Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Tuning my Rs4-3

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Jezziebx16v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning my Rs4-3

Hi,

I recently got myself a HPI RS4-3 with the .12 motor, its a single speed car. I have since pulled the .12 motor as in all honesty it was a bit slow.

I have now got on order a new nitro star .15 to slot in and before it all goes back together I will be buying a two speed gear box for it.

Should I be looking at doing anything else to improve its performance before I put it all back together? I was looking at the RB inovations supercharger, simply because it would be pretty cool. Does anybody have any experiance with them? and will my std running gear put up with that sort of abuse?

Thanks Jez
Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Default RE: Tuning my Rs4-3

shhh! mention of a supercharger round here brings a hail storm of epic proportions.

most of what you get from doing this will be a randy bunch that has a lot to say about them but has never had any experience with them ,they just like to reprint what they read from someone elses post that never had any personal experience with them either.
or they try to turn you on to youtube videos of people tryin them but really have no knowledge of how to set them up.

just letting you know.

i have a question.
how did you find a RS4 3 with a .12 or did you buy it used?
in my opinion a .18 would give you the power you want but you already ordered a .15.
a good way to get the power you seek is engine modding and here is a link to a modding service and i beleive is one of the best.

www.rbmods.net

engine mods run about 125$
and will definitly be worth its weight in gold.

any other options i would recomend is CVD's all the way around and the 2 speed as you mentioned.
here is a link for gpm alloy upgrades.

http://www.asiatees.com/model.php?HP...&model=RS4%203

sorry about seeming harsh but you will see what i mean about the supercharger.
IMHO they do work but for the money you'll spend on it, you don't get much in return.
an engine mod would be better.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:05 AM
D.DJ

For 2-stroke engines, the supercharger will pretty much do nothing for your engine. Effectively the engines are already running on boost, because of the tuned pipe, so selecting an even better pipe would work better. The supercharger would just blow air straight through your engine instead of forcing compressed air in. If it does actually work, the it would probably gain "some" performance but since its weight is added, it kind of cancels out. Like adding a pound of weight but doubling your power.
I wouldve gone for a .18 engine as well, much more power there. But you're already getting the .15 nitro star so thats still OK. Hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Jezziebx16v

any other options i would recomend is CVD's all the way around and the 2 speed as you mentioned.
here is a link for gpm alloy upgrades.
Ok, excuse my dumbness, I looked at the link and could not see "CVD's" What is its full name?

Guessing that a lighter flywheel to start with would help my cause also?

Hmmm, I already see conflicting opinion's on the SG lol, and looking on youtube does not really give you a true measure of if something works or not!

Oh and yes, I did buy the car used, it was fitted with the .12. Do they not come with a .12 from the factory?

Cheers Jez
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
alvinl

ORIGINAL: Jezziebx16v
Ok, excuse my dumbness, I looked at the link and could not see ''CVD's'' What is its full name?
That site refers to them as "Universal Swing Shaft".
Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: alvinl

Ok, excuse my dumbness, I looked at the link and could not see ''CVD's'' What is its full name?
That site refers to them as ''Universal Swing Shaft''.
yep i was just gonna post and then i seen your post
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Jezziebx16v

Well, my new motor turned up today, looks like there was a mix up on my part and I have ended up with Nitro Star T3.0

Think I'm going to put that in with the std one speed and see how it performs, if I'm still un-happy I'll get the two speed next.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Well, my new motor turned up today, looks like there was a mix up on my part and I have ended up with Nitro Star T3.0

Think I'm going to put that in with the std one speed and see how it performs, if I'm still un-happy I'll get the two speed next.
no mix up, they don't make .15 star anymore. the t3.0 is a .18 and a lot more powerful than the .15 anyway
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 PM
buttdud1122

ok, if you know the actual mechanics of a two stroke motor, superchargers DO NOT WORK. the so called "cramming in fuel" would just blow throught the open ports! resulting in aloss in efficiency.in a four stroke, it would actually work. valves close, and the pressure will hold. for two stroke,it just ends up leaning the fuel mixture and frying the motor very prematurely. there will be a slight power and speed increase, but its not worth the time, headache, and extra cashflow for engine parts to keep it running
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM
bigdogkanicsar

see
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM
buttdud1122

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4yTADlRuF0

watch the series.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
bigdogkanicsar

watched them and he left a lot of stuff out like the use of the fuel pressure booster and any adjustments he might of or might not have made.
where are the different pipes he tried besides the one jp3.
his vid on this subject is just as vague as everyone elses so called experiences.
i don't see anything other than engine without it or engine with, no dyno ,no adjustments, no fuel pressure boost, no restrictor plate, NO PROOF really.
i don't want to jack this thread with long drawn out BS about supercharger and why people with no personal experience with them supposedly know they don't work.
are they over priced?
of course they are.
is money better spent on engine mods?
of course it is.
do 90% of RCers really know anything of value about superchargers?
nope and will probably never know.
so is it sensless to discuss it any further?
yes, totally.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Jezziebx16v

LOL, what a can of worms.

I have been breaking in my .18 and if early signs are anything to go by, I wont be needing any more power, I only mess around outside my house, racing around with my son and his cheapo .15 powered buggy! If I need more speed I will go the 2 speed route.

As for superchargers and two stroke engines, my understanding is limited BUT supercharging and turbocharging in my eyes are fairly similar, soooo why do I see LOTS of turbocharged 2 stroke snowmobiles for sale near me? correct me if I am wrong, which is very possable!

If forced induction is pointless with 2 strokes, why is it so popular withing the snowmobile community?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
buttdud1122

thats cause a snowmobile has valves which open and close throught the cycles, while nitro engine ports are completely open all the time, the only thing stopping the fuel from blowing out is the backpressure wave from tuned pipes, and a supercharger will just eliminate the effect of that and just make the motor a lot less effecient. ive learned a thing or two in my motor mechanics class in highschool last year.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM
bigdogkanicsar

the 2 strokes in snowmobiles and other recreational vehicles of that nature have reeds which are a type of valve so to speak.
actually making the turbocharging effect more productive.
i don't disagree with the fact that supercharging these model nitro engines is not worth what they charge for them but do beleive that with a different pipe that builds more back pressure, it could be more productive.
i've actually had a supercharger at one point and found the power gains to be quite small for the cost.
and very fuel consuming to boot.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 AM
buttdud1122

lol thats exactly what i was saying! i pipe with a high backpressure will just take off the power too, once again canceling out the effect of the super charger. i dont see why you were dissagreeing with me before! lol
Old 09-26-2010, 10:17 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: buttdud1122

lol thats exactly what i was saying! i pipe with a high backpressure will just take off the power too, once again canceling out the effect of the super charger. i dont see why you were dissagreeing with me before! lol
not agreeing or disagreeing.
i've had em, and you do gain a LITTLE but not worth the money.
i just don't have the money to eperiment with 500 pipes to get more out of it.
a pipe that has more back pressure doesn't rob the power it builds more torque but sacrifices top end.
to say that they DON"T WORK is simply not accurate.
i just don't see how so many people that have never personally tried them, know so much about them.

damn it, see now i've been sucked in to the BS and jacked the thread.
exact reason why i stated it's sensless to discuss it any further.
seems RCU is full of people that know everything and yet so full of the unexperienced.
cracks me up.