RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Regional Racers & Bashers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/)
-   -   Charlottesville Racers Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-regional-racers-bashers-206/2989523-charlottesville-racers-thread.html)

dockman2 05-19-2005 02:00 AM

Charlottesville Racers Thread

Figured since there are some of us on here we could start a thread of our own. We might even get "Bill the Fish Dude" out of hiding since he comes on here.

Booyah 05-19-2005 03:17 AM

RE: Charlottesville Racers Thread

Dude, I grew up in charlottesville for 18 years! Parents still live there. Is there an off road track there now?

SManMTB 05-19-2005 07:40 AM

Checking in. :D

dockman2 05-19-2005 09:01 AM

Well its a track my buddy and I started at his house about 5-6yrs ago. It was a really small track that we ran electrics on. Over time its gotten bigger and bigger and now we race 1/8th scales on it. Its about 155ft long X 60ft wide. Its kind of become a club track and we usually have about 10-15 buggies on race day. One of the guys just built a new track in Ruckersville that is much bigger. Its about 200-250ft long and 80-100ft wide.

Booyah 05-20-2005 02:03 AM

Cool, Im coming home in Aug. with my Buggy as I was plning on going to the tiltyard to play or race. Have you been there yet? Its in Dayton,VA

maxximum_overdrive 05-20-2005 07:36 AM

hey guys, i've moved away now but i grew up in waynesboro(just across the mountain). but its always great to hear from people in va. yeah i've been there with my electric stadium, but not since i got into nitro. hopefully i'm going to get to come home this summer, and i'm planning to bring all my rc stuff with so maybe i can hook up with you guys and tear some s**t up.:D about where in the "ville" is the track? not that an about would help since i know almost nother aboout c'ville. my brother went to UVA so i kinda know the campus, but other than that......... anyway as i said its always great to hear from people back home, so lets try ot keep this thread current.

dockman2 05-20-2005 08:50 AM

We used to go to the Tilyard a lot. Homer is a cool dude and builds a great track. I havent been in a while since the 1.5hr drive is a pain and we have a track so close.

dockman2 05-20-2005 08:56 AM

The track we run at now is about 6miles north of Chville just past the Airport on Rt29. The new track that one of the guys just built is about another 8-9 miles north on Rt29 in Greene County.
Everyone is more than welcome to come and hang out with us.

dockman2 05-23-2005 10:56 PM

Well for those that couldnt make it Sunday you missed some great racing. Dave had some problems but still had his best qualifying laps so far. Miss Amanda made the Amain and if Im not mistaken this was only her second race. Us old guys are going to have to watch out for this young lady.
Some of the best racing all day was between the two young guys, Eddie and Lil'Stampy! They battled through the qualifiers and the Amain with Lil'Stampy coming out ahead to finish 2nd. Scott had problems in both qualifiers so was stuck in the bottom of the Bmain. He pulled out a big win to bump up to the Amain. Then he walked away from them to win the Amain.
It was a great day for racing and I think everyone had a good time.
Looks like next Saturday we will be working on the new track at Waynes and if everything goes as planned we will be racing there. Hope to see everyone there.

SManMTB 05-23-2005 11:09 PM

I'm most likely there. :D

dockman2 05-24-2005 12:51 AM

Chris I hope you can make it this weekend. You missed some good racing. Is your buggy back up and running?

SManMTB 05-24-2005 02:43 AM

Almost. Just need to put the new steering knuckle in. I soldered a few 6V packs from the batteries I had. Should be great with 2300mAh @ 6V.

dockman2 05-25-2005 12:22 AM

Glad to here you will be up and running. Should be interesting to see what happens on the new track at Waynes.

octospider0 05-25-2005 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

We might even get "Bill the Fish Dude" out of hiding since he comes on here.

Im here, just lurking as usual.

will be good to run on a bigger track, looking forwad to it

dockman2 05-26-2005 12:40 AM

Well Bill is back. Waynes track is more open so you will have less things to hit.:D Problem is you will be going faster so when you do you will break more of those pivot balls. I might have to sell you one of my Jammin's. The C-hub holds up better.

dockman2 05-26-2005 12:55 AM

Hey Chris, What plug have you been running in your OS21RG?

Super_Dave 05-26-2005 03:07 PM

Hey just checkin in someone came into Stampy's talking about your threads dock and figured I'd sign up too. Maybe help me on where we race at every weekend too.

Super_Dave 05-26-2005 03:12 PM

I drove on Waynes track after the A Main last sunday its pretty easy except for that one crossover jump. Its nothing special in my opinion but racing should get pretty intresting around those long corners. I still only have a 14T clutch bell gear with this M26 if anyone has a 15T they don't mind selling I'd appreciate that.

SManMTB 05-26-2005 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: dockman2

Hey Chris, What plug have you been running in your OS21RG?

Usually OS #8. I think it comes with a #5 and that works fine too.

fourwheels0 05-26-2005 11:52 PM

hey docman2 it was me that talked to little stampy about this thread. can you pm me about where the new track is. i think it's real close to my house but i'm not sure. i would like to check it out this weekend. thank's again mike

dockman2 05-27-2005 12:06 AM

The RG came with a #8 that I didnt know was in the box until after reading your post. Thanks Chris.:D

Dave, glad to see you found the thread. Do you know who was talking about the thread at Stampys? Maybe they will post on here.
The layout may seem easy on Waynes track but it get really fast when your running against other buggies and ups the difficulty level. I came up with the layout. They wanted big, fast, and something different from Scotts track. It will give us a a change of pace. Im waiting to see how a buggy handles from one track to the other. Scott is talking about setting up one buggy for his track and then another for Waynes. I might do the same or not. I want to see how this new Xray is going to do first. Ive got it ready to go. I just have to do the motor breakin this weekend and get a feel for it. Then I will start looking at any setup changes I need or want to make.
If the driver stand is ready we will be racing at Waynes on Sunday so everyone pass the word out.

dockman2 05-27-2005 12:18 AM

Good timing Mike. Sorry I havent got back to you. Im at work all the time.

Waynes track is north on Rt29 about a mile or two past Rt33. You make a right on Rt609 (I think and anyone correct me if Im wrong). Then go 2.7miles and there is a gravel road on the left. I cant remember the Rt or street name. Maybe Joel or Chris can remember. Once you make the left the track is only about 100yards or so on the left. You will see the drivers stand about 10 ft in the air.

octospider0 05-27-2005 09:26 AM

im not breaking or bending any more pivot balls, tired of that $(*&% !

see ya Sunday

i was suppose to go see Scott tomorrow at 3 and we'd go over to Wayne's so he could show me how to get there but the "honey do" list is kickin my ass so guess i have to meet up on Sunday

fourwheels0 05-27-2005 09:59 AM

hey docman2 thanks for the directions. that track is not that far from me. i'll see you this weekend.

Super_Dave 05-27-2005 10:59 AM

Well I talked to Eddie Thursday and he said they can't race at Waynes this weekend. Of corse thats only Eddies word but I guess well find out when the day comes. I don't have Waynes number so i think someone should call and find out. As far as handling difference between Waynes and Scotts my buggy did fine accept for the low end gearing. I had no problem even oversteering at full throttle around any of the corners accept when it closes in on the cross over and after. The track was really smooth when I was there last weekend I'm not sure if it changed but my buggy never got bounced around at all. I'm sure those high speeds help push that wing to the ground though too. If we do go to Waynes Eddie and me used my truck to step on the get up to the driver stand if there isn't a ladder or anything. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Super_Dave 05-27-2005 03:11 PM

Just today I designed a track I'd like to build at my house. Its pretty much a mix between Scotts and Waynes still has some speed to it and fairly open but theres a lot of tight corners and quite a few jumps. Area is about 120' long and 100' wide lanes I would like to have 13' wide. There are 15 turns, 6 doubles, 2 tripples and 3 singles (jumps) and I'd like to put one split section where you can choose your line. Its only on paper and Of corse I can't get everything perfect but the dimensions of it look pretty damn close to the area its going to go in. I can't say if this track is ever going to get built but I do have permission now I just need a few days off work and a whole lot of help. Machinery is going to be the biggest problem.

SManMTB 05-27-2005 08:27 PM

What's the latest on Wayne's track?

Are we still building on Sat and racing Sun? If not I'm going to Scott's at noon or so on Saturday.

Super_Dave 05-27-2005 11:18 PM

I talked to Eddie at Stampy's again today and he said we can't race. Someone is just going to have to call Wayne and I don't have his number. The track is done unless they were going to add something I don't know about but I think there going camping for the weekend or something.

dockman2 05-28-2005 01:15 AM

The 2 big things left to do at Waynes was finish the drivers stand and lay pipe. If its not possible to finish these things on Saturday then we will be racing at Scotts on Sunday.
Scott and I are planning on running some at his house on Saturday. I guess we will talk to Wayne and see whats up.
I started to break in the Xray today before I went to work. This thing is planted! Its got a bit of a push but thats what I wanted to start with. Easy to add more turn in. Anywho I cant wait to run this bad boy.
Talk to you guys on Saturday.

dockman2 05-28-2005 01:52 AM

fourwheels- its looking like we might not be at the new track this weekend but come by Scotts on Saturday and check it out. We are usually there from noon on.
Hopefully I will see you there.

Kevin

dockman2 05-29-2005 02:34 AM

OK looks like we are racing at Scotts on Sunday. Hope everyone can make it out to race. The weather is looking good for race day.

slicks 05-30-2005 05:07 PM

Hey All --- its Joel checking in.

Manders and I had a great time yesterday and today (Sunday) too. Even though Manders broke a shock shaft - sheard that sucker off - but it is the original shock on that buggy and it has seen a ton of running time that is for sure!

Kevin - thanks for your help and input on set-ups today - really appreciate it.

When we left Scott's this afternoon there was no word as to where we are racing next weekend (or this weekend seeing as it is Monday). I agree that this is a good spot to post that info.

Does anyone know if Scott is on this site?

Too the guys that used to live here and will be visiting this summer - keep us posted.

maxximum_overdrive 05-31-2005 07:24 AM

looks like i'm going to be in va for july 4 weekend, but uts going to be a flying trip (12 hours each way only got a three day weekend), so i don't think i will be able to make it over to c'ville. what a bummer, i dout i'll even bring my r/c stuff. oh well maybe next time.

dockman2 05-31-2005 11:16 PM

Your welcome Joel, glad to help.
I dont think Scott checks out message boards alot. Until we get the drivers stand finished and put down the pipe I dont think it would make sense to try to race at Waynes. Maybe we can get a crew out there on Saturday to do some work and do some running also. If everything is ready then cool lets race there on Sunday. If not then I would say lets just race at Scotts track.

SManMTB 05-31-2005 11:56 PM

I'm still looking for parts. Kyosho support has really gone down the drain now. [>:]
Tower has nothing or very little and is not going to carry the full line. Kyosho America has nothing either.

I can help out with the build on Saturday if we get a crew together

slicks 06-01-2005 06:44 AM

Sounds like a plan re: the track at Wayne's. Not sure that I'll be able to get out there on Saturday as my son has my car all weekend (earning money for next year at JMU). Just let me know where we are racing on Sunday and Manders and I will be there. I rebuilt the front shocks on Manders buggy last night and just a few more simple tasks and her buggy is good to go again. I'll start tweaking mine tonight. I'll be changing the front and rear diff oil and shock oil and toe-out as we discussed Monday.

Hey Christian -- try the e-bay store RC-PARTS STORE they do have Kyosho parts - not sure what you are looking for (other than that broken part) - but that site/store does have Kyosho stuff. Hope that this helps. You may even post a message on the 1/8 scale board here and ask - I am sure you will receive plenty of info that way too.

maxximum --- sorry to hear that you won't be able to pull some trigger with us. Well, like you said - maybe next time. Wow -- 12hr flight! that is alot of sittiing time!!!

Hey - Little Stampy --- when you ran out at Wayne's what engine were you using and what size clutch bell?

maxximum_overdrive 06-01-2005 07:27 AM

not flying in an airplane............flying as in leaveing as soon as i get off work on the 1st, driving all night, spending a day with my parents, spending a day with some friends, then drive 12hrs back on the 4th. i can see how i confused you though.............lol. we are going to try to come back to va in august for four or five days, maybe i can work it out then..........hopfully that is. assuming that i have my buggie by then, right now all i have is a t-maxx. great fun for baSHING, but not as fun as i thought it would be to race. you have to go to slow to keep it on alll fours.

Alpharaptor 06-01-2005 01:44 PM

Wow, I didn't know so many C-vill racers were on these forums!

Btw, this is Matt, the dude with the Axis... So, who is who on these forums anyway?

slicks 06-01-2005 01:58 PM

Hey Matt -- I was going to send you a message re: this site - but you found it.

Are you going to race this weekend? Keep an eye here as to where we are going to race - or you can always call me at home.

Slicks / Joel

Super_Dave 06-01-2005 02:49 PM

Hey Joel I was running the M26 the day after I broke it in with stock gearing which is a 13T clutch bell. Especially with the torque of this motor I need to get a 14T because it topped out even before I got to the backside of the track.