RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

Big Stampy 12-31-2005 04:23 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

I love competition Rodney. It's good for the soul.

slicks 12-31-2005 04:51 PM

so what kind of business are you going to invest in / manage?

Big Stampy 12-31-2005 04:55 PM

I think the implication is a hobby shop Joel. You would be surprised just how unprofitable it can be Rod.

SManMTB 12-31-2005 04:59 PM

I saw someone buy a CEN buggy today. :D A new face at t he track maybe.

slicks 12-31-2005 05:11 PM

a hobby shop -- ok

Christian - no not a new face - an old one! That was Shawn. He used to race out at Scotts mostly electrics - but got in to airplanes in a big way and we really haven't seen him for about 2 seasons now. He has got the itch again!

nitrogirl 12-31-2005 08:43 PM

hi kevin

dockman2 01-01-2006 03:03 AM

OK, I feel special!!! Amanda actually posted and it was to me.:D The rest of you eat your heart out.

Hope to see everyone tomo... whoops... today at Scotts. Should be a good way to start the year! CORR Rules![8D]

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 07:48 AM

Stampy......."503" is buying you out??!! [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 08:05 AM

OK....now for a serious question:

Does 30% fuel reduce the life of an engine? I am thinking about running 30% in all my vehicles so I don't have to keep buying 2 types of fuel. The TTR I got in a trade runs on 30% and I know you aren't supposed to switch back. If there is really no harm done, I might just bump them all up.

If it does reduce life, do you know by how much (approx)? Remember, I don't run my vehicles a 1/5th of what you guys do, so wear and tear is not as much.

Thanks for any help!!

slicks 01-01-2006 08:21 AM

Joe - not sure why you couldn't go back to 20% - all you would have to do is re-tune the engine???? I do know that with some engines if you go to 30% you have to add a shim to the head so you don't have what is termed pre-ignition (where the fuel ignites before the piston reaches top center).

Happy New Year --- oh and aren't we the early bird this a.m.???

Big Stampy 01-01-2006 10:37 AM

I would not sell Stampy's. All I plan to do in 2006 is improve it in every respect.

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 10:53 AM

Happy New Year --- oh and aren't we the early bird this a.m.???
It's called a 2 year old.....you know the deal!! :D

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 10:55 AM

Joel:

From what I gather, when you run 30% you can lean it out more which causes the sleeve to expand more than it would at 20%. If you drop back down to 20% you lose compression.

If I am wrong anybody please correct me. Plus I have a full gallon of 30% I do not want to go to waste!!

SManMTB 01-01-2006 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Smokinjoe6450

OK....now for a serious question:

Does 30% fuel reduce the life of an engine? I am thinking about running 30% in all my vehicles so I don't have to keep buying 2 types of fuel. The TTR I got in a trade runs on 30% and I know you aren't supposed to switch back. If there is really no harm done, I might just bump them all up.

If it does reduce life, do you know by how much (approx)? Remember, I don't run my vehicles a 1/5th of what you guys do, so wear and tear is not as much.

Thanks for any help!!
Not being able to switch back to 205 is pure BS. I have seen that stated here on RCU so many times and I don't know who started it.
It's BS!!

30% will not reduce life in terms of wear on pisyon/liner but it puts more stress on the rod. A good engine will handle it just fine although some have reported broken rods with the RG.
Running more nitro will increase fuel consumption so you loose some run time/tank.

SManMTB 01-01-2006 11:25 AM

Joel:

From what I gather, when you run 30% you can lean it out more which causes the sleeve to expand more than it would at 20%. If you drop back down to 20% you lose compression.

If I am wrong anybody please correct me. Plus I have a full gallon of 30% I do not want to go to waste!!
Completely wrong! When you run more nitro you need to richen up the engine. The extra oxygen in the fuel makes it possible to burn more fuel ----> more power.

slicks 01-01-2006 11:29 AM

Joe -- Oh Yeah -- been there and done that with the 2 year olds!

I am going to go out to Scotts in a little bit -- I'll try to remember to ask him your question - never having used 30% I am no expert on that issue. Your summary may be correct. Kevin is planning on being out there too -- between the two of them they should know. Christian has been racing nitro for a long time too - he may be a good source for your answer too.

Well - the weather looks like CRAP today! But I am heading out to Scott's anyways - if it warms up a little more I'll burn a tank or two. We put a couple of tanks thru my back up buggy yesterday and I got the fever now!

slicks 01-01-2006 11:34 AM

See -- I told you that Christian would know the answer! He beat me to the punch!

SManMTB 01-01-2006 11:40 AM

I am heading out too. I just woke up so I'll be a bit 'late'.[:o]

See you there.

dockman2 01-01-2006 11:43 AM

Late night Chris? Im glad I dont do that stuff.;)

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 11:43 AM

Thanks Christian!! That makes me feel better. Looks like I am running 30% until this gallon is gone. Plus if I can get 5 min w/ 30% I might just stick with it if it gives more power.

Smokinjoe6450 01-01-2006 11:46 AM

Now that I have an audience.....do you break in an engine w/ the fuel you are going to use, or do you recommend the "break-in" fuel?? I have always used my regular fuel.

SManMTB 01-01-2006 11:48 AM

Now that I have an audience.....do you break in an engine w/ the fuel you are going to use, or do you recommend the "break-in" fuel?? I have always used my regular fuel.
Break it in with the fuel you are going to use.

SManMTB 01-01-2006 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Late night Chris? Im glad I dont do that stuff.;)
Nothing really heavy - just stayed up late with some good food and wine. Last day for two of my room mates in the house. They've been up since..... early, packing stuff.

slicks 01-01-2006 11:54 AM

Yep - I agree - break it in with the fuel you are going to use/race with.

hhhhmmmm - well Kevin is up and awake --- wonder what shape Scott is in? We shall see!

503 01-01-2006 07:44 PM

Joe you pick at me[8D]

Get that truck ready for next Sunday it looks like we will have alot of MT runing, you dont know how happy Iam seeing buggys and MT runing at the track.

If I find out my truck hight is going to hurt me Im going to lower the truck by useing smaller shocks.

Hope to see you next week.

"503"[:@]

I will call one of you on Thursday or Friday to find out the race spot, I will be at work and when I get of I rarely get on line but I will have that truck broken in if I have to show up at Scotts or Kevins whith a case in one hand and my truck in the other.