RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Wire Source? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/9226806-wire-source.html)

Ryan Smith 11-04-2009 12:14 AM

Wire Source?

Hey Guys,

I was hoping that someone out there could help me. I'm looking to get some wire, four strands of shielded 22 AWG, with one brown, one red, and two orange strands of insulation. I am looking to make some custom servo leads for dual elevator servos, and can't seem to find a source for this wire, at least for model purposes. I really would like the wire to be joined together, the closest thing I can find is Cat 5e plenum, and that's not particularly close to what I need.

Help! Thanks.

aerofly0610 11-04-2009 02:41 AM

RE: Wire Source?

Speaker wire is 1 pair so you could double it up... also check the electrical wire section at your local hardware store... sometimes they have audio/video cables for inwall theater setup that are spooled

Also cat 5e STRANDED would work as it is 24ga (just a tad smaller than 22ga) You can use each pair as one wire and get a better electrical connection (more current will travel down two wires than one). Cat5e SOLID may be harder to work with as it tends to break when flexed. Plenum is not needed as that has to do with fire retardant in the plastic covering.

Edit: Forgot to say that audio/video wires tend to be of heavier gauge but do come in 4 conductor and up spools

Campgems 11-04-2009 03:19 PM

In your search, keep in mind that good servo wire has a very high individual wire count and is very flexable. String flexable. Some of the stranded wires have a very low wire cound, down to about 7 and this is only marginally better than solid wire. Viberation will cause you troubles with the stiff wire. Your best bet would be twisted sets. IE from the servo wire/end comunity. It only comes in three strand, but it would be an easy task to strip a signal wire out and wrap in into the other three. Your wire will end up cousting you twice as much per ft doing that, but you will also have a bunch of long battery leads when you are done.

The only other option would be to get some computer flat cable, and strip off the excess number of wires. Again though, this us usually stiff wire and is seldom 22ga.

Don

fizzwater2 11-04-2009 03:34 PM

I've seen stranded servo wire places like www.radicalrc.com and www.hobbyking.com

Hobby king isn't bad if you need some other stuff and are careful about shipping weight - it's coming from Hong Kong and shipping can add up in a hurry.

I've had good luck with batteries & stuff I've purchased from radical RC, too.

onewasp 11-05-2009 10:46 AM

Shielding and color are his problems guys.

bhall01 11-05-2009 02:38 PM

I have a spool of 22ga, 2-pair, shielded twisted-pair cabling. Has a total of 4 wires (2-pair), plus the foil shielding and the shielded ground wire. Colors of the wire-pairs is red/black and green/white.

The above poster is correct, 'communications' wire does not have nearly the strand-count as the servo extension wire we're used to using. Nor is the cable as flexible as non-shielded silicon wire. I have used it for shielded in-wing aileron extensions and elevator extensions where the wiring doesn't really need to "flex" much once it's installed. Usually I solder on non-shielded regular HD servo extension 'pigtails' for the last few inches of the extension to allow for the 'flexing' to take place there. Have done this on quiet a few giant scale gassers up to 35% or so with no problems. Since switching most everything over to 2.4GHz systems, I've pretty much swithced over to non-shielded 22ga or 20ga twisted silicon extensions with no issues.

If the cable I have would work for you we can probably work something out to get some to you. Let me know.

Cheers -

Barry Hall :)

jcccc 11-06-2009 09:59 PM

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11986

Cheap, good. Connectors on each end.

jc

carrellh 11-06-2009 10:14 PM

Radical RC has 22 AWG wire that has 60 strands. You'd have to add the 4th strand though.
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...3179910&cat=64

onewasp 11-07-2009 09:10 PM

OP's Quote;
"I'm looking to get some wire, four strands of shielded 22 AWG, with one brown, one red, and two orange strands of insulation. "

Campgems 11-07-2009 09:21 PM

You can always find the wire bundle unshielded and then add a shield. Most electronic shops sell bare braded shielding by the foot or roll..

I've got to ask why you need sheilding though. The whole purpose of shielding is to blead off noise to ground, In the air, that's really hard to do. Iwouldn't expect it to do much other than be a big antenna for noise. A couple small ferite donuts, one on each servo plug end would be a better choice. Opto isolaters will prevent noise feed back also. There are better ways to control noise in model airplanes.

Don

wattmeter 11-07-2009 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith

Hey Guys,

I was hoping that someone out there could help me. I'm looking to get some wire, four strands of shielded 22 AWG, with one brown, one red, and two orange strands of insulation. I am looking to make some custom servo leads for dual elevator servos, and can't seem to find a source for this wire, at least for model purposes. I really would like the wire to be joined together, the closest thing I can find is Cat 5e plenum, and that's not particularly close to what I need.

Help! Thanks.

It's not shielded but but very good prices http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_wire__bulk_.html
wattmeter:eek:

Campgems 11-07-2009 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: wattmeter

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith

Hey Guys,

Help! Thanks.

It's not shielded but but very good prices http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_wire__bulk_.html
wattmeter:eek:
I've been using their heavy duty Futaba and JR wire. It's about as good as you can get. Actually better that any I've found.

Which brings up another question for the orginator of this post. The 22Ga is the largest wire you can crimp into the ends. Your suggestion of a four wire bundle suggest you are going to use a common voltage wires, how do you intend to splice the wires together at the end of the run??

In fact, why are we still kicking this around, the orginator of this thread hasn't responded since his question three days back.

Don

carrellh 11-08-2009 10:37 AM

I read the post. Through the common hobby sources it appears that what he wants does not exist.
The OP is probably going to have to "settle" for something common and add shielding and maybe a little heat shrink tubing to hold it together.

42etus 11-09-2009 12:32 PM

The colors aren't what the OP wanted, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...ZCUx%252b2c%3d

Ryan Smith 11-10-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

To be honest, I haven't checked the thread in a while, as I thought it was going to be a dead end. Forgive me for my lack of keeping up with this thread.

First of all, I need to apologize to onewasp, he read what I wrote, and I didn't mean shielded as in a plenum, I meant insulated. For example, the brown and red for positive and negative, and orange for signal on a JR servo. He was trying to point that out, and I was a dunce for saying shielded in the first place. Basically, I need bulk 22 AWG servo wire with an extra strand for two signal wires instead of one.

My intention with this is to make a special elevator servo lead cable that feeds two servos. This is similar to what Shulman aviation produces, I just need one longer than their longest one, and I'd like to be able to make this myself. ( http://ivankristensen.phanfare.com/3...geID=-70584652 is a picture, I hope you can make out what I'm talking about) The lead will share the power needs for the servos back from the receiver to the servos. A few inches from each end, I'll solder a single red and single brown onto the main red and brown wires and separate the two orange signal wires and each will get an end and go into a connector. Similar to making a 'Y'. My intention is to have effectively one lead going back to the rear of the airplane that branches out when it gets to the back and right before it goes into the receiver. I'm sure I could get some regular spools of wire and get an extra strand of orange and piggyback that on there, but it would be nice if I had a four-strand wire. I guess color isn't that grossly important, however since I fly JR, it would be nice to keep the same colors in the airplane. I started to draw a diagram, but I didn't feel it depicted what I wanted too clearly.

Thanks again for the comments and help guys.

Chancho 11-11-2009 04:41 PM

Ryan,

For a run that long I wouldn't split the power to critical servos. He mentioned in the buildarticle he did this to save weight. I'd get rid of the conduit before I got rid of (2) 22awg current carrying conductors. The weight savings here will not make a fart of difference.You will probably not notice the voltage drop, but if you have 2 digital servos for the rudder and elevator and pull both at the same time you will have a significant voltage drop. Probably not enough to knock anything off line, but significant, anyhow. HobbyKing has the cheepest wire and connector sets.The crimpers you can find various places, too. I've been able to crimp/mash 2-22awg wires into one crimp to make a Y connector - it's possible.

"To each his own..." Good luck..

Phil

wattmeter 11-11-2009 06:02 PM

Servo City sure has very good prices on connectors and wire.
http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_wire__bulk_.html
wattmeter[8D]

Ryan Smith 11-13-2009 01:29 AM

Thanks for the help/advice guys! I appreciate it.