Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

ntc3 starts to spin under high accel...

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

ntc3 starts to spin under high accel...

Old 12-03-2003, 11:13 AM
slim-tc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ntc3 starts to spin under high accel...

hi, new to the forum.... i just picked up a nitro and a electric tc3. i got the nitro going last night and today i got out to a parking lot. it is cold out like 28. the NTC3 has a os max .15 ( the guy i bought it from said it was a 18 but i dont see where OS has a .18 listed under CV-R it has a black head)

i have on wide foams, not sure of the shores or anything, but the prob is, as im running up thru 1st gear, in a straight line, midway it will just spin out, it still does it with the nascar body on it too. i have lots of tires, mainly sliks(take offs)that i can try if you think that will help. does this car have too much power, or is there somthing else you can suggest..?

i tried to search a little but nothing came up under "tc3 spin out"
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: ntc3 starts to spin under high accel...

welcome to RCU. When a car becomes unstable, it is usually attributed to poor chassis setup. Pick up a copy of the XXXMain tuning guide, it will help tremendously. For right now, take a look and see what way it spins out. most likely, it will spin the same direction every time. which ever way it spins out, tighten the rear shock on the opposite side. Usually spinning out under acceleration means that one of the rear tires is receiving more traction than the other. By tightening the shock on the wheel that is getting more traction, u are transfferring weight from that side to the other.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Are the tires all the same diameter? I know when I switch tires around, sometimes I get a little "stagger" un-intentionally with used tires. That can make a car un-stable too...In colder weather, I use soft compound rubber tires, w/ med. firmness inserts. I drive on concrete, what are you running on? I can't get traction on the cement w/ foams, (not very much anyway) even w/ 35 shores, it slides all over the place...I have an R.P.M. (company) camber gage to check my camber settings. Check your toe in/out front and rear, and the ride height, and "droop"...If you don't know what all those are, we'll explain 'em if ya want, no prob...I have an O.S. .15 CV-RX in my Tornado (Hot Bodies) and it makes the car MUCH more fun to drive. I don't think it's too much for the chassis, not at all...I've got a Schumacher Fusion w/ a .21 in it, and it's awesome!
Old 12-04-2003, 03:05 AM
slim-tc3

well, i was looking at the car while it was on the floor just now, and noticed that the rears were.... toe out! heh
i set in a little toe in for the rears, i bet that will help.

it was a typical parking lot, with pourous blacktop (ie: old).
ill leave the foams on and see if this did the trick, if not ill try the rubber and let you know.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:07 PM
dg2b

Does it have two speed? When it spins midway, do you hear the second gear kick in? It could be that the chassis is tweaked, the shocks are not the same length, etc and one side bottom out the gear change and push the car and spin out.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:38 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Some good advice in this thread, the toe may have been part of the problem. I would go through the car and put a setup on it. Use the information in the guide that Addict suggested.

Also I wonder if your foams are new or old. Old foams dry up and don't hook up the same as when they are new.
When not in use keep them in plastic ziploc bags to keep them fresh. It is not required but I put mine in the freezer which I have found keeps them fresher even longer.

Dbow
Old 12-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Nitroaddict

dbow - u actually have a problem with old foams? lol. I only get one race out of mine, so they never last more than a day, haha.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:10 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Addict,

Ya I know what you mean, I don't race anymore but was into racing hardcore a few years ago. I also would go through a set in a day, in some cases 2. Its the worst to put on a brand new set of foamies only to make one lap and chunk one of the tires. I tore up a lot of sets of the proline Jacos, they warped on me a lot. I resolved that problem when I switched to SuperG's, those things would take a hit and keep on going. Out of several hundred sets I cracked one rim, I cant say that about any other foam tire rim.

Like I say, I don't race anymore but I get out every once in a while at a local hobby shop and run some laps. Right now I am running the TRC 35mm rears and 30mm fronts. They are fairly decent tires and the extra meat allows me to be a bit more lazy with the setup. I am running the old dog (RS4 Racer) which is about 5 years old with an MT-12. The thing hauls around the track because it is so light. Cheap and easy, I think I am getting old.

Dbow
Old 12-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Nitroaddict

right on bro. wow, 30/35 mm eh? All the tracks i race at are roar specific so its 26/30mm only for me. Yeah, i am partial to TRC right now. the solid dish rims dont crack. every friggin Elligi or jaco ive tried would crack the second someone smacked into me.