bringing with me this weekend and you're welcome to swap modules or whatever.

Just a thought.