Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

smaller gear not turning wheels

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM
simonRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smaller gear not turning wheels

Currently I have my engine out whille im waiting for a new one way bearing and shaft. I've noticed today that when you turn the larger of the gears it turns all four wheels however when you turn the smaller gear it moves freely and does not turn any wheels. What does this mean or is it normal? I do have another car and both gears seem to turn all four wheels.

Another point here incase this has anything to do with it. When im running this car it goes great but doesnt shift up into the 2nd gear...

Take a look at the image for a further description.
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/photowithexp.jpg/

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: smaller gear not turning wheels

The smaller spur gear is second gear, it will only engage to drive the wheels when the shaft is turning fast enough for the second gear clutch to operate. So, yes it is normal that it rotates freely.
If it is not shifting to second gear then it could be adjustment or something physically wrong with it. Note also that if the engine is not turning the gears fast enough for whatever reason this will also prevent it from shifting.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
simonRC

Default RE: smaller gear not turning wheels

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

The smaller spur gear is second gear, it will only engage to drive the wheels when the shaft is turning fast enough for the second gear clutch to operate. So, yes it is normal that it rotates freely.
If it is not shifting to second gear then it could be adjustment or something physically wrong with it. Note also that if the engine is not turning the gears fast enough for whatever reason this will also prevent it from shifting.
Many thanks for your help.