Community
Search
Notices
RC Regional Racers & Bashers Speak with other RC car fanatics from your local area

NEW YORK CITY BASH

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM
GaryAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW YORK CITY BASH

Cool, Joe. I was out at FBF today breaking in the engine and hope to be out there again tomorrow between 12-2:30
Let me know if your heading over.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Voxmagna

Anyone got a similar 7.2V NiCd 1500mAh+ Stick with Standard adapter for roto starter
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM
E-MaXX360

I own 35+ lipos. How would i do the storage on that. lol
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM
CranKitUP

My engine arrived! It actually came yesterday....losi 454..aka lrp spec 3. I havent even had time to open the box. Ill install it and break it in Tomr afternoon in a near by park in Canarsie. Ill have everything set up and tuned by Sunday. Ill try to get to the spot as early as possible. I Got to stop by the hobby and get some more fuel so I wont have to worry about running out the whole day.
How did your break it process go Gary? And what fuel u running. Im tryin to get some 25% byrons
Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Voxmagna

DEL
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
GaryAH

How did my break in process go? lol... it broke. Literally.
I am pissed at myself, I have experience with nitro engines and had my last truck running like a gem. I had run a bout 5-6 tanks of fuel throught the 8.0 during break in, mostly high idling and a bit of slow driving. At the 6th tank I started driving around faster but not crazy. Leaning out the HSN a bit more while still seeing lots of smoke at high speed. Then the engine just stopped. I go over to seeand I noticed the head was way too hot. I had to leave , so i packed it up and when i came out again in the evening with my son the engine would not start. Tried iginiter batteries and new plugs, nothing. The engine fires up during cranking briefly but almost feels like its firing in reverse rotation as it sorta snaps the crank back in the opposite direction of the roto start.

I am pretty sure i overheated the motor and damaged it on that last breakin run. Most likely the piston and/or sleeve. I decided to order a new one (thanksfully they are not too expensive and got free shipping with no tax from RCplanet). I'll have this one for parts in the future!

Another mistake was not cutting out a hole in the windshield to help get air flowing over the head. This is a sensitive engine it seems, learned my lesson. Honestly though, I did try to rush through the breakin and it bit me.

Thats my sad story.

BTW, Crankitup I run O'Donnell 20%
Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
joe831ny

So you cant make it Sunday? And I thought we were meeting in BK? EmaXX already said he wanted to come to brooklyn?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
GaryAH

No, which has me thinking I really need another vehicle to have on hand in case one is down. I too thought the meet was in BK, so thought I missed something when I saw Voxmagna post about meeting in Hauppauge
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
CranKitUP

yeah..we spose to be meeting in back if gateway mall (bjs).
Dam..that sucks Gary. Im headed to go install and back in my engine right now. I plan on doing the heat cycle methed. I Hope all goes well.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Voxmagna

sorry about the confusion but is it Brooklyn or Hauppauge?[&:]

your 8.O block should still have warranty under Team AE.

Note: MGTs run Hot.
MY 4.6 does 250-301max WOT
outside temp(85*F)
fuel: 30%
plug OS#8
i dont know your carb since 2 diffident exist for the 8.0
remove your airfilter look and set your carb idle space a speck more than a standard key thickness.
go back to factory settings with everything else .
[link=http://youtu.be/jLJNYm0cVQU]Watch video for help on starting [/link]
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
GaryAH

Thanks, Voxmagna. The warranty is pretty lame. It says they will replace engine for 1/2 the manufacturers retail price which according to their price list on the warranty for the 8.0 comes to 134.00. they want 9.00 to ship it back and of corse I would have to pay to ship to them. Comes out to almost 160.00 and time and packing, etc. New engine complete from RCplanet.com is 174.00, no tax and free shipping. Just made sense to order the new one and have it here much faster than waiting for the whole process of the warranty and shipping back and forth. Also the warranty does not cover overheating or other "abuse" and so I have a feeling it would be easy to see the piston or cylinder was cooked.

Yeah, the idle screw i opened a bit so it would idle almost as high as it could without engaging clutch. Problem was I did not pay attention closely to engine temperature throughout the tuning process, and your right this engine gets hot fast and without warning. cutting the vent hole in the windshield is a must too as the head sticks out of the back but is surrounded by side and front body preventing good airflow across it.

I had started off with the factory settings and tweaked slightly from there after the 4th and 5th tank. I will probably order a piston and cylinder from rcplanet (64.00) and see if I can rebuild this one and have a spare eventually.

I'll check out the vid, thanks for the link.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Voxmagna

Try to swap out the 8.0s flywheel with the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=ASCC8647&P=K]MGT4.6 fan Flywheel [/link], better cooling. check compression.
ohh forgot to tell you dont lean it out to much they run on the rich side, but not too rich.

rich = more fuel in there = more lubrication = cooler run
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
joe831ny

This week, the spot behind BJs, I put directions how to get there and you made a facebook event saying that it would be there
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
CranKitUP

My break in didnt go as plan either.......
I didnt even have to break in new engine...or even install it. Since my current engine is a lrp spec 2 the pullstart from new engine fit. all I did was change the pullstart....and it fired right up. I had a feelin sand just messed the pullstart up and didnt go thru the engine.
So I im just tuning now and ill be all set for Sunday.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
joe831ny

Good to hear, so sand getting past the filter wasn't to blame? Regardless, don't forget to put on a few zip ties this time
Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
CranKitUP

When my truck flipped over the air filter got caught up in the sand...sand inside played a role..but the starter was actually slipping before that....either sand inside or me tryin to get it back started wore it out.
Honestly..the ony reason why I checked to see if the pullstart would work is because I couldnt find the hex key to take the engine off chassis . Glad I checked it tho...but after hearing sooo many good reveiw I was really itchin to run the spec 3.
I also found a spin start wand that has a 7.2 battay in it. I had it for backup in case the pullstart string broke. u can use the battery if u need vox...but I cant find the charger...still lookin for it.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
E-MaXX360

I JUST THINK EVERYONE SHOULD JUST GET BRUSHLESS, THAT WOULD SOLVE EVERYONE PROBLEM

J/K, Haupauge, Thats 5 min away from me. Whats in haupauge? So we r meeting in the parking lot of B.J's? what time should I be there? About 11a.m.?
Just charged all my batteries, Went over everything and made sure everytthing is good. Im hoping for 10 ft jumps, Im crazy with my e-maxx.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
joe831ny

Your right everyone should go brushless lol. So how long it take to charge all those batteries? Yea I said 12 but maybe 11 is better since it might rain in the afternoon. Sunday though not tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 PM
CranKitUP

one day ill get an electric buggy...but for now i like the sound and small of NITRO engines. I actually like the workings and complexity of it...offers more of a challenge. Even tho things are waaaay different now, but when i drive electric it reminds me of my old radio shack r/c's

But sometimes, i do wish i can plug and go. Brushless and Lipo has made electric much more interesting.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
CranKitUP

ill prolly get there around 10-11...maybe earlier. i would like to walk around a lil before we run...the spot is very big and we've only seen a small section....bushes hide parts of it. [8D]

....and im going to drive back there and park near the bushes...like i did last time.

edit...u say 10ft jumps EMAXX?? 2 years ago when i use to go back there there was 20ft+ jumps someplace back there . Not sure if still there tho...need to scout.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
GaryAH

I feel the same way, Crankitup. I like the multi dimensional aspect of nitro with its sound and smell.The challenge and complexity is intriguing and rewarding when you get it dialed in. I do like the simplicity of electric and the torque of the elctric motors especially now with brushless and lipos are amazing. As much as its a pain to tune and maintain the nitro engines, its equally so with charging and balancing the lipos and maintianing their efficiency. Each have their own ups and downsides... I would be happy running whatever I had actually.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
E-MaXX360

A lot of people say that about nitro, They love the sound and the smell of it. I know what they r saying, But i rather go for the torque and speed and reliability. All i see is people struggle with nitro and i am so thanksful i dont have to go through that crap. I still have my HPI baja 5B. With a 30.5CC motor that I upgraded from a 23cc. All i did was change the piston and the crankshaft. Put a nice tune pipe on. Does anyone have short course trucks?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
E-MaXX360

U know Im down for 20 footers!! Look at my youtube page. I made my e-maxx indestructable. Im not sure if i should bring my hpi savage flux tvp 1/5. Unless u guys would like to see it.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM
E-MaXX360

By the way. My name is Victor. im 31. How old are you if u dont mind me asking?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
GaryAH

Hey Victor, I'm a grandapa! 48. I was heavily into racing Losi electric off road buggieswhen i was late 20's. actually have some A-main trophies on the shelf. I was into planes for a while with an Ultimate Bipe totally overpowered that flew vertical and hovered like a helicopter. got into photography for awhle
www.garyhellerphotography.com and then my son Kyle (he is autistic) became interested in RC trucks. got him an electric stampede. He loves it and drives it well. got me the itch again anmd decided to get a Monster nitro... Long story short....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.