RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

octospider0 09-26-2005 03:37 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

no I wasnt there Joel, was in Greensboro, yet another trade show. If things go well, (big if) i might be able to come out Sunday.

Big-ED 09-26-2005 07:47 PM

HI guys my flywheel/endbell fells real gritty and kind of sticky.
How long do clutch shoes last? how about bell bearings?
I'm going to go into it and see whats up, I just wanted to get a little input.

SManMTB 09-26-2005 10:12 PM

It all depends. Everything from 5 mins to a gallon or so.

Super_Dave 09-26-2005 11:02 PM

Thats what happened Sunday when I was going to start my buggy for that last tank I found out the bearings were chewed up so the clutch was locked. Bearings do tend to fail often on these... I have about 8 extra sets of bearings because of that. If your running carbon clutch shoes it could have broken around where the pin slides in and that locks up the clutch too.

dockman2 09-27-2005 01:02 AM

Scott, even though I love the way your PCR handles I really cant afford to do it. Ive got some other things I need to do plus I just dropped to much money on RC stuff. I didnt get a new car but Ive got an Iwaver Tank on the way so let the battle begin!:D I also have the LRP brushless ESC coming and the NEO motor. I guess I will have to call my XX4... The One! Cant wait to strap that bad boy in.
With the deal your making on the PCR you shouldnt have a problem selling it. With motor, servos and all the parts its a steal.

slicks 09-27-2005 07:13 AM

Big ED -- those kyosho metal sheilded clutch bearings don't last long at all. I keep back-ups as Dave said. Back-up clutch bearings are a must have. Stampy usually has them - I found that the ofna bearings last a long time. While you are at it -- have him order you a couple of tubes (10 ea per tube) so you'll be set. He can get them at a good price that way. Go with a teflon or rubber sealed bearing - they provide a better barrior to dirt/dust. If you used the metal shoes - yep - you'll want to check those too! I know that Kevin uses metal shoes in his XRAY - not sure what brand they are - but he will tell you that there are only one or two brands to use - so I would check that out with him if you plan on using the metal shoes.

Hey Bill --- good to hear from you. Hope to see you out at Scott's on Sunday. Did you get that new engine?

Has anyone heard from Joe in Amherst? I know he was trying to decide on an October race data - don't know if he finalized it or not.

So Kevin you are going to do the brushless motor in the XX4!!! Man - just put some wings on that thing because you know it will want to take to the air - that thing is going to fly! Tanks huh? I have got to see these things in action. I have read articles where they set up cities and have contests etc... with them - sounds cool.

Hey Scott -- Trevor (the guy with the Jato that comes out to your place and helps marshall) may be looking for a buggy - I know he wants one, its just a matter of budget with him he said.

trackman 09-27-2005 07:36 AM

joel a few people are interested. cash talks.
buggy goes like it sits minus receiver. motor, servos, batt,starter box, 3 bodies, parts on the wall.
allyou need is put in a receiver and go.
as for kevin and his brushless buggy, i aint scared of no ghost!!!!
i think i got something for him.

Big Stampy 09-27-2005 07:46 AM

I have 2 Kyosho MP777's left. Time to get my money out of them and move on. Sold 3 on eBay. First $250 takes. There are 10 Iwaver tanks on the way. It helps to have pull at Hobbico. Cost will be $89 and they will be here by Friday.

slicks 09-27-2005 07:47 AM

Scott -- that is a good deal -- that has the Mach .26 in it doesn't it? Surprised Rodney hasn't jumped at it. If Trevor shows up on Sunday - I'll tell him about it.

You and Kevin haven't put on a show with the electrics in a long time --- looking forward to watching that!

Big-ED 09-27-2005 08:00 AM

yeah my clutch bell fells smooth, its the flywheel that fells real rough.
Do you guys pull the flywheel off every now and then to clean behind it?

trackman 09-27-2005 08:19 AM

yeah joel considering kevin hasnt ran for a few months he was only 1 second behind
dave driving my buggy. wasnt concerned about selling it but i need the cash. the radio
is still in it if anyone wants to drive it. looks like great weather for the weekend!!
looking forward to running the xxx-4.

SManMTB 09-27-2005 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Big-ED

yeah my clutch bell fells smooth, its the flywheel that fells real rough.
Do you guys pull the flywheel off every now and then to clean behind it?
At least I do that after every 3 or 4 weekends. Otherwise I wash my engines with soap and water, and then a hefty dose of WD-40 followed by some ATF or after run oil inside.

Big-ED 09-27-2005 09:32 AM

Cool thanks for the info.

SManMTB 09-27-2005 09:40 AM

Just keep the WD-40 + oil from the clutch. ;)

I actually wash them in soap + water and then I take them apart.

trackman 09-27-2005 09:43 AM

chris i must be doing something wrong. i havent taken my motor off the buggy
since day one. i guess im just running on the clean part of the track.:D:D:D

dockman2 09-27-2005 10:11 AM

Thats not it. You just dont get as much dirt thrown up at you when your in front.:D

dockman2 09-27-2005 10:22 AM

Joel- yeah Im putting the brushless in a XX4. Its not that Im looking for insane power, if I was there are better setups, but I just dont have the time to work on stuff like I used to plus Im lazy. I dont feel like cutting comms and changing brushes. Plus for what you pay for a Race ESC and motor the brushless set up is only a little more and last practically forever. It might be something you want to think about for Amanda's xxx4. Xmas is coming up! Oh wait... she reads the threads dosnt she?:D:D:D
Now as for me being able to drive the XX4... that may be a different story. Thats been a reeeeeally long time but it will be fun to get them back out. I would be cool to get some other classes to run. Hopefully Randy will bring some guys up. Then Scott can get out the LST so they dont think we are just buggy guys.

SManMTB 09-27-2005 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: trackman

chris i must be doing something wrong. i havent taken my motor off the buggy
since day one. i guess im just running on the clean part of the track.:D:D:D

Well, I must be doing something wrong then. My buggy tends to collect a few pounds of dirt every time I run.

Maybe Kevin is right [:@]

dockman2 09-27-2005 11:14 AM

Chris your not doing anything wrong. Hell you put on a great show in Amherst. Its just that Scotts so darn fast. I tell you what, this weekend you get his attention and I will "tweak" his chassis.;)

fourwheels0 09-27-2005 11:24 AM

you guys are killing me. i can barely run a CHEAP buggy and now we're talking tanks,electric buggy's,monster trucks. my god i've got to find another job. :D

dockman2 09-27-2005 11:35 AM

Nah, you just have to learn not to spend money on anything else, like food, real cars, a place to live etc. You have to get your priorities straight.:D

fourwheels0 09-27-2005 11:46 AM

i'm not worthy i'm not worhty bow to the master. i never knew it was that easy. wow i just saved a bunch of money.:D

dockman2 09-27-2005 11:53 AM

The key though is to save enough to buy beer.;)

SManMTB 09-27-2005 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Chris your not doing anything wrong. Hell you put on a great show in Amherst. Its just that Scotts so darn fast. I tell you what, this weekend you get his attention and I will "tweak" his chassis.;)

Ahhhaa, the famous 2" x 4" mod is it? ;)
:D

slicks 09-27-2005 12:59 PM

No I think that Kevin likes to mod the chassis with a tree if I recall correctly......something about the curve of the tree trunk and the curve of the chassis!

Christian - if you only bring home a few pounds - then I must be bringing home a whole truck load!!!