Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Prolonging the life of my engine

Old 11-29-2003, 11:15 PM
knotteboi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prolonging the life of my engine

From what I understand cars can only run about 2 gallons of gas through them before the engine wears out...
What happens when the engine wears out? I am looking forward to running my new car every day ... for hours maybe even?
I don't understand what happens when the engine wears out, I , from what I understand, am going to have to rebuild it, or buy a new one.
Since I am only going to be able to run my engine for about... 6 weeks? I was wondering some steps I could take for prolonging the life of my engine...

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Blackjaxx360
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Prolonging the life of my engine

First off, 2 gallons is kinda short for any engine unless you are a serious racer and run super lean. What kind of engine you you have? I've heard of engines lasting 10 gallons and up. I have about 4 1/2 on my 15 FE, which I beat the pi$$ out of and it keeps going despite its sorry performance. 3 gallons on an OS CV-RX, and 2 3/4 gallons on a HPI 21 BB. All of which have their original pistons and sleeves. I haven't rebuilt any engines I currently own. I have in the past though. It is not all that hard as some might claim it to be. But any in case to keep your engine with a long life keep a trail of blue smoke out the exhaust at full throttle. Adding some after run oil after each run is a help. Though it is a controversial subject, it can't hurt your investment, not everyone here has endless spending limits when something goes wrong so a couple of drops for insurance is worth it. When your engine does wear out you have the option of rebuilding or buying a new one. A rebuild kit is relatively cheaper than a new engine but if you opt to buy a new engine you can buy a better, faster one. Choices, Choices! Hope this helps.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-30-2003, 01:46 PM
dbow

You should get more than 2 gallons out of and engine, try at least 4 or 5 maybe more if you take care of it and run it rich.

Dbow
Old 11-30-2003, 05:26 PM
knotteboi

Yeah, Im going to run it fairly rich, Someone just told me 2.. I about flipped out and was going to back out of the hobby before I even got started, Thanks for the advice guys!
Insurance? Like car insurance? What does it do? How much does it cost? ... That's quite interesting...
Even if my engine only did last 2 gallons I would probably run it 10 before I replaced it...
I have not quite figured out how to set rich and lean , so I'll have to work with that...
Another question... Overheating? How can you tell without buying a therometer that your engine is over the desired temp? It's like 30 degrees outside now so I am not really worried about it, but when summer time rolls around I need to know...
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Blackjaxx360

Well for starters, after run oil is a lubricant much like three in one oil that keeps the internals protected during the times between runs. If you run you car everyday then after run oil probably won't do much being that it takes more than a week for rust to occur inside your engine. Like I said before, this topic can lead to an ugly debate but since most manufactures recommend it, can it really hurt? For the temp question, I high recommend you get an infra-red temp gun or an on-board temp gauge. Without one you'd have to use the water method, or spit method, whichever is on hand at the time. To do this, get the engine up to operating temp. drop some water on the glow plug. If it sizzles off right away it is too rich, if it just sits there and bubble a little it is to lean. If it boils for about 5 seconds before evaporating, that is around good operating temps. This is not as accurate and should only be used in case you don't have a temp gauge. It is important to keep your engine between the recommended running temps. Hope this helps!
Old 11-30-2003, 06:34 PM
knotteboi

How much is an on - board temp guage? I saw an infared one for 30 bucks on ebay, it is made especially for R/C Cars, but now I dont have the funding... Christmas is coming up and I have to buy presents, especially for the significant other... But afterwards I might invest in something...
Thanks for the info on knowing, I really appreciate that...
So when your engine runs lean it runs hot? and rich.. cooler? Then why do you run lean? I dont understand how lean makes you get higher top speed.. when rich gives you more gas per air ...
Thanks...
Old 11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Blackjaxx360

On-board temps cost around 30-35 bucks. But you can only use it on one vehicle at a time where as an infra-red can be used on numerous. If you have one or two cars then an on-board will do for you. But if you plan on getting more than one then i suggest the infra-red. I have 3 nitros and that is what I use. You got it right rich=cool lean=hot. The more air in the combustion chamber, the hotter it runs. The more fuel the cooler it runs. When you run rich you will notice a lot of smoke and sometimes unburnt fuel spitting out of the exhaust. The engine can't burn all the fuel going into it therefore leaving you with little performance but more engine protection. But less fuel in the chamber will give you the opposite. The goal is to find the in-between that gives you the most performance without damaging your engine. There is a lot to learn about these nitros and I'm not afraid to admit I learn more and more everyday, and I've been addicted to this hobby for a little longer than 8 years.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:00 PM
knotteboi

Yeah, Im trying to learn all I can before my car even comes in, To prevent stupid early mistakes...
Thanks for the advice and help all of you are giving me, Maybe one day I can join the family and give hints and tips to others who are starting out like myself!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 PM
soccerismylife

The guy at the lhs said that somee people get 7 to 8 gallons so hope this helps. I don't know how truthfull this is so don't everyone grill me. lol.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:02 PM
knotteboi

yeah thanks
Old 12-02-2003, 09:15 PM
soccerismylife

Also remember to keep your airfilter very clean. If you need some reasurrence go to www.hpiracing.com and look for FAQ. Go to nitro FAQ and got to engine horror stories.