Community
Search
Notices
RC Regional Racers & Bashers Speak with other RC car fanatics from your local area

Charlottesville Racers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:29 PM
slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

ooppsss
Old 06-24-2005, 02:30 PM
octospider0

ah hell, Rodney is in the store. I can see him on the camera. Hope he doesnt know im here the 10 cricket buying idiot!
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM
trackman

Hah, sounds like a family reunion in the making!!!
back at ya billy boy.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
dockman2

Bill thats not a tv moniter... ITS A MIRROR!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
slicks

Hey Scott -- How did it go with the track this evening? Keep us posted. I'll try to get out there tomorrow (Saturday) - but not sure if I will have the chance too or not.

Hey Christian -- good luck at the Tilt Yard this weekend.

See everyone on Sunday.

Maybe this will be the day that we finally see if Rodney and Bill are the same person or not!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Alpharaptor

ORIGINAL: slicks

HHHMMM - Super Dave ---- well I can see it if he gets rid of the all black - goth type look

No banjo play'in in your near future huh Kevin? Hey - you never said what kind of "back-up" buggy you got.

Matt - what weekend are you talking about - Sunday July 3rd? or Sunday June 26th? The plan is to run at Scott's on June 26th. As for July 3rd - I don't know where we will be running yet. I know that Wayne wants to get his track up and running - but has some big contracts/jobs going on that have kept him very busy lately.
I'll be there next weekend, June 26

If its not a problem, could you drop me off at Toys R Us again?

Yeeeessssss! Can't wait to get out there this weekend...
Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
SManMTB

Thanks Joel!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
dockman2

OK the left side of the track is completely changed. Its a little longer and its deeper(farther away from you as looking from drivers stand). For those with those high dollar high speed motors, SORRY, this is going to be a DRIVERS track.
I did a basic layout tonight and we should have the pipe laid out on Saturday. We may not have any jumps set up for Sunday but the new layout will provide enough challenge for Sundays race. The left side of the track is going to be deep loose dirt and the right will be hard packed so tire choice will make a difference. Those Panther Komodo tires are looking real good for Sunday.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Super_Dave

Well the black came from living in NJ... That and the hair kept a lot of people from talking to me .

As far as my ego goes I think I am still the newest regular racer here and haven't dropped off the top 3 except for that 1 hot starting problem I belive. Last time I checked 3rd place was a podium position and if there are trophies and prizes involved you do get some of it. I'm still getting there and I think the changes I've made on my buggy should make a big difference but I gotta see how it goes. Even if I beat Scott or Kevin fair and square I don't think any of this is going away so I my aswell go along with it.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 AM
dockman2

Dude what the Hell are you talking about. Your responding to an off hand comment made 30+ post ago. It would help if you made some reference like a quote or something as to what your responding to.
Thats it!!! No more gluing tires for little stampy. The fumes from the CA are getting to him![]
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 AM
slicks

Matt --- June 26th is tomorrow - not next week - but yes I can drop you off at Toys R Us no problem. I guess that means you have a ride out to the track correct?

Dave --- dude - if we didn't like you we wouldn't be picking on you! You are correct in that you have proven yourself to be a good driver very quickly (wish I was that good!) - so just let the jibes and joke roll off your back and join in!

Old 06-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Big Stampy

Has Dave gone thru the......initiation....yet?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Alpharaptor

ORIGINAL: slicks

Matt --- June 26th is tomorrow - not next week - but yes I can drop you off at Toys R Us no problem. I guess that means you have a ride out to the track correct?
Yea, I have a ride there, no problem.

Cya all at the track tomorrow!

Edit: Btw, Sunday is the first day of next week. (Yea I know, I'm being a smart ***** )
Old 06-25-2005, 07:53 PM
slicks

the initiation hasn't started and that is my fault ..... can't find a dead cat anywhere and Amanda got real mad at me when I asked her just how much she liked her cat

I am looking forward to racing tomorrow and running on the new lay-out! Manders won't be there -- she came down with a real BAD cold the other day so she is kind of out of it due to cold meds. This too shall pass.

SLICKS
Old 06-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Alpharaptor

I am looking forward to racing tomorrow and running on the new lay-out! Manders won't be there -- she came down with a real BAD cold the other day so she is kind of out of it due to cold meds. This too shall pass.

SLICKS
Jeez, somethings going around, two in my family came down with a cold the other day.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:21 PM
octospider0

twas a good day today, given the heat and Rodney (503 degrees JESUS!)
I like the track setup. Miss the straight stretch but nice change I think.

Hopefully more will bring their MT's next week for a bigger class.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Super_Dave

Very good day of racing for me . Everyone seemed to have a problem with running 5mins on fuel at first but I think all the buggies just richened up a bit today because my motor wouldn't even get up to temp on my first practice compaired to yesterday it was running great.

Scott gave me a rush I never got in r/c before in that race because he was always fairly close to me and I know he still had a bit more. Everytime we would spread apart he would always pick it back up but one tiny mistake by either of us and there was a whole lot of ground lost. We both made mistakes but I don't think I would have won if I didn't have Scott out of the starting gate.

Chris how did you do down at the tiltyard?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:02 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think we should just start calling rodney MR 503!!!. alright next week i will pull out the savage and maybe just maybe MY NEW BUGGY!!! that is if it comes in by then. now i don't want everybody to give me crap when it get's here. but i guess i'll have to deal with whatever you guy's say about my driving. remember i can only drive so bad considering i've never driven one. SHOULD BE REAL INTERESTING. see ya
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
ZRaceman01

My day was not so good. my stuff would not run right so can somebody give me Rodney's number so he can tune my motor for me.

Later
Eddie
Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 AM
trackman

Chris fill us in what happened .How did you do?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 AM
trackman

The master of suspension geometry is starting to back up his EGO.
The new generation has put the pressure on us old folks.
Sit back and enjoy the moment dave.Im not ready to roll over yet.
That was a great race .You won clean and honestly.
No excuses you just out drove me.

BUT CAN YOU DO IT 2 WEEKS IN A ROW?

down but not out
SCOTT
Old 06-27-2005, 07:30 AM
slicks

Man -- it was just too hot for me yesterday. I have to be carefull when it gets that hot because I get heat exhaustion easily - and when that happens it pretty much shuts me down for a couple of hours. I didn't even realize how hot it was and how exhausted I was until I got home. Scott - I may have to take advantage of your air conditioned building on days like that. Probably the best thing for me to do would be just to stay home - or just go to watch and not race.

I don't know what was going on with my engine -- other than the fact that it is an OFNA. Last weekend at the race it ran great, yesterday, either it was too rich or way overheating (295) - nothing like MR 500!! (Mike I think that that is a good name!). My take on Mr 500 is that if there is anyone that can get an engine that hot, let it cool down and get it started again - it would be Mr 500!! Eddie, I think that I may let him tune on my engine too!

I liked the track lay-out, but miss the long straight section too.

talk with y'all later
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
SManMTB

OK here is the 'race report':

There were 50 cars in the Joe class and only 25 in Pro so those guys were probably disappointed with the pro-rated price money.
5 groups in Joe and 3 in Pro. I was in group 4 of the Joe class. There was 4 qualifiers of 15 min each so lots of time to get it right.

The day stared early leaving home at 6AM and showing up at the track at 7.15 or so to set up the Gazebo and tables. I had been there on Friday tuning the engine so it ran ~230 - 240F. And yes I ran the RG again. I was considering putting in the MAC but the explosive power would have been to much for me to handle.
Racing started at 9.00AM and continued ALL day. A tight schedule and great organisation made everything smooth.

Q1.
Started out good during warmup, got refilled and off we went. My nerves were on the outside so it was a bit shaky and just when I started to get a feel for the track the front dogbone came out. [>:] End of Q1 after 4 laps, bummer. It turned out that I had put the car together the wrong way. The coupling on the rear diff is slightly different front to rear so I mixed them up. The 'cup' was just a bit to short so the axle came out. I put a rear axle in the front and the problem was solved.

Q2.
Got a pretty good start running my race trying to be smooth and consistent. Somehow the pressure line on the pipe had came loose so after 22 laps it died and I we couldn't get it started again. It felt better than Q1 and I was still learning the track.

Q3.
This time I ran 15 mins and felt much smoother than before. I was 'in the zone' for a while doing pretty decent laptimes. The best was 25.7s. Ofcourse when I was called in to pit I lost concentration and made lots of mistakes. I got 31 laps.

Q4.
Pretty similar to Q3 but I was trying to go a little faster and ofcourse it didn't pay off. Didn't get a good rhythm and eneded up with 30 laps.

The TQ had 37 or 38 laps in the Joe class. TQ in Pro had 39. The top guys were really good and it was fun to watch. They did consistent 23 and 24s laps with no or very few mistakes.
31 laps took me to E-main. The car handled well but had a slight oversteer while breaking heavily so I set the brakes so they engaged just a hair with the radio in neutral. Turned out to be very good. I just had to let go of the throttle going in to the fast turns and the car would slow down just enough to make the turn nicely and then on the throttle again going out.
I ran the 'stock' setup with 40wt front and 35wt rear. A used a new set of Crime Fighter M2 which I used the whole weekend. Having a weaker engine and not being super aggressive really saved the tires. The super fast guys ripped up a set in 15 mins and had a new set for each heat. [X(]

Day 2 started just as early as Saturday.

A-mains were 1 hour and the lower mains were 30 mins each. 2 drivers could bump in each main. 1'st bump got paid $80 and second $20 so there were some money to earn if you could bump all the way to A-main but also A LOT of driving.
They started with Joe F-main and then E-main so I was up at around 10.00AM.

E-main.
Got a good start and was up in 3'rd or 4'th spot for a while. Trying to start out slow (not super slow) and get in the zone. Managed to get a nice flow and got the jumps timed perfectly and ran pretty good. The 2 guys who bumped from F were obviously very fast and I think they were one of the regular 'fast' guys who have had bad luck in qualifying. I had no chance of keeping up with them.
My driving was so so and as usual right before the pit stop my laps were horrible. The car stalled in stop one and we lost one lap while getting it started again. The rest of the stops were almost perfect. I guess 5-6s at most.
The first 5 to 10 mins are the worst. I had the same feeling as I had while racing boats. It takes some time to get calmed down and be fast.
The rest of the heat was fairly smooth but to many small mistakes made my lap times go down towards 29s with a few good laps in the low to mid 26s range.
I finished 4'th in the heat with 60 laps. The winner had 69 and the second 66 if I remember correctly.

I am pretty happy with the weekend since I ran better and better through out the weekend. I can say that engine power was not the limiting factor, it was my driving. The RG is capable of doing high 25s laps around the track no problem. If I can get down to doing consistent 26s laps I could have done 68 or 69 laps and possible bumped up.
The track is not difficult to drive on but it REQUIRES that you take the correct line and time the jumps. One mistake in the dual dubble jump or other parts of the technical section just ruins the the lap completely.

My rookie pit crew did an excellent job [sm=thumbup.gif] and w ran a conservative 5min schedule just as Kevin suggested. 6mins or even 6 1/2 min would have been possible. The Pro drivers had it down perfect making only 1 stop in the qualifiers and doing around 8mins on one tank in the mains.

There are going to be more races up there this year with a more normal $10 - $15 entry fee. I for sure are going again and I really think You should go at leat once as it is a great track and a very well organized race. The track is awesome.
Check out the results at [link=http://www.tiltyard.com/]Tiltyard.com[/link].

See you soon.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
slicks

Good Job Christian! Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
trackman

Can anyone help me set up my suspension geometry? How about you Bill. Iknow you been studying real hard to
become a certified expert

And yeah i probly will make small tweaks to the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.