Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS$ 3 SS NOT MOVING! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:58 PM
soccerismylife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS$ 3 SS NOT MOVING! PLEASE HELP!

I got my RS4 3 ss to start and when I give it any throttle even mid throttle it doesn't move. It doesn't die when I give it throttle (Like it's too rich) it just doesn't move. Please tell me what to check top make it move.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:07 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RS$ 3 SS NOT MOVING! PLEASE HELP!

Can you push the car freely without it running?Like,is your brake locked up or is there any resistance to the drivetrain?If all that spins freely and theres no resistance I would look at the clutch.I'm not sure what I'd look for exept maybe your springs are too tight? I'm not sure how you could put those in wrong but from reading this board,anythings possible.If it was my car ,and I know this is wrong,I'd give it a bit more throttle than half for just a second to see if it crept foward at all.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:10 PM
soccerismylife

Thanks for the quick reply! (odd having it be Thanksgiving Day and all) It does have resisence but not from the brake. I'm still breaking it in so I can't or don't want to give it more throttle then half. Any more suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Lasershop

Explain not moving..... is the clutch bell turning at all when the engine revs?
If not, you have a clucth problem. If it is, you have a one-way bearing
problem in the trans.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:26 PM
GALAXY

Yeah,if the resistance is not coming from the brake you have to find out where it is coming from,the car should roll nice and smooth across a table or floor and watch all the parts while you do it.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:22 PM
dmatko

i ran into the same problem right now. i was breakin the car in and had trouble with the motor. now the motor runs, but the car doesnt.... im waitin for saturday and the local hobby shop to open so that i can go buy a new clutch because i believe i burned mine out. funny thing is though, the car would move ever so slowly, and then it just completely stopped all together. o well, at leas i get to buy a new part.... im thinkin of gettin the racing clutch if it lasts longer. so far i have not driven the car even once in 1 month that i have owned it. hehehe.... i hope to change that soon. good luck with your car.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:17 AM
soccerismylife

Same thing exactly! The clutch bell is not moving and I too am waiting for the lhs to open. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-28-2003, 01:22 AM
rodrigo1508

In my opinion you all are not getting to the revs needed to start moving I would think you are still to rich to reach the revs with little throttle
Old 11-28-2003, 01:23 AM
rodrigo1508

Also If you tighten the wheels too much it will create resistance
Old 11-28-2003, 01:29 AM
GALAXY

You guys are makin it sound as bad as a T-Maxx hahahahahah!!!! I don't know,the instructions seemed pretty clear on that part to me but maybe its somethin simple I've never thought of.That clutch isn't the best but it shouldn't give you that much trouble either,I should be home all day tomarrow if the hobby shop is no help (Doubt thats gonna happen) so post back an update.I'm gonna rebuild my front end so I can go tear up the parking lot on my day off.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Lasershop

The ss being a kit, Im betting the clutch shoes are on backward.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:14 AM
soccerismylife

If they are on backward what is the difference?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:34 AM
GALAXY

Maybe they just wouldn't seat right if they were backwards,I was thinkin they might be backwards but I was also thinkin like you...what difference would it make?

If I was you I would probably get out the instructions and rebuild the clutch just in case,and look at the inside of the clutchbell and see if its worn at all from contact with the shoes.If its not worn at all,you might not be getting to a high enough RPM like Rodrigo said.If it is worn a bit,the shoes are workin but there might be resistance somewhere else in the drivetrain.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:44 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, I was thinkin' the same thing about the clutch shoes being backwards. And when my clutch was brand new, it didn't transfer power well. AND, when I first started runnin' mine, I used a LOT of throttle to get 'er going...Don't be afraid to REV 'ER UP! You won't blow the engine if you just "floor it" for a couple seconds...If the engine is loading up, it's prob. nowhere near it's max. allowable R.P.M. #and won't get there for at least a few seconds, if it's really rich. Just be careful, I don't want you commin' back callin' me a rectal oriface 'cuz I gave you bad advise
Old 11-28-2003, 04:02 PM
GALAXY

Maybe he got it workin...its been awhile.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:25 PM
soccerismylife

No I was just out reffeing a soccer tournament. (I got $74.00 so I could buy the neccesary repairs.) Sorry. I'm taking it to the hobby shop toorrow but I'll loook at the clutch tonight. I'll update tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
soccerismylife

I took it apart and everything seemed fine exzcept the clutches and springs were just liing in the clutch bell but I think that that was from me taking it apart. I am still going to the storte to have them check it out and to buy a new pull starter because it was pulled out too far.[:@]
Old 11-30-2003, 01:41 PM
soccerismylife

When I went to the lhs he said to switch the differentials because he thought the 'tuned' on was in the back. He also told me to grease em and I did. Also the little screw were rubbing against the case for the differential so I tightened those. I also took apart the clutch and put it back to gether. I took it out this morning very reluctantly and on the first pull it roared to life. I am still breaking it in but just at low throttle this thing rocks. Thanks to everyone who helped me at various stages of this ordeal.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:12 PM
GALAXY

So it works now?
nice...have fun breaking it in

What did he mean by "tuned diff"? was he talking about the one with the spring in it?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:16 PM
soccerismylife

Yeah he meant the one with the spring in it. I think the one with the spring in it was in the back instead of the front.

I have idled the car for about 1 1/2 tanks withe the first full tank the whole car was off the ground. Now I have ran it low to mid for about another 1 1/2 tanks. How many should I do in the low to mid speeds for this engine (12 ss) and what should I do after that? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
GALAXY

I think I went about 10 tanks before I ever hit full throttle and started leaning it out...maybe 6 tanks in the low/mid range,2 on the ground at low speed,the last 2 gettin closer to full throttle but not quite.

so you have run 2 tanks on the ground?and one just idling?Take it easy like you have been on the next one and then up the throttle a bit on the tank after that..my experienced friend thought I was babying it too much the way I did it but I wanted to be sure.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, congrats! Glad to hear ya got 'er goin'...Mine seems to consume fuel quicker than my other .12's, and I went thru half a dozen tanks real fast...I started opening it up fairly soon, cuz I wanted a "hot" break-in. And I couldn't wait You should be able to open it up a little for , say, about 3 seconds or so, depending on how much room to run you have. As long as she's a little rich, you're not gonna hurt it. Now that mines broken in (I've got about 2 dozen runs on 'er) I hold it wide open and let 'er rip! She's startin' to get where I expected now, 'cuz the drive-train is loosening up, and the 2 speed is finally working the way it should. It was a little tight, and was reluctant to shift. BTW, all my running-in was done without the body, for better cooling...