Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

NTC3 traction problem in 46F weather?

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NTC3 traction problem in 46F weather?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
LexLuther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTC3 traction problem in 46F weather?

Okay, maybe this wasn't the best time of the season to be buying a couple of NTC3 touring cars. It's also probably not a good idea to be buying this car as a starter in combination with a Nova Rossi NS12P5 motor. But regardless... here I am. My situation seems to be that, no matter how much I read the XXX MAIN setup guide, and adjust my suspension/springs/oil wt./camber/toe-in/toe-out (using AE's setup sheets) I can't seem to get the cars to get good/decent traction at a freshly ashphalt paved parking lot. Now, the main thing is that the temps outside are getting cold. Real cold. The temps are between 5-10C (41-50F) outside. Is it too cold to be running these cars outside? Should I maybe use a different tire?

Current tires we are using are,

HPI 35 shore front and 30 shore rear on one car
Jaco Nitro Shoes 40 front and rear on the other car.

Both cars seem to still push into corners, and we can't even get on the throttle coming out of the corners because the cars just spin out. I've been told to keep away from sway bars for some reason.

Maybe someone is in the same boat as me weather wise and can recommend a good tire to use? Firmer, softer, maybe even rubber??

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. If someone races their NTC3 in a bumpy/smooth ashphalt parking lot in this type of weather and has lots of luck with tracktion, to the point of almost getting traction roll, I would love to hear about your setup, or even get your setup sheet.

At this point, I would LOVE to see the car traction roll, so I could work my way backwards and try to get the car to not do that, rather than it's current sliding all over the place and through the turns.

Lex
Old 11-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Jarret

Default RE: NTC3 traction problem in 46F weather?

Is the asphalt clean?

If it has just rained then there is probably oil on top of the asphalt causing the cars to spin out.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Nitroaddict

LEX - if you are running a softer shore rating on the front than the back, this is going to cause on-power oversteer. Switch that around, and use a 40-45shore on the front, and a 30-35 shore on the back. That will help. Also - regarding push/oversteer - usually, there will always be a compromise. If you want the car to steer great underpower, its not going to be as responsive off power, and vice versa.

Another setup adjustment that can be made is to give the car a bit of toe in in the front, say 1- 1.5 degrees. this will increase push coming out of turn, but make it a bit more loose braking into a turn. I have been racing NTC3s for a while now, what is your current setup?

Front Toe?
Rear Toe?
Castor angle?
Camber angle?
Spring rate?
oil weight?
ride height?
droop?

The XXXMAIN tuning guide is excellent, so keep reading it, you will learn more than u ever thought possible.

btw - swaybars should only be used on EXTREMELY high grip tracks, where fast sweeping turns are the norm. they reduce body roll, which will cause the car to slide under loose slick conditions.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:24 PM
maxxdriver

no its not to cold , well not for me i used my rs4 in 20 degrees f , it was on ice and it was pretty damn fun to doing donuts and sliding around, but for urrr traction issue have u tried heating urr tires up with a heat gun or a blow dryer, the heat gives more friction and traction, if it doesnt just enjoy the challange of trying to keep urr car strait don't wast your money on new tires just enjoy sliding around till it gets alittle warmer, but heating the tires should work.

GOOD LUCK DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:45 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Nitroaddict.. whoa man.. speak english

Question.. why does my Mugen Works come standard with Sway Bars..

This is a buggy.. meant for loose/packed dirt.. I thought its kinda counter productive?

Any thoughts?

Ram
Old 12-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Nitroaddict

buggies r us. on buggies, sway bars increase on power stability in the turns, sliding is more acceptable on buggies, it is never good on touring cars. also, the sway bars on buggies help keep the left and right side equal and prevent diff unloading when the the inside wheel comes up in the turns.