RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

MikeMayberry 07-12-2010 08:02 PM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

You must upgrade the module with the 1.07 firmware for the battery telemetry data to display, but the V2.0 module is compatible with all the old RX's. No, you don't have to rebind, and if you never plan of getting the sensor station with the additional telemetry items, you wouldn't need to update any of your RX's.

Mike.

Chancho 07-12-2010 09:12 PM

Anyone else having problems trying to access the http://hitecrcd.co.kr/tester/hpp_22.htm ?

I've gathered all my gear together, unistalled the old version of the HPP-22 softwrae and no luck with the Hitec website.  :-(

Bob Pastorello 07-12-2010 09:26 PM

Works for me.

MikeMayberry 07-12-2010 10:12 PM

Just downloaded it and it works fine at home on Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Mike.

Chancho 07-12-2010 10:45 PM

Thanks Bob &Mike,

I had to dissable Malwarebytes Web Blocking and Protection forwhatever reason. Regardless, got it.. Now to upgrade.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Chancho 07-12-2010 11:48 PM

<div>Firmware upgrade works perfect.Ididbackup to PC the models before the upgrade as practice, but the models were unaffected after the upgrade.I was able toset and testa new cut off for my RX battery, turn off start upalarms, calibrate the screen, verifiedtimer reset, etc... I reffered to the videosas Iwas unaware that you had to upgrade the module on the back of the radio, too - it all makes sense now.

I really like the extra customization of this radio and I hope Hitec continues to come out with updates.</div>

Sweet!

JIMF14D 07-13-2010 05:02 AM

Why does the module have to be updated? What is changing there?

Jim D

bgw45 07-13-2010 07:19 AM

ORIGINAL: rctom

ORIGINAL: bgw45

Tom, got a picture of the strapping method? I'm having a hard time visualizing it going over the servo outputs.
Just use adhesive backed velcro, stick the hooks to the PE and the fuzzy stuff to the back of the receiver. You can buy a lifetime supply of the stuff for about $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.

[/quote]

Ok, now I get it. You just don't use what Smart Fly sends. Glad you posted. My vision was ugly. [8D]

ExcaliburIII 07-13-2010 07:50 AM

Noting has to be updated, you can just leave it as is. But if you update the TX I would guess you need to do the module and RX's so the are all on the same page. May be the reason someone had a problem with the display not showing RX telemetry? Mike?????

bgw45 07-13-2010 08:14 AM

Pulled the sticker off the Spectra Module and attempted to upgrade the module. Could not get the system to recognize the module was attached. Question..... How many pins in the Spectra update module receptacle?

rctom 07-13-2010 08:22 AM

I have a question for Mike;

With the receiver low voltage alarm, how responsive is it and does an alarm get logged?

I am thinking about a situation where someone is using batteries that are not dead, not dying, but inadequate. In this situation voltage might drop very low for just a fraction of a second, say during a snap roll.

Will the telemetry software see this and give notice or log it so that the user will know that it happened?

I see so many people using terrible batteries and/or poor wiring, I'm sure that if people just knew what was happening they would realize the danger they have been in. I know for me until I used an Eagle Tree data recorder I really never knew what was happening power wise.

TF

Chancho 07-13-2010 09:36 AM

<div>When updating thefirmware on my TX and then RX, I couldn&rsquo;t understand why the telemetry voltage wouldn&rsquo;t display.Only until I watched the video did I even know the module on the back needed updating too.I updated the module last and then the telemetry voltage displayed and the menu for adjusting the voltage cutoff. The transmitter never lost program, control functionality or binding with the receiver thru any of the steps to update everything.</div><div></div><div>The steps that worked for me; (I don't think there is any order required.)</div><div></div><div><span>1.<span> </span></span>Update the transmitter</div><div><span>2.<span> </span></span>Update Receiver</div><div><span>3.<span> </span></span>Update 2.4Ghz Module on back of Transmitter</div>
In the new receiver voltage screen it does show the low and high voltages captured. I didn't verify if these values "stuck"after cycling power on the TX. However,I like and will use thisnew feature. This is a form of logging and should show you after a flight an indication of your batteries capabilities, charge state or overall ability to hold a voltage under load.I think we'll have to wait for the telemetry add on to get updated reporting or more than this. The feedback from the RXto the TXisn't the highest level of real-time data sampling, but it is amazing that it is there and as good as it is in the first place. I'm happy with what it is, stock. For others who are looking for a volt/watt data logger, in-flight battery performance recorder, etc, It's not part of the stock A9 setup and I'm not sure to what extent the telemetry package coming out will do any of that or how well compared to devices already on the market dedicated to doing that.
<div></div><div>rctom;I'm not trying to answer for Mike and maybehe'll jump in with engineering specifics of data sampling rateson thelow voltage capturing capabilities of the TX/RX? "Interesting..."</div>

ExcaliburIII 07-13-2010 09:42 AM

I see so many people using terrible batteries and/or poor wiring, I'm sure that if people just knew what was happening they would realize the danger they have been in. I know for me until I used an Eagle Tree data recorder I really never knew what was happening power wise.

TF
What Tom said!!!! Come on guys throw down for some good A123's and some wire holders. Oh and throw out that wall charger and those cheapo servos unless you are puttin em in a freakin trainer.

PlaneInsane 07-13-2010 10:05 AM

With the receiver low voltage alarm, how responsive is it and does an alarm get logged?

I am thinking about a situation where someone is using batteries that are not dead, not dying, but inadequate. In this situation voltage might drop very low for just a fraction of a second, say during a snap roll.

Will the telemetry software see this and give notice or log it so that the user will know that it happened?

TF
I can answer that one Tom since I've been experiencing this very thing. My batteries cycle fine, voltage is good but when I fly the TX starts randomly beeping. So yes, you'll know when it spikes down.

Yesterday after updating everything I turned the plane on and went to the new monitor screen. The current voltage always looked good BUT the LOWEST voltage was changing and the TX was beeping. So I'd say that the response time is VERY fast. Obviously those batteries are now being replaced with something a bit better.

Rich

bgw45 07-13-2010 10:14 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I was able to update the TX, but not the module. The software does not recognize the module so it hangs. When I plug in to the module and turn on the Tx the screen on the TX shows the current model. I select yes to transmit and nothing happens till the USB connection goes down. I'm stumped.

The module has only two of the three pins in it. No black wire pin. Is this correct?

Edit.... Talked to Mike M. on the phone. As usual he was very helpful, thanks Mike. Somehow the ground pin is pushed into the module and not connecting. Will attempt repair.

JIMF14D 07-13-2010 10:31 AM

Hey, thanks for the input on the voltage monitor and module update. The high/low voltage things sounds very usefull. I had a problem the other day with an EP plane where pre take off the surfaces jumped a few times and when Iwent back to the bench the ESC started to beep which supposedly means low volts. The RX TM reading was 12v+ from the Lipo at the Tx as Iam using the SPC port.

Icould not find anything obvious and could not get the ESC to beep after re applying power. Iswapped out the ESC just in case and made 5 flights the next AM with no problems.

I will update to 1.07 the next rainy day we have here!

Jim D.

PS. Iwonder if the "promotional module" now on my Eclipse 7 gets any kind of an update?

rctom 07-13-2010 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: PlaneInsane

TF
I can answer that one Tom since I've been experiencing this very thing. My batteries cycle fine, voltage is good but when I fly the TX starts randomly beeping. So yes, you'll know when it spikes down.

Yesterday after updating everything I turned the plane on and went to the new monitor screen. The current voltage always looked good BUT the LOWEST voltage was changing and the TX was beeping. So I'd say that the response time is VERY fast. Obviously those batteries are now being replaced with something a bit better.

Rich

I love being right!

Thanks for the feedback.

TF

lafjax 07-13-2010 10:40 AM

I cannot seem to connect the transmitter, receiver or module to the hp-22. Upgraded hp-22 to 1.02 software, hp-22 lights up connected to each item and hp-22 says not connected. Any ideas?

JIMF14D 07-13-2010 10:49 AM

plugged into port 1? Connector not reversed? Just some things to check

rctom 07-13-2010 11:09 AM

Oh, here's another thought about voltage monitoring and using the Power Expander.

The smart-fly PE regulates the receiver voltage to 5.0 volts, sometimes it's 4.99 or 4.98. Mike says he'd like to see more "headroom", the difference between the normal voltage and the reboot voltage. This is where we diverge, I feel that's unnecessary.

My argument is that the higher voltage buys you nothing because if the system voltage goes below 5 volts, the voltage into the receiver will be the system voltage regardless of whether it's regulated. Basically in a full power situation the voltage is 5 volts, in low power it's whatever is available in both cases. The voltage regulator is really a voltage limiter, it prevents the voltage from going above 5 volts but it does not have the ability to raise the voltage from something below 5.0 volts.

The receiver will operate properly at 5 volts, there is no loss of anything, this is the ideal voltage.

Now, here's where telemetry becomes significant. If, using a PE, we capture a voltage lower than the normal 4.99-5.0 voltage, we know there is a problem with the power supply even using a power expander which would be valuable information.

TF

lafjax 07-13-2010 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: lafjax

I cannot seem to connect the transmitter, receiver or module to the hp-22. Upgraded hp-22 to 1.02 software, hp-22 lights up connected to each item and hp-22 says not connected. Any ideas?
Okay, solved the connection problem...did not press yes on transmitter, duh...
Updated the module but how do I get the ver 1.07 transmitter software. I looked on page above, even backed up a page or two and found something about it in Korean but could not download.

Jonson 07-13-2010 01:43 PM

Hi every one.

I've got a annoying problem. I have flashed my Aurora with v1.07, my module with v2.0 and my recievers with v2.0 too. I'm using hpp software v1.02. No problem encountered with the flash steps. I start my radio then my heli and notice an alarm from the Aurora. The module link is okay but it say "low receiver battery" (blue led glow and red blink with 3 beeps each second). I use the SPC plug with a fully charged lipo.

After some research on the web, I found the video posted by Mike (from Bob) and figure out that I need to param the voltage alarm level on the module itself. I start my hpp-22, select etc and Spectra 2.4Gh module. The hpp-22 led blink slowly. I connect the hpp-22 to the radio, then I turn it on and press yes to emit. The hpp-22 blink rapidly for a short time and nothing... The hpp-22 connect animation freeze and the led stop blinking. I cannot acces the voltage configuration panel nor can re-flash anymore the module. I simply can't connect to it. The alarm is realy drive me crazy and despite the alarm everything else work fine.

Anyone have an idea ? Is this a known bug?

Thanks in advance

PS : Sorry for my poor english I'm french and it's hard for me ^^

PlaneInsane 07-13-2010 02:05 PM

Jonson, I think you need to change your regional language to English (on your PC) for it to work.

boothg-3 07-13-2010 02:12 PM

RCTOM , i bench bound two new receivers and keep an old 4.8 ni cad pack on hand for bench operations
with two heavy duty servos installed with no load
i noticed while deflecting both sticks i was getting an rx
pack voltage drop on the readout and rebound when the servos had to move and stop during (motor starts) it seems to me it has a fast
sampling rate to catch what i was doing , a log would be a great feature
because i too have so many inadequate battery packs used

A.T. 07-13-2010 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

6Aug10 added: <font color="#22229c"><u>Hitec 2.4 GHz System Firmware Update Manual</u></font> .pdf

V1.07 Upgrade - observations

<span style="font-size: smaller">
1. Uninstall the old HPP-22 software and reinstall new software found here:
</span><span style="font-size: smaller">http://hitecrcd.co.kr/tester/tester.htm</span><span style="font-size: smaller">
(If module alarm is going off you probably didn't update to the latest software. once you do this you can go in and reset the alarm.)
English Standards and formats are necessary to set the voltage.
Regional and language Options / Regional Options Tag
Standards and Formats &gt; English (United states)
2. Disable Anti Virus software (if needed) for the install.
3. Run as Administrator or turn off or down user account control in the control panel/user accounts.
4. Module not found: European countries will want to change language on the PC to English.
(Anyone that has a better description for this please elaborate.) check the pins... I have seen
where one of the pins was bent so it would connect properly.</span>
================================================== ===
TWO Low Receiver Battery Alarms:
. One on the menu screen of the tx
. One in the module set by the HPP-22 program. Module must be updated to V2.
If you just update the transmitter and NOT the module you lose the capability to read the receiver voltage, from the SPC port, on the transmitter screen. <span style="font-size: smaller">[after updating to V2.0 and before disconnecting HPP-22 go to "Low Battery Warning (LBW) Function" and choose standard 4 &amp; 5 cell battery Alert or SPC setting alert and save choice.]
</span>
Once module is upfated to V2.0, turn on RX and you can thenset the alarm by touching the receiver voltage icon on the screen. When the alarm setting screen comes up the alarm will say "off". If you touch the "-", 35V will show and a constant beeping will be heard. However, if you touch the "+", 4.4V will come up and you can set it to desired voltage for the receiveralarm to activate.
================================================== ======

HPP-22 v1.02 TXT available during upgrade =
- Aurora 9 v1.07 Upgrade Information.
Added Functions:
- System Password Lock Function: You can't have system access without correct password.
- Quick Model Select Function: You can confirm &amp; select your model from the start up screen.
- Receiver Battery Low Voltage Warning Function: You can select the Low Battery Warning Alarm activation level.
- Touch Beep Sound On/Off Function: You can turn on and off touch screen button sound.
- Touch Screen Calibration Function: Now you can do touch screen calibration for your Aurora 9.
- Warning Selection at Start up Function: Now you can choose to turn on or off for two conditions of startup warnings (Abnormal Throttle and Flight Condition

Modified Functions (improved):
- Timer Reset Method: Press &amp; hold the Timer (1 or 2) screen for about 2 seconds which you want to reset.
Etc.:
- Menu Name Changed: Power &gt; SYS. MGMT, Auto Power Off &gt; Auto Hibernation.

Not Included above is the new Thottle Lock Feature -Throttle Lock can now be assigned to switches/trims for more independent/mixed control of multi engine models. [ThroLock] button = Settings&gt;Model&gt; 2/2[ThroLock] Switch:NULL &gt; assign switch as above]
refer Trimming Out Twin Motors on an Aurora
================================================== ==============================
Warning... It has been reported that in the GLID menu when using two flap servos that FLAP2 could possibly be reversed when changing from V1.06 to V1.07 so please be aware of this and reverse the servo as needed.
================================================== ===============================

1. Low battery warning in electric model
2. Telemetry connected to PC
detail &amp; videos at : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9865823
================================================== ==============================
AURORA9 Software Update Function Modification Contents (Version: 1.06 , 1.07)
-Update Function- as attached
================================================== =============================

- SPECTRA 2.4 v2.00 Upgrade Information - added:
. Low Battery Warning Function... [after updating to V2.0 and before disconnecting HPP-22 go to "Low Battery Warning (LBW) Function" and choose standard 4 &amp; 5 cell battery Alert or SPC setting alert and save choice.]
. HTS-SS 2D display
================================================== ==============================</p>

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links</p>