RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Hpi rs4 evo will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Konala23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi rs4 evo will not start

Hello All,

I am looking for some guidance regarding my new RS4.

I most recently followed proper break-in procedures, using proper fuel, etc.

I had an opportunity to take it out on the street yesterday, started up fine, attempted
full throttle, engine instantly cut out, haven't been able to start up since.

I have a new glow plug, igniter was fully charged, thought I might have flooded the engine,
however, that was not the case.

This is a roto-start, when I attempt to fire up I get a puff of smoke from the glow plug area.

I'm relatively new with nitro rc, any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

Nitro has a steep learning curve, unfortunately.

Return your adjustments to factory settings and start over. Make sure you prime it, leave the igniter on for 10 seconds or so, then let it warm up sufficiently before you give it throttle. Really, you're just going to have to learn the quirks of your particular engine; nitros are as much an art as a science. I have some that will start almost instantly, hot or cold, and require very little adjustment for changes in weather or elevation. I have others that are just a pain in the neck pretty much all the time, hard starting cold and even harder when hot, very sensitive to temperature, humidity and elevation, etc.

Last edited by Sixtysixdeuce; 08-27-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Konala23

Thank you for the info, appreciate it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Konala23

One other quick question.
When priming, I have been blocking the muffler opening with my finger and turning over with the roto-start.

Do you suggest that I follow the manual instructions and prime using the fuel tank?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

If your fuel tank has a priming plunger, then that would be easier. None of mine do, so I generally use the same practice as you, or sometimes blow into the exhaust (when they're cold), as this allows you to actually hear when they're primed and reduce risk of flooding.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Konala23

Got it running using the tank primer plunger and restoring factory needle settings, just needs some tweaking.

thanks again for the info, saved me a trip and possible hobby store $$$'