RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

SManMTB 07-24-2005 10:53 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

I think we have a deal on that stamp Kevin. :)
:D:D

Aaah, you are right Kevin. Those OFNA shoes made the buggy handle bad. I need crappy Kyosho shoes to get the right balance in the setup. [8D]

Super_Dave 07-24-2005 11:02 PM

I'm running those crappy ofna shoes and never had a problem :)

Yeah sorry that "I had an awesome day today though not much competition" did sound a little bad. I know Eddie would have been on me and I'm sure Amanda would have been up with me too but I just had a great start and got out ahead early while everyone was still fighting eachother.

SManMTB 07-24-2005 11:12 PM

Good for you Dave, I am probably not going to run them again (but you never know). I need the Kyosho carbons.

Never said the OFNA shoes were crappy, just that they don't fit properly. ;)

dockman2 07-24-2005 11:19 PM

Hi Bill.

dockman2 07-24-2005 11:26 PM

Damn, Mike and Matt are here also.

Sorry I havent had more to say but Ive been cooking up a couple of steakes for breakfast.

octospider0 07-24-2005 11:29 PM

hi kevin

SManMTB 07-25-2005 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: slicks

Hey Stephen good to see you here.

OH-MAN ---MIKE I forgot to see if I had an extra glow plug for you! Sorry about that - I think I do have a McCoy 8 or a 9 too - let me know if you need it - again, I am sorry for not looking for it while you where there today.

Well - I had fun today - even though I had a couple of screws back out - still had fun. Now that we have a full day of running the new buggies I can see where I have some set-up tuning to do. I don't like how the buggies squat in the rear with the stock springs - way too much of a weight shift. I know that I used the blue springs on the ofna and they made a big difference.

Don't mess with the springs. You don't want harder springs in the rear at Scott's. Oversteer galore.

dockman2 07-25-2005 12:05 AM

Hey Bill, glad to see you made it home from the beach OK. I guess you drive a real car better than A RC one![sm=lol.gif]
Are you working tommorrow? If so I will bring that servo by.

octospider0 07-25-2005 12:08 AM

yea ill be at the store after 2

slicks 07-25-2005 06:46 AM

Christian --- Does Kyosho make carbon shoes for that buggy? I did put the ofna carbon shoes in both of our buggies (didn't want to mess with the metal shoes) - what do you recommend? Scott what shoes are you running in your Kyosho?

What clutch springs did y'all use? I put the springs that came with the kit (Kyosho) in both of our buggies along with the ofna shoes. I used the ofna shoes because they weren't that old.

Any thoughts as to where the racing will be next weekend?

I really like the new layout. It didn't look to be difficult - but there are a couple of tricky sections in there that really keep it interesting.

SManMTB 07-25-2005 10:10 AM

Yes Kyosho makes carbon/teflon shoes but they are +$20 for a set, way too expensive.
I usually use the black teflon shoes Trinity makes for the MP6/7.5/777 from Tower, $6.70/set, with stock springs.

I like the track, much better than the previous layout.

WatcherKid 07-25-2005 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Watcherkid(Steven)- stop telling people how to tune motors on other threads, even if your right.;)
If I'm right....... :D

Glad you like the 777, Matt.

slicks 07-25-2005 10:59 AM

I looked at the Kyosho parts listing and it looks like the stock clutch springs that come with the kit are 1.0 - I did notice a hesitation with the throttle - so that explains it. Just have to get used to it is all.

WOW! $20 for a set of clutch shoes!! WAY too much.....

Hey Stampy can you look into the Trinity shoes that Christian listed above to stock at your shop? I don't need them now - but will in another month or so.

Big Stampy 07-25-2005 11:08 AM

I have been buying from Trinity directly for a couple of weeks. I have to call them this afternoon so I'll look into the shoes and post the info later today.

dockman2 07-25-2005 11:22 AM

Joel- 1.0 springs is pretty much standard. You can get lighter (.9) which engages quicker before the motor spools up. That helps prevent wheel spin on loose stuff. You can also get 1.1's which lets the motor spool up a little but then it hits harder.

Any reason you dont want to use the aluminum shoes? I run them in my Jammin pro and my XB8 with no problems.

Big Stampy 07-25-2005 11:25 AM

Tower is currently out of the teflon shoes. I just ordered 12 sets. Should be in Wednesday or Thursday and will be $6.69.

slicks 07-25-2005 11:37 AM

wow - very cool Stampy -- thanks

Kevin --- the aluminum shoes wear out the clutch bell faster and can also develope metal spurs on them that can cause all sorts of problems ---- or so I have read!!! (I knew you would like that :D). Also - I spoke with Christian and Scott and they told me that they tried the aluminum shoes on their Kyosho's and it wasn't too long before they switched back to the composite shoes.

Yep -- I knew about the size of the clutch springs and what effect they have on the clutch engagement...was just curious what everyone else was running with.

dockman2 07-25-2005 11:55 AM

Like I said I havent had any problem with aluminum shoes. They grab quicker so they dont slip as much. With carbon shoes they slip more and then you get that buildup on the inside of the clutchbell that needs cleaning out. Now I have read(yeah I do it to) that the Kyosho shoes were softer and dont hold up well but I havent tried them yet.

SManMTB 07-25-2005 12:22 PM

My experience with the Kyosho Alu shoes are that they work good for a short time and they wear out fast. They have a nice grip but I like the carbons better and they hold up very good.

The Trinity shoes are actually made by K-Factory. Great that you are stocking them Stampy. [sm=thumbup.gif]
I think it's wrong to call them 'carbon' shoes because they are soft, more like teflon.

Joel -- I think the hesitation you experienced was because you run your engine WAY to rich. It stutters all the way down the straight. Lean the HSN.

fourwheels0 07-25-2005 12:52 PM

hey kevin get ahold of me about your buggy and what you might be interested in for trades. you got my #. and if and when you go to waynes. see ya[sm=idea.gif]

slicks 07-25-2005 01:16 PM

Christian -- I am sure that my buggy needs some fine tuning on the engine- yesterday was the first day of running it since it was broken in the previous week. Up until yesterday I had only about 5 tanks thru it.

My problem is that if there is any other noise going on at the track I can't hear much of anything unless I am right up next to it - so if you hear something wrong with my engine (like you did yesteday's with Amanda's) please let me know. There really wasn't much opportunity for me to run my buggy with no other buggies out there yesterday and it was running ok and I had no problem making the 5 minute time frame -so I left it alone until I could bug one of you guys next week to listen to it - I know it needs some fine tuning. You may have gotten Amanda's and my buggies mixed up as for the last race I used her buggy but put my body on it so who ever was calling out the numbers for Scott didn't get things mixed up.

Like I said - thanks - I'll take all the help I can get!

Scott gave me some pointers on set-up tunning which I'll try to get changed over to this week and Stampy has the parts that I lost at the track yesterday in stock at his shop - so I can get those and put the steering back together -- AND LOCKTIGHT THE CRAP OUT OF EVERYTHING!!!!

I am going to set-up Amanda's buggy like Scott has his so she can continue to kick some boy butt out there - just thought I would give you guys a fair warning :D:D:D.

Hey Matt -- good job yesterday!

Mike -- sounds like you are giving up on your MBX? I don't know - but don't can the buggy just because that Force engine is giving you trouble. Do you have other options?

Alpharaptor 07-25-2005 02:01 PM

Glad to say the pics turned out darn good! Click below to see em...if you would like to use one as a wallpaper I'll send you the high resolution version.

[link=http://img339.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pict00339tl.jpg]Click HERE to see the pics![/link] [8D]

Btw, I liked the new track setup, better than the previous one!

trackman 07-25-2005 02:42 PM

IM GLAD EVERYONE HAD A GOOD TIME . I THINK EVERYONE LIKED THE TRACK.
AND THANKS AGAIN TO STAMPY FOR ALL THE PRIZES HE PROVIDED.
AS FAR AS I KNOW WE WILL BE AT WAYNES THIS WEEKEND.
KEVIN I WILL HAVE MY COMPUTER BACK THIS WEEK. IT IS FIXED.

fourwheels0 07-25-2005 04:43 PM

slicks no i'm not giving up. it just need's to be dialed in and that is the frustrating part. seeing it's my first (you never forget your first) buggy it need's more setup than i thought it would. as far as other option's their's alway's other option's.;) hopefully i'll get to race this thing soon. p.s. using amanda's buggy is a infraction of the rules. 2 lap penalty for you.haha. see ya

Big Stampy 07-25-2005 06:15 PM

A lot of peeps have been using Futaba 3305 steering servos. They are rated at 124 oz. torque at 6v. You might want to take a look at the new JR Sport servos I just got in. They are metal gear and rated at 142 oz. Better yet they sell for $33.99. The JR Sports servos are compatible with all major brand receivers.