RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

Super_Dave 10-25-2005 03:03 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

I'd like to got to the CVRC race but at the moment it just seems to far to drive. I guess I'll have to see by this weekend it would be a lot of fun to go down there and race on a different track.

Scott I'll try to show up if I finish everything and get off work early.

503 10-25-2005 09:12 PM

Tell Doris if I get off in time to have a lot of real food "meat" and Im looking forward to raceing with you in the MT class. Is it a costume party for I can tell the wife. I will call you later in the week depending on what time I get home is weather I will log on or not. Be prepared with that MT[8D]

Someone please keep me up dated on the race this weekend I might get lucky and race

13-14 hours a day in the Hotel it sucks bad, I cant have any fun I wanted to go to Waynes vary bad

Im not getting up off my golden screwdriver

Edie sorry for not calling you back

"503"[:@]

slicks 10-26-2005 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: 503

Im not getting up off my golden screwdriver

"503"[:@]
Rodney -- hate to say it -but I hope that that was a miss typed phrase and that you actually meant something else!!! If not - well then that is just way too much info for me :)

Smokinjoe6450 10-26-2005 09:06 AM

Rodney -- hate to say it -but I hope that that was a miss typed phrase and that you actually meant something else!!! If not - well then that is just way too much info for me
[sm=lol.gif] I was thinking the same thing.

fourwheels0 10-26-2005 11:27 AM

rodney we thought you would like that trophy BUT come on that just a little too much.[X(]

chipr 10-26-2005 05:22 PM

Is this what we need to buy as a club ? Or something like this (this product may be complete crap - not sure)

http://www.rclapcounter.com/Order.html

thanks
chip

Big Stampy 10-26-2005 05:32 PM

The AMB system is the industry standard and would allow you to do as many cars as you could get on the track conveniently. They also do timing for NASCAR, horseracing, boats, planes, you name it. The transponders are around $80 each but the way the guy from Roanoke does it is better. He has 20 rechargeables in a charger base and just hands the transponders out for each race. The entire system would be around $3k but I already have the software and that was about a third of the cost. Trying to get everyone to agree on anything is another story.

http://www.amb-it.com/modules/?name=System Component&scID=5&systemID=1

slicks 10-26-2005 06:11 PM

Chip - those run off the batt pack in the car - I agree that the set-up the guy in Roanoke has it the best way to go if one was looking for a transponder system. As Stampy stated - the AMB system is the standard and yep - it is expensive.

Are you researching this? Just curious.

HPIKID18 10-26-2005 06:20 PM

Hey guys, I have checked into these as well. They are a good price BUT... They need to be mounted in a section on body that is unpainted(infared sensors). Not sure how clean the area would have to stay? Also, they "read" to a overhead bridge that houses the receiving unit. Just a matter of time before someone takes that out. LOL (see MY driving).... The biggest problem I would be worried about is the lack of a solid case. The PC board is covered with what looks to be a pretty thin plastic, not sure if they would hold up to the rigors of 1/8 scale racing.
If you decide to try them, by all means post a report on how they perform.

chipr 10-26-2005 06:41 PM

Stampy - thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm a newbie, so I really had no idea what the product of "choice" was - the link I presented was really a road mark to make sure I was looking in the right direction - no so much the product itself - but good to know that I picked crap ;-).

Is this the same system that the guy out at Harrisonburg uses ? sorry - I've forgotten his name. It seems to me the brunt of the costs is the decoder - everything else seems "reasonable" once you break it out on a per user basis. How many transponders are required, outside of the obvious, one per driver for the immediate race - would you need one for every single person racing on a particular day - or could we cycle them though the drivers per race ? Just curious if the record keeping software locks in on the transponder as it's assigned to the user for the duration of the event, or if it's flexible enough to be assigned per race ?

chip

Big Stampy 10-26-2005 06:46 PM

The transponder numbers are unique, no two are the same so it is possibe to do this two ways. Everyone can own their own transponder without fear of duplication. OR, the 20 can be used race to race. The transponder is assigned by number to a racer in a given race. On the software the operator pulls up the heat, C Main, B Main, whatever and assigns the transponder number to a competitor in that race. The prep work is done prior to each heat or main by the operator. The rest is simple.

Homer uses this system at the Tiltyard and I believe Linville has it too.

chipr 10-26-2005 06:55 PM

I just re-read Stampys post - it say's "per race" (race=main?) so we wouldn't necessarily need to purchase 20. We could cycle them in-between mains, correct ? (though that would slow things down)

From the AMB site - the "loaner" or rechargeable transponders weigh x4 as much as the direct powered ones - why wouldn't you want to use the direct power ? I wouldn't think that it would be that much of a hassle to install/setup or that much of a drain on the batteries... set me straight if I'm off course here.

chip

Big Stampy 10-26-2005 07:02 PM

You need to buy 20 with the re-charger. No, you likely won't use all 20 but that is the cheapest way to get what you need along with the charger.

BTW, I think we will hold an open house here, both as a thank you for everyone's biz and to introduce the new lines. Since Scott is doing this coming Friday night I will likely set it up for the following Friday evening. Details to follow but we have picked up a lot of new lines, both in r/c but also in trains, planes, diecast etc.

There is more but I will reserve that for the open house.

chipr 10-26-2005 07:39 PM

O.K, I'm not trying to be difficult, so work with me here... if the group is serious about getting a system - then it needs to be done in the most cost efficient manner possible.

Static - the decoder is $2155 and the Detection Loop is $133.

The Personal Transponders are $760 for 10 or $1520 for 20 VS. The Recharging station $444, which does not include transponders - for 10 rechargeable it's 1150 or 20 for $2300

I'll post the question again... does it make more sense to get the direct powered transponders or to go with the rechargeable ? I've calculated a cost saving of $1224 going the direct powered route... but again.. I have no experience on this.. so I might be missing something here... I realize that it's not always about the bottom line...

I guess what I'm getting at is that I've spend a $!@$ load of money getting into this, the cost of a personal transponder isn't that big a deal. I'm willing to purchase one for the club.. I'll be doing this long enough to get my money out of it. Then all we need to do is figure out a way to get a decoder, that seems to be the biggest cost, and the issue of owership is yet another problem. I for one don't want to be the guy that buys the decoder... but I'm willing to throw some money in for one - I see the value.

$.02
-cr

Big Stampy 10-26-2005 07:44 PM

The only direct experience I have with a system besides AMB was for the Mini-Z. It is a passive powered system and has it's pluses and minuses.

As I said before I will donate $500 toward an AMB system. It would seem a lot of issues need to be settled by everybody else first. I am not interested in arguing or agitating. Decide what you guys want to do or if you even want my assistance.

slicks 10-26-2005 08:39 PM

Chip -- tons of good questions! Not sure where everyone is racing this weekend - I do know that Manders and I are heading down to Amherst to race with those guys at one of their private tracks -- I know others have said they may be interested but no commitment from them yet.

Back to the transponder system -- I would be happy to talk to you about the system and what my experience is with them as I am sure Scott or Kevin would along with Stampy and others. Kind of hard to do on line :).

While I am in Amherst on Sunday one of the things I hope to accomplish is to get a copy of their club by-laws as they have organized in conjunction with privately owned tracks (2 of them) and they are saving for a transponder system. I am interested in seeing on how they make it all work. We have lots of options - we just need to figure out if they are worth chasing as a group.

Big-ED 10-26-2005 09:51 PM

If anyone decided to do this I would vote for everyone buying their own transponders.
You got $2288 in the bank chipr..:D
No really maybe everyone could chip in and do it as a group thing,(I'm not talking about a club thing here.)we could get something in writing that says if we sell it later on everyone that chiped in gets an equal cut.
IF we had 15 people it would be like $150 ea.
I also wonder if we could rent it out at other races or host other races with it to get some of the cost back.

or everyone that chiped in would not have to pay to race at scotts or waynes (if they aggreed of course) for like a year then after that the system would be owned by scott and wayne.

I dont know just talking sh#!

Super_Dave 10-26-2005 10:10 PM

I don't see a problem with what we have now. As long as no one minds running it... which we are going to need for any system anyway. There aren't so many things to keep track of with what we have now you just need the laptop and printer... no transponders. Yes, it would be nice to have a system that you just set and let it count by itself and will be accurate to the tenth of a second (which Kevin is just as accurate anyway most of the time :)) but I think spending the $2000+ can be used for more usefull things. For example buying good dirt to use for jumps, berms, covering large areas of rocks (we have pleanty of places to get dirt at Scott's but not so much at Wayne's unless he wants to clear the grass out of an area and designate that for getting dirt). Paint for pit lane or the line Kevin uses to count on. Other things like pipe, a starting gate, calcium or some other small things we would need as well. The money can be put into prizes or trophies for certain weekends. I just don't see why we should spend so much money replacing a system thats already working fine when we can spend the money on something that would be more usefull.

Big-ED 10-26-2005 10:12 PM

Way to go starting something chipr[sm=punching.gif]...5 post and a look at you.[sm=lol.gif]

Big-ED 10-26-2005 10:17 PM

I know theres no problem with it kevin does a great job. (kevin I would like to see you raceing more, the more competition the better).
IF we had such a system would it not be better to also time practice laps, laps after making a tire change, etc?
I'm just wondering if it will make us better with time?

Super_Dave 10-26-2005 10:21 PM

Yeah you could run an AMB system by yourself just set it and go run untill your tanks empty and check the times after. If Kevins around you can ask him to give you a time trial too. Practicing I have a lap counter on my transmitter so I use that but I know most people don't have it.

dockman2 10-26-2005 11:15 PM

OK I did a whole long post but it got wiped out. I typed to slow. The basic jist of it was you need the rechargeable system to cover people that dont have a PT but you only need a 10 set system. With the extra loop to cover both tracks your looking at $4000 bucks. At $10 to race and an average of 10 racers a week your looking at a year to get that considering non race days due to weather etc. It can be done but it will take a while.
Is it that important? If so then cool lets do it. If not then I agree with Dave to spend the money on the tracks and Trophy races.

SManMTB 10-26-2005 11:56 PM

Lap counting is cool and all but keeping the two tracks we have now in shape is even cooler.

slicks 10-27-2005 07:00 AM

I would agree that we don't need a transponder system as we have a good system with the software that Kevin has and a lap top -- it works just as well. I would also agree that the money could be used for track needs - like water, dirt, pipe, paint etc.... My thought in looking at a club of some sort and to some degree is to formalize the collection of cash so everyone can take up the burden/expense of what it cost to maintain a track. Just my 2 cents worth.

frognit 10-27-2005 08:30 AM

hey its us from powhatan and chesterfield . they are underway with a huge track in amelia possibly 300 ft long with dips and banks jumps. all the cool stuff will keep you all updated. how is the track in ruckersville? i run mugen 4(1) this is the wifes my 2 are mugen 5's 1 is a prospec which is the best diff oil for hard soil. just getting into hobby thanks darryl
[quote]ORIGINAL: dockman2

dockman2 10-27-2005 08:31 AM

I have to agree. A transponder system would be cool but you wouldnt really notice a difference from how we do it now. Really the tracks themselves are more important. If the money goes to maintain and improve the tracks maybe we could increase the turn out from other areas. If so the revenue would increase and improve the chance of getting transponders down the road.

dockman2 10-27-2005 08:33 AM

It really depends on the buggy and your driving style but I usually suggest 5/7/3 as a base setup.

slicks 10-27-2005 08:48 AM

FROGNIT -- keep us posted as to that track. The starting set up for diff oil as Dockman listed below is very good.

chipr 10-27-2005 09:17 AM

Big Stampy -

My apologies sir, it was not my intent to put you on the defensive - I agree that my writing style was aggressive. Hope that there are no hard feelings.

All -

I simply wanted to understand what system we wanted and why. There have been a few follow-up posts now that show that as a group, we may not all be on the same page and that a transponder system is not necessary. I had heard a lot of discussion about getting one.. that's why I started this up.

I'll back out now - let me know what my involvement (if any) will be in the purchase of this system. I'm curious to hear....
peace
-cr

Big-ED 10-27-2005 09:25 AM

Your involvement would be $2300 please..:)
Are you trying to run this weekend?

ORIGINAL: chipr

I'll back out now - let me know what my involvement (if any) will be in the purchase of this system. I'm curious to hear....
peace
-cr

slicks 10-27-2005 09:35 AM

Chip -- no problems at all. You asked good questions -- if you don't ask then how are you to learn?

chipr 10-27-2005 11:39 AM

Yeah - I really do want to get out there and run this weekend, weather permitting, wife permitting (not necessarily in that order) I felt like I was finally getting the hang of it last weekend with a few decent runs and want to build on it. Finally getting over being scared to open it up on the straights... besides, my fear is that it'll be too cold in the next few months to run, then I'd have to start all over again in the spring - like to build up as much experience as possible.

$2300 ? in trade, food stamps, will "network" for a decoder ;-) ... let me know. Seriously - I'd be willing to throw down some bucks...

-cr

Big-ED 10-27-2005 11:53 AM

Hey guys I picked up 30 feet of tubing and some spray paint for the track.
If someone could bring some stakes for the pipe that would be great.

slicks 10-27-2005 12:05 PM

Where is everyone running this week? I am heading down to Amherst (track #1) not sure who else is going - I know that Scott said he may be interested - but hasn't finalized it yet. Looks like good weather for the weekend.

Big-ED 10-27-2005 12:08 PM

I'm going to try and go to waynes, unless people are running at scotts.

Big Stampy 10-27-2005 12:14 PM

BTW, I have an annonymous donor who told me to go ahead and buy the AMB system. We can make this happen but I don't want to proceed unless the "club" thinks it is needed.

Big-ED 10-27-2005 12:16 PM

....annonymous donor .....chip I new you would come thru..[sm=lol.gif]

chipr 10-27-2005 12:25 PM

nope - wasn't me, someone beat me to the punch... ;-)

Big-ED 10-27-2005 12:27 PM

i would order a couple of pd transponders from you if this happened.

ORIGINAL: Big Stampy

BTW, I have an annonymous donor who told me to go ahead and buy the AMB system. We can make this happen but I don't want to proceed unless the "club" thinks it is needed.

Big Stampy 10-27-2005 12:30 PM

If this all comes to pass I will keep a few transponders in the store to sell. It is always easier to have your own so you don't have a lot of switching around. But for folks that don't want to put that money into it you would still have the 20 rechargeable setup.