RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

ZRaceman01 06-16-2005 03:43 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

We have a family thing we HAVE to go to on saturday. But I will probobly see you later saturday.

Dave my dad is going to Six Flags and I want to go to the race. If he goes can I ride with you?

octospider0 06-16-2005 06:09 PM

looks like im in for Sunday. 8:15 damm! oh well ill see you guys at toy's or us. I should have room in my truck for a couple of cooler and such if there is need.

Joel, what was the final on electricity there?

Bill

slicks 06-16-2005 08:25 PM

Hey Matt -- glad to see you are back among the living :)

About 3 or 4 of us are heading down to Amherst (near Lynchburg) to enter a race on Sunday. Not sure what is happening at Scott's this Sunday being Fathers day and all. But keep in touch here as we hope to be racing out at Waynes soon. He needs to do some final work at their track. We hope to start a point series race once that track is up and running - should be fun.

talk with you later.

slicks 06-16-2005 08:33 PM

Bill -- Joe's message to me was that electricity will be available -- he didn't say how many outlets or where they will be stationed. That is one of the reasons I want to get there early is to check everything out and not have to worry about waiting in line to use something before the race. I would recommend that you charge everything up before you leave. Can you run your charger off of your car battery?

See you at Toys R Us -- glad to hear you are comming along, are you going to race?

octospider0 06-16-2005 09:46 PM

yea, im going to give it a shot.

both my chargers will run on my truck battery so if need be that wont be a problem

dockman2 06-16-2005 10:44 PM

Hey Matt your more than welcome. That buggy was just sitting around collecting dust anyway. You might want to try and change the parts over before you come out. Its a pain to do it at the track. In fact if it was me I would take apart the whole buggy I gave you and make a parts box from it. It will make it much easier later on.
We can work on the setup. If its bouncing on landings then the shock oil is either all gone or to light.

Joel I wont be able to come out Saturday after all. I have to work from about noon until 10:30pm so thats a bust.

dockman2 06-16-2005 10:54 PM

By the way Joel the fuel bottle didnt disappear. What I meant was that it seems Steven took the half bottle you gave him and then filled it up off of my bottle. Then he put it Scotts shed, after putting his name on it and marking the level on the bottle. He is a little too "slick". Only reason I even care is he didnt ask and he only left me enough for one tank.

Super_Dave 06-17-2005 12:26 AM

Well Scott your day will come. It would be nice to race you where you don't have the home track advantage but it sounds like your a little scared to race at Amherst. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Eddie, Screw the race I wanna go to six flags! I have to race anyway I have my sponsored body I'm gunna run so yeah I'll drive you there. If you aren't up I don't like waiting especially if you might make us late.

I'm stripping down my buggy too. I have the center drive shafts/cups that I needed so my buggy should be running like new. As well as some new center diff oil. Somehow I got a ton of mud in there or something so that made it locked as it is but I'm gunna go to a little but of a lighter oil.

dockman2 06-17-2005 08:50 AM

Wow, sounds like someone is living in a fantasy land called youth! You dont actually think Scott has only raced on his track do you? Wait, its the only one you have raced on so you probably would be at a disadvantage. You have to actually win a race before you talk smack.
Sounds like someone else we know. We might have to change his name to Little Rodney!

trackman 06-17-2005 11:00 AM

THATS RIGHT DAVE KEEP KICKING THE BEAR
KEVIN I FORGOT TO PUT FUEL OUT FOR YOU .ITS BEEN A LOT GOING ON THIS WEEK

slicks 06-17-2005 11:21 AM

Keep kicking the bear.... that is a good one!

Looks like Amanda and I may be able to make it out to Scott's Saturday afternoon to do a pre-race check of the buggies. Kevin - sorry that you have to work on Saturday -- is that the sound of a new buggie I hear???? hhhmmm - sounds like we need to change my name and give it to Steven? UH by the way that is not how I got the nickname slicks!

Fast Eddie - - don't be late because that will make you guys late to Toys R Us - AND I DON"T LIKE TO WAIT EITHER!!! :D

Guys - don't forget to bring a table and chairs and all of your tools and parts with you.

talk to y'all later

octospider0 06-17-2005 12:03 PM

Dave kicked the what?

Scott, there is a little button on the left of the keyboard, says caps lock. CLICK IT!

Super_Dave 06-17-2005 09:26 PM

At Amherst I don't think Scott or me would have an advantage over eachother besides his experience because its going to take some setting up by both of us. You can call me whatever you want but the day will come sooner or later [8D]

Super_Dave 06-17-2005 09:57 PM

I am talking a lot but I know with my experience as of right now isn't enough to help me much against other talented racers but all I need is to try out a few different tracks to see how my existing setup changes in handling. I'm still getting a lot of shock oil kinks worked out I think they are still to dampened and my diff oil needs a lot of changing but untill I get the time and variety I need I wont learn as quick as I know I can.

dockman2 06-17-2005 10:23 PM

The key is to get a good base setup. You would be surprised that after that it wont change much no matter what track your on. Most pro drivers have a base setup they like and then they dont change it much from track to track. Its only when there are big differences between tracks that you will be making bigger changes. The best thing you can do is run your base setup and learn the track.

Super_Dave 06-18-2005 01:08 AM

I know that already racing has been my life. I'm still trying to find that but thats what I mean by shock oil and diff oil... mainly with diff oil I haven't found something I am completly comfortable with yet but I just need some more time to tinker with it. :)

Its the same with my dirtbike one track I always raced at was extremly ruted all the time and lot of accel and braking bumps 1 to 2ft deep. To mess you up it also had quite a few big jumps but I set my front end stiff to skip over the accel bumps mainly and rear a little soft on dampening with a little quicker rebound to keep the tire planted threw them (I feel comfortable with a stiff front end anyway so thats how I left it) On the smoother track I would soften the front a tiny bit and take some rebound off the rear.

dockman2 06-19-2005 01:10 AM

Man you guys got quite on here. Everybody just juiced up about the big race? Someone remember to take pictures of the track. Also remember to talk to the locals about coming up here to race. See what most of them run and let them know we will run that class also. Dosnt matter what it is. We have enough guys with Stadium and Monster trucks that we can get a class going and electric what ever shouldnt be a problem either.
Did everyone think to bring a pit man since the Amain is 10min long. I expect you guys(and young lady) to be in it. Just remember the pit man is the boss. He needs to time the race and yell to the driver at the 5min mark to pit this time around. If there is a problem with the buggy its their job to get it going again as fast as possible and back on the track. The driver needs to remember to keep tapping the gas for the restart. Team effort and such.
OK enough of the Mother Hen stuff.;)
Good luck guys and let me know how it went.

SManMTB 06-19-2005 07:59 PM

Scott 2'nd, Stampy 3'rd the rest I don't know. I think I was 4'th.

It was a nice day in the field. I like the layout of the track except the big jump on the main start finish line. I was way to steep and high, probably designed for trucks.
I got a few pictures but not many.

Super_Dave 06-19-2005 08:11 PM

Some kid with a $1000 mugen buggy got first and he was a good driver, Scott second because that kid raced a little dirty and bumped him on the first lap. I got 3rd and I don't know how it went after that. Very good racing to all and thought I still need to find a setup with more steering it was mostly a drivers race. There was a some what tricky but easily avoidavle whoop section but when when Scott went threw it with that kyosho it still just flowed right over them just like it did around the rest of the track. Amanda was deffinatly holding her own jumping from the heats straight to the A main and she was doing damn good for it being what her 5th or 6th race? It was a very good layout but I do like supercross setups so I would have liked to see a tripple some doubles and that main double needed a lot of work but overall a beautiful layout and a very good view of the track on the driver stand. The double was like being shot threw a cannon and trying to land on a dime basically, it was a very sudden lunch at about a 45 degree angle and the landing ramp was about 9 or 10 ft back and maybe 8 inchs high. Whoever built it put an outward arch in the middle so you would leave the ramp only half way up and easily clear over the top. Also the track constantly changed a lot all day especially after our morning practice.

P.S. Scott got TQ!!! and we sure did show them us C-ville racers aren't just some backyard bashers.

dockman2 06-19-2005 08:20 PM

Bill what was your take on the race. Youve been lurking on here a while.

SManMTB 06-19-2005 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Bill what was your take on the race. Youve been lurking on here a while.

I offered him pickled herring. I am not sure how that affected his racing. :D

slicks 06-19-2005 08:43 PM

I think Christian took 4th - - - Manders took 5th and I took 6th. I had to win the B Main to bump in to the A. I really liked the track - about the complete opposite from Scott's track. Although I do think that the technical section of Scott's track helped all of us as the Amherst track had a lot of turns and really only one straight section. I agree that the main jump needed work for 8th scale buggies - but most of those guys run the trucks and for the trucks it was probably good.

I really had a good time - and ran about as hard as I could - so I am happy with my performance.

Super_Dave 06-19-2005 08:49 PM

Well I don't think any jump that you only get half way up before you get airborn is really a good jump. It wasn't a problem jumping it if you hit the right line it was really stable... the problem was the tiny landing ramp.

Super_Dave 06-19-2005 08:50 PM

And Bill did pretty good. He was fighting with Joel for a while untill he started making a lot of mistakes and it got worse from there so Joel took 1st in the B main and moved into the A main.

trackman 06-19-2005 09:00 PM

yeah i think BILL had a GREAT day . actually I THINK everyone HAD a GREAT day.

P.S.bill I FIGURED out THAT button YOU were TALKING about.
HAVE A LOVELY DAY . RODNEY