RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

fourwheels0 06-19-2005 09:04 PM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

hey kevin i got about 20 picture's of the track. some nice action shot's ( i hope ) i'll get them developed tomorrow. real nice track and good people too. i talked to a couple of guys who might come up to run monster truck's when wayne's track is done. i didn't think scott wanted to have truck's at his track but i didn't talk to him about it yet so we'll see. couldn't run my truck because it was like driving on ice with the tires i have. looks like i have to buy tires for that. AFTER i get my buggy. all in all a real good day. see ya.

Super_Dave 06-19-2005 09:13 PM

I would also like to know about racing next sunday... mainly could it be at waynes track?

SManMTB 06-19-2005 09:17 PM

The mega race at the Tiltyard next weekend is mighty tempting but I need pit crew for that. Otherwise a race at Wayne's would be cool.

slicks 06-19-2005 09:18 PM

I agree -- I think that everyone had a great day. All of the trigger time we get at Scott's track that has both speed and technical sections was a great prep for this race. It took some getting used to - all that loose dirt - but it did make it interesting.

I know that for the B Main Bill and I got to run on a very damp track and what a difference that made! Yep - Bill ran about as good as he has ever run - an engine that works makes a huge diffference! Especially that RG -- I am still impressed with that thing. The other engine that was ripping it up was that MAC that Scott had in his buggy - that thing really screamed today!

Man -- everyone has improved so much in the past couple of months -- well, except for me -- I think that the next time we race I'll be in the B Main all by my self while all you guys make it to the A :D:D:D.

fourwheels0 06-19-2005 09:26 PM

SmanMTB by the way got any herring left. mmm good. haha.

SManMTB 06-19-2005 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

SmanMTB by the got any herring left. mmm good. haha.
I've got plenty of tghat stuff. ;)
Thank you for being teh pit man. [sm=thumbup.gif]

slicks 06-19-2005 09:31 PM

OK - now I know why Bill didn't stop at the diner with us - he went in search of more herring!!! :)

dockman2 06-19-2005 09:44 PM

Yeah I had already talked to Scott before you guys got back and on here. It sounds like it turned out as I had predicted.

By the way Scott, you were only supposed to touch the "CAPS LOCK" button ONCE then never again. Use the shift key for capital letters.[X(]

Super_Dave 06-19-2005 09:59 PM

As far as organising it was better then I thought it would be... I figured we would be running the A mains in the dark. Things did get a bit tough during the mains because there was no staring gate. The rolling starts worked pretty well but I think someone should tell Joe about the cheap but very quick to make and effective starting gate that Scott made only have the gate about twice as tall so the monster trucks can't get on it to easy.

dockman2 06-19-2005 10:57 PM

Usually at your big races your pit man holds your buggy. We did that at the Tiltyard. You would go do warm up laps and then pull up to your pit man on the straightaway. The pit man would top you off and then hold up the rear until the starting tone.
I still like the starting gate for what we do.

slicks 06-20-2005 07:59 AM

I liked the rolling start - worked for me -- but then again I was last in line so I didn't have to worry about anyone behind me. We did do the picking up the buggy or holding up the back end process too - that worked ok. In fact when the truck guys saw us doing that in the qual rounds - they started doing it too.

All in all I thought it went well. If you think about it there were a lot of races held yesterday. Including the mains there must have been between 15 and 20 heats/races in total.

trackman 06-20-2005 08:15 AM

Hey Dave i wouldnt say it was dirty driving . I was in the wrong place to get out of shape . As close as we were it was
probably unavoidable. It was my race to lose and i did. Justin ran a perfect race so hats off to him.
Actually justin did me a favor he made me push myself harder than Ive been used to .
Dave we will have to keep an eye on you and Amanda . Both of you have made a big jump in driving ability.
hey bill does my spelling suit you now?

slicks 06-20-2005 10:26 AM

Scott - your buggy was really glued to the track yesterday. I am really impressed with both yours and Christians buggies and the way that they absorb the bumps and jumps on the track - I may have to see if I can afford a Kyosho buggy. I think that I am at the point where a better buggy would help me. I know that I will never be the top driver due to my eye sight - but I think I am ready for a better buggy -- just need to figure out how to afford one :D.

Dave was smooth yesterday -- good job. However the person I thought showed greatest improvement was/is Bill -- I think that that is the best I have seen him drive.

After thinking of the different types of starts -- I have to agree that I think that the starting gate does work the best. But even that doesn't eliminate any bumps or crashes.

Big Stampy 06-20-2005 11:18 AM

I wanted to take the time to thank the Charlottesville contingent for racing at Amherst yesterday. You could probably tell Joe is a one man show right now. I committed to sponsoring a race in September for him and hope you can all make it then.

As for your local series I am very happy to do whatever sponsorship may be needed and to help in any way I can. In fact, if there is interest in getting an AMB system I will kick in the first $500. While my shop is supposed to make a profit so it can exist it is only fun with the likes of "our" guys there. Happy racing to all.

trackman 06-20-2005 11:25 AM

jOEL late in the day your eyesight is probably still better than kevins or myself so i dont want to hear that.
I will admit that a better buggy is easier to drive. your buggy has seen a lot of laps and fuel far more than any of mine
Check with stamp he was going to see if he could find the 777 for what i paid. I think that would be a great buggy
for you at a great price. I would buy another in a second at that price.
As for Bill now Rodney should be scared !!!!!!!!
I guess i dont notice Chris as much because he kinda showwed up being a good driver.
I think everyone had their best day yesterday. I know i did.
Has anyone heard from noshow Eddie??????
He missed a great race.

trackman 06-20-2005 11:33 AM

hey stamp remind me of the next race . I had a good time and im ready for another road trip.
If you find the kyosho at a good price let me or joel know.
I think joels ready for the next step.
I think everyone was impressed with how the kyosho handled the track.

slicks 06-20-2005 01:44 PM

I know I am ready for another race in Amherst -- I had a great time and I know that Manders did as well. I believe that if she doesn't have a conflict she would jump at the chance to go to another race.

hhhmmm...........a new buggy, I may have to strike while the iron is hot on that one! Yep - Amanda and I were talking that both of our buggies have a lot of time on them and they are taking me more and more time to get back into running condition. I must have spent a good 20 hours on Amanda's buggy last week (and 2 trips to Stampy's) getting it ready - just a lot of little things to check. Although Amanda said she likes her buggy the way it is. I think that if she drove a new one she would love it. After I put the new clutch bell (13t) and fixed it up and Scott put the last tweak in on the engine needles - she wouldn't let me touch it! Well until her muffler came off - I guess she figured that was a "safe" fix :).

I was thinking that if I did get a new buggy - I could take all the good stuff off of both our buggies and build a new one for Manders - I have a relatively new chasis at home (from the parts buggy I got from Stampy) and it is in great shape - so I could piece together a good buggy with all of the parts. I think I smell a plan brewing!!!

HEY -- that is a good question -- what happened to Fast Eddie!

SManMTB 06-20-2005 02:32 PM

Joel, don't be afraid of eBay. ;) Just look carefully...

Here are a few examples:
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49213&item=5982212 397&rd=1]Kanai 2 with Sirio .21. 8 hours left. Now $550[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49213&item=5982772 065&rd=1]MP777 brand new. 6 days left, now at $182.[/link]

I would go with a 777 considering the MP7.5 is not made anymore but you can find great deals on the Kanai 2 or 3 models.

slicks 06-20-2005 02:42 PM

Christian -- I have bought some things off of e-bay in the past. I guess that I am just a bit leary of going that route. Like you said you have to be careful. If I do get a Kyosho - it would be the MP777 for the exact reasons you stated. Just have to make sure it is something that I can afford considering Aaron's college room and board that we pay. But that one link you sent sure does look like s sweet deal - but I am sure that the price will go up in the next few days and particularly in the last 10 minutes of the bid time frame. From what I have seen the items are not always that much less than what I can do locally here - and if it is close I would rather the money be spent here/locally and I don't have to worry about shipping etc....

octospider0 06-20-2005 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Bill what was your take on the race. Youve been lurking on here a while.
I had a really good time. Joe put alot of work into it and that goes along way! IMHO the track was set up for MT's (gotta build a track for what most people are driving and that is without question monster trucks there). The main jump was just plain raw! (pretty sure I got the highest table top EVER!), but once again it was set up for MT's and they did fine with it. The whoopdeewoos or whatever you wish to call them gave me some trouble. Staying on the top and inside was the best lane but somehow I seemed to enter it fine and go too wide. The back straight stretch was difficult for visability for me. 10 ft lanes but was hard to gadge running it straight.
All in all is was alot of fun. MT racing is certainly a league of its own. Some of those guys had those trucks DIALED! Power drifting to keep rpm's up. Hitting their corners just the way they should to set up for the next one. I was impressed.

Thanks Joel for the positive remarks. I let my emotions get in the way and then starting pushing myself too hard. Hard to go fast with the rubber pointing up!

Comment on that kid Justin's Mugen. Nice buggy, fast, but honestly I didnt feel it handled better then anyone elses. It sat low and his engine spooled up fast (anyone see what he was running?) but a hyper with a good setup isnt any different.

IT was nice to race with different people, see different styles and meet new people. The transponder system was nice, worked really well. Stampy said he did pretty well there selling which in the long run will help us all. The bigger the racing scene becomes in C'ville the better it is for all of us.

The race got me thinking about have longer mains'. I think we should try a 30 minute man some Sunday just so we have to pit. Qualifying rounds should stay short and sweet but a long main will give people who havent ever done it a chance to pit and have a longer time to try to make up on mistakes. Just an idea

Everyone ran well, Amada was killin the turns!

Scott, yes you found the right button and your spelling was never in question.
Chris, herring is NOT food, its BAIT!

P.S. I took some pics (no 1/8th scale though cause I was either driving or pitting). I'll have to upload to my website and then post them here, somtime later this week.

octospider0 06-20-2005 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: slicks

OK - now I know why Bill didn't stop at the diner with us - he went in search of more herring!!! :)

No, Carter begged me to take him to Mikky D's so kinda hard to. I felt bad, I yelled at him pretty loud cause he came up on the driver stand during the race to ask if he could have a soda. lol. He had no idea what kind of stress I was going through. hehe

SManMTB 06-20-2005 03:02 PM

Chris, herring is NOT food, its BAIT!
[sm=lol.gif]
:D:D:D:D

Big Stampy 06-20-2005 03:12 PM

Christian, I forgot to get your book yesterday. If you can get that to me I will order all of the parts for stock. I was able to download the schematic for the 777 and will be ordering parts in the morning. I am going to call the order in so there will be no mistake about out of stock items. Kyosho is still having some growing pains in getting their new operation up and running, that's for sure.

There will be a couple of 777's on the order as well and they, hopefully, will be in before the weekend. I have no intention in using your message board as an advertising medium. That's not what it is intended for. But, as always, I don't intend to lose sales to the internet if I can avoid it.

SManMTB 06-20-2005 03:25 PM

I'll stop by later this week.

Big Stampy 06-20-2005 03:29 PM

Got some GREAT air shots of the buggies. Gonna have some blown up and the respective drivers can get pics of theirs. I'll post them on my website so you can take them and use as you wish. Kept wondering thru the A main where the teamwork was.....hehehehe.