Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

NEW Duratrax SF GP - WON'T START! Help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NEW Duratrax SF GP - WON'T START! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 04:51 PM
beachdrifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Duratrax SF GP - WON'T START! Help!

Hi all,

I just purchased a spanking new Duratrax street force GP nitro car. THis is my first attempt at nitro RC; I figured this would be a nice entry vehicle. Anyways, I saw the video, read the manual 100 times, and thought I was ready to start the engine. I purchased Odonnell 10% fuel, attached the kit's glow starter, primed the fuel line, and yanked on the recoil a couple of times... and.... NOTHING!!

Help! This is frustrating. I removed the glow plug also and drained the engine, and started over again, and ... Nothing! I checked the carb needle valves to the recommended # of turns.. and Nothing! The glow plug lights up when I attach the kit's glow starter also, so it works.

What am I doing wrong?? I am going nuts. I am using the alkaline battery glow starter that came with the kit, but it should still work, don't you think? Should I purchase a rechargable glow starter with more punch?

Has anyone bought this kit, and started it with all it came with?

HELP!! Ahhhh!!!
Thanks
-Randy
Old 11-30-2003, 05:11 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Default RE: NEW Duratrax SF GP - WON'T START! Help!

You can't start a brand new engine with only a couple pulls. You just need to prime it until you see the fuel enter the carb, then press it 1 or 2 times again.....then put on the glow igniter (leave it on for about 10 seconds if starting it in cold weather) then just keep pulling and pulling and soon it will be alittle difficult to pull...keep pulling and it will soon start to sputter.....then a few more pulls and she should start! I just think that you need to spend alittle more time pulling the pullstarter on a new engine....once you break it in and have it tuned correctly, you should be able to start it in 3 pulls....hope i was some help
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Mr. Nitro

Another thing you may want to check is the way you turn the needle. I did this with my first nitro. If you haven't messed with any carbuerators, including fourwheelers, motorcycles, etc., you may have done what I did. Well my brand new truck wouldn't start at all and I put the needle at 2 1/2 turns out - or so I thought!! To get one complete turn on the needle screw, the screw has to go around 2 times (each time around considered 1/2 turn). So I turned the screw around 2 and a half times but it was actually turned only 1 1/4. Get it?? Its kinda hard to explain without demonstrating, but thats the best I can do. Maybe someone could add on to what I said. Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:37 PM
dg2b

Also check your glow igniter. Attach a glow plug to the igniter and make sure it gives a good glow.