Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Nitro Car sitting for years????

Old 08-22-2015, 12:44 PM
marxoverkill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Car sitting for years????

Hello everyone,

I bought a Traxxas nitro 4 tec about 8-10 years ago and really didn't take care of it. I was young and stupid then lol. I want to get back into the nitro RC world and decided I would try and resurrect it. I got some new batteries, new glow plug, and some new gas. I set the high speed and low speed needles back to factory settings and set the idle screw so that there is about a 1mm of clearance in the intake. I left the car running for a couple minutes but noticed the engine is getting really hot and smoking. I put a little spit on the engine and it would boil right away. I don't want to continue to run it since I feel I may be doing more damage to the engine. Any ideas what I should do now?? Should I take the engine apart and clean it or is the issue in my tuning??? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
MB
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Anthoop

If the car has sat for a period of time with some fuel left in then the main parts of the fuel evaporate leaving behind a gummy mess....this can block/restrict the small holes in the carb.
So recommend to take needles right out of carb and flush/clean it all...also give the tank a flush and clean with fresh fuel....check fuel lines for holes...check tank lid seals properly.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Carabidae

my Rs4 sat for nearly 7 yrs. demounted the engine cleaned everything, changed fuel lines, filter, plug, cleaned engine. it took some time to fire up, but when it did, it were the full 1.5 hp kickin
aiming to switch to racing clutch instead of shoes, and maybe a T3.0