Community
Search
Notices
RC Regional Racers & Bashers Speak with other RC car fanatics from your local area

Kyosho Mini-Z Racing in Reading PA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 AM
imxlr8ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Mini-Z Racing in Reading PA!!!

Been racing the Kyosho Mini-Zs since 2002 and yes... we are still running with them here in Reading. A few changes though... our club and track has moved to my current residence and the basement is set up to pit 12 drivers (a big advantage with smaller scales... in-home races!). We're still running on an RCP track system and we still have a Core lap counting system as well.

We race one Sunday a month, 10am-6pm... classes depend on attendance. (usually Stock, Mod and F1)

I will be posting our dates here as well as on our thread at MZR. If you're in the area and want to see what is the only on-road RC racing anywhere for miles... PM me and I can send you directions! I have loaner cars so don't worry about showing up with nothing but real driving skills! I've got around 7 well-tuned loaners ready to go each Sunday. Our current layout has about a 25' backstretch, I have RFID tag transponders for everyone as well.

No charge to race... can't get better than FREE RACING!

We usually have a bit of a swap meet going on throughout the day, best deals anywhere!

Someone in Berks County or the Reading PA area has to be into on-road racing... right?

Here's our current layout:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46169.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1638507  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 PM
imxlr8ed

Default RE: Kyosho Mini-Z Racing in Reading PA!!!

August Race Dates:

We will be running the 7th of August 10am-6pm... we usually tune until around 1pm and run the races we want the rest of the day.

PM or email me for directions.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 AM
imxlr8ed

Bump...

Still set for Sunday racing... 6 racers so far, plenty of room for more. PM me or email for info.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 AM
KJayV1611

My brother and I are always interested in a new hobby to get involved in. Right now we are into airplanes but our previous rage was cars. where is the best shop or website to purchase the kyosho mini-z they look sweet. what am i looking at spending to become competitive? thanks, Jay R.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
imxlr8ed

ORIGINAL: KJayV1611

My brother and I are always interested in a new hobby to get involved in. Right now we are into airplanes but our previous rage was cars. where is the best shop or website to purchase the kyosho mini-z they look sweet. what am i looking at spending to become competitive? thanks, Jay R.
Hobbytown used to stock them but since we stopped racing there years back, they don't stock them anymore. Online is your best source but I have loaners for sale too... between me and one of my club members, we probably have enough to build an army of cars! Our races lately have been swap meets in the morning and racing in the afternoon. It's just like any other type of RC... you could spend a ton if you want but at this scale it is really not necessary. To be competitive is based more on tire combos and driving skill. I had one club member just throw different tires on a completely stock car a while back and he lapped us all (more times than I care to admit) like we were standing still!

I'll PM you directions if you wanna stop by Sunday, we start around 10am and usually finish up around 5-6ish pm.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 AM
KJayV1611

ok sounds good i got your pm, i have a couple guys interested so hope to see yah sunday.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
imxlr8ed

Cool, look forward to meeting up!
This area is dead as far as on-road RC... dirt tracks have all but disappeared as well. All those empty/abandoned warehouses in town and nobody has a track in there yet?... lame!

That's why this scale works for us... no worries of track closings!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 AM
imxlr8ed

Another great race day! Much tuning in the morning led to some close races in the afternoon! I'll try to get our results on here tonight.

I modified the layout a bit to fit it in better... I'm going to try to change it up again before the next race. I would pick on Larry's pit collection if only for it's color coordination (orange and black everywhere), but my command center in the corner looks like a real symptom of my own addiction to these cars... hard to point the finger when you suffer from the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47012.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1646987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72067.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1646988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41177.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1646989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86647.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1646990  
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM
imxlr8ed

September Race Dates:

We're going to run the 9th (Friday) in the evening, 5pm until 10:30pm.

Also, we are planning for the 25th of September, usual times for that day of 10am to 6pm.

As usual, PM me if you need directions!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
imxlr8ed

We'll be racing the 16th of October, 10am to 5pm.

If you have any questions, PM me or post here.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
imxlr8ed

Sorry for the late notice but I wasn't sure of my schedule this month. We'll be racing the 20th of November, 10am to 5pm.

I still have some fully hooked up and very well tuned cars for sale and Larry will have his usual super-discount swap meet throughout the day as well.

If you're in the area and a big fan of onroad racing... this is the only real game in town!

If you have any questions, PM me or post here.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM
imxlr8ed

We will be racing once again this Sunday, the 28th of January. We will be participating in the ISRL Series for the next 5 months and will be running all three classes, GTS, LMP and F1. Here's a link to the series homepage:

http://www.mini-az.com/isrl.html

Yes... that's right! We small scale clubs can race with people from all over the world!

Basement opens up at 9:30 am… test and tune until 12:30. Racing the rest of the day.

As always, I will have fresh 70 turn motors and loaner cars on hand. (limited number... first come, first served!)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
imxlr8ed

Here's a link to one of our A-Mains for the ISRL, we will have more vids to come.

GTS Class, 8 minute main (clockwise), 125g min weight (w/o cells), 70turn motors. Larry took the win once again!

http://youtu.be/q0k087FZ724

Our race date for this month will be coming soon!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
imxlr8ed

We are running the second installment of the new ISRL series on February 26th... 10am - 6pmish? Qualifying will start by noon, Mains should start around 3pm.

Here's the layout for the second race:

Also, here's the results page with a bit of historical data on the drivers that the tracks are named for (great job Dusty!):

http://www.mini-az.com/isrldumans2012a.html

Here's the basics from Dusty's thread:

80 Minutes du Mans
A multi-class Le Mans style sports car and prototype race.
Each race is 8min for a total of 80min run in a season.
Classes all run and scored together. Positions are for Overall, Class, and Club Championships.
LMP class: 102mm+ prototype cars. Open motor. Plastic or Lexan. Lots of modification available and encouraged. 150g min (w/o batts)
GTS class: 98mm- sports cars. 70t+ motor. Plastic bodies. Some modification available. 125g min (w/o batts)

Formula Mini World Championship
Stock class F1 cars running 70t+ motors. Some modification available. 150g min (w/o batts)
Each race is 8min for a total of 80min run in a season.
Driver and Club Championships
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 AM
hornbyrc

hi;

would like all info. on racing and directions on how to get there..have had a mini z but no place to race..would love to be a part of your club and also get in some racing!!!!!

thank you steven j. dunn
Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
imxlr8ed

PM sent... like I said in my PM you are probably looking at a 4-5hour drive.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
imxlr8ed

We will be racing the 22nd of this April, 10am - 5pmish?

PM me for further information as always.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM
imxlr8ed

We are racing May the 11th (Friday night), 5pm to 10pm.

Current classes are:

F1, 70turn motor, F1 style tires only

LM Prototype, 50turn or less modified motors, must run Autoscale LM body, 102mm wheelbase only

Stock Racer, 70turn motor, any Autoscale body, 98mm maximum wheelbase

PM for details, directions... we always have loaner cars ready to go so if you're near the area and have to get your on-road fix, we'll be here!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 AM
hornbyrc

thanks for info..; keep me posted.. right now i have an 88 yr. old mother who is in the hospital; so most of our time is spent with her.. hopefully she'll get better and i'll have time to pursue other interests.. thanks again and keep me posted; wish there was more tracks in the north east like florida and california.. have my mr-03 allready to go but with mom have had no time to practice-pretty rusty.... thanks again............
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
imxlr8ed

Hope she gets well soon!

Yeah, I too wish there were more shops around as well! NYC area has like 3 major shops with tracks for the Mini-Z, DC has a bunch of clubs as well, Philly has none? (could never figure that out myself)

Yet every year, there seems to be another Z club popping up from out of nowhere so I'm sure there will be one around there eventually.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
imxlr8ed

Raceday! June 24th...

We will be running the Sunday the 24th this month. Thinking of running BTE#8 with HFAY this time around.

If you want to race the entire world, just show up and we'll show you how! HowFastAreYou.com is the first true online racing series anywhere in the world! Check their website for all details!

Once again, we have all kinds of loaner cars available for use so all's you have to do is just show up and race!

PM me on this site for details!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:04 PM
imxlr8ed

We will be racing this Sunday, July 15th 10am til 5pm... just have to bring your driving skills!

PM me for details!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 AM
hornbyrc

thanks for update.. have been working on the car, hope to have it done soon!! been adding new parts to suspension and frt. end..will not help my driving but sure looks good..

thank you;
steven j. dunn
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM
imxlr8ed

Sooner you get to a track, the better. First time I went to a real event with these cars, it was non-stop education on 1/28th scale!... and I'm still learning stuff!

Here's a link to my last tuning debacle:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38189

I got it all worked out, but it's always something when you're tuning for tenths!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
hornbyrc

my problem is i bought a mr-03; then found out later everyone who races race mr-02....so i talked to frank at atomic mods and he said i should start with rear end-adj. motor mount-soft t-bar-dbl. rear shock-ceramic differential....then up front for now-low down knuckles and springs......back in the 70.s when i had two miniz you did not have all this stuff..my wife says same thing-go race but haveing never raced in many years and being 67 i want things to be right first time out..i know they say it is your driving not so much the car that wins....oh well it is fun and expensive but that is why we do it..so as you see have not raced and allready have $170.00 more invested..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.