Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

tire question and 2 speed

Old 12-04-2003, 10:31 PM
ShOzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire question and 2 speed

so what kind of rubber tires will last, i have run 2 tanks on my NTC3 and already see lots of wear on the tires that came with it.

the venom ones look like they might last, maybe some form of slicks?

also i can not hear the two speed kick in. the thing seems to be going insanley fast so i am assuming it must be kicking in but shouldn't i hear it?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:37 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: tire question and 2 speed

I have a set of "Take Offs" on my LD3 that have probably 30 tanks thru them. They are Pro Belted, w/moulded inserts. My Yokomo's (hard) last for awhile, and I run on fairly abrasive concrete. So far, I've found that the "Pro" compound tires while seemingly softer to the touch, wear longer? Your tire wear will depend also on the firmness/softness of the inserts. I like slicks because they're more consistant, as they wear, I don't need to adjust my chassis much. Treaded tires wind up to be slicks eventually, but are better on dusty pavement/ cement. "your mileage may vary" comes to mind...

Do you think maybe your 2 speed is shifting really early, and it's already in 2nd before it gets to winding out?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Im not sure about what tires to suggest but I can give you what I have experienced.

First you must run a decent setup to have good even wear on your tires, if one side is off, one side or the other can wear faster or even rip through a set in no time.
This is detrimental with foam tires because the setup on the car changes as the tires wear down. I can setup a car with a brand new set of foams and they will burn evenly for quite a few runs. Once they start to get some wear they will cone one way or the other if you dont change the setup . I mainly check camber after every few runs to keep them straight.

Nowdays I run nothing but foams, but back in the day my favorite long wear tire was the HPI M-compound. These came with the kits back then (dont know what comes now) and while they were cheap, they lasted forever. Traction is an issue with these tires but with a good setup they will hook good enough for parking lot stuff.
The X-pattern would be my next choice for rubbers, they hook up real well and are available in different compounds. They cost a little more but are a better tire.

I will also add that the best rubber tire I have ever used may come as a suprise to some. It was the rubber kit tires that came with my Serpent Impulse 2000 spec. The tires looked cheap but hooked like foams and lasted forever.

As with any tire, the surface has a lot to do with wear. Years ago I raced in a very poor asphalt parking lot, just about everyone went through a set of foams in one day. The asphalt was just so cracked up that it ate the tires.
On playground type asphalt (Track) foams and rubbers will last quite a while.

If running in your basic local parking lot, try to find one that has been sealed. You can usually tell because it will be a lot darker than the rest of the parking lots. Once you find one be sure to sweep the area with a push broom, this will not only keep boulders out of your belts or whatever your running but will also add to tire life.

Dbow
Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 AM
dbow

You will not always notice the transition of the 2spd, it may be shifting a little early and not really winding out the motor.
This is not a problem or anything, you just may not hear it.

You can hold the car in the air while running, let it hang so that it is free to rock back and forth if it wants to, run it up and you should see it do a little rock when it hits the second gear. Depending on your shift point you may have to run it up slowly.

Dbow
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 AM
knotteboi

Sorry for barging into your thread, but I also have a question about this... I just bought a 2 speed transmission, Say I want to change the gear ratio around... (assuming this is possible) could I make it where I have an ungodly high top speed? Instead of only like a 10-20 mph increase on my little RS4 3?
Or something? How does this exactly work?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 01:34 PM
dbow

As far as I can tell they make 2 spur gear combinations for the RS43 and three first gear pinions and 3 second gear pinions.
You can use any first gear pinion with any second gear pinion. I suggest you download the file at HPIracing website.

The 2spd on the RS43 is a different design, however the internal mechanism and cam is the same design as the original RS4 2spd.
I can tell you that using an extreme difference from first to second will get you a busted 2spd in no time, Especially if you are using a high power motor.

THis is becuase the finger type design tears up the pin in the outer housing where it catches to engage the second gear. It looks like they do not offer that particular ratio for the new 2spd. The original had a few more options and had some insane gearing, I tore up a couple of 2spds running those gears.
I quickly learned how to pull out the pin in the 2spd housing and replace it.
That may not be a problem with the new 2spd as they dont appear to offer that option.

Dbow
Old 12-05-2003, 07:32 PM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

It takes at least 4-5 tanks for the 2 speed to kick in
Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 AM
knotteboi

Why? I don't understand!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:40 AM
proptop

Maybe he's talking about a sticky one? My RS4-3 SS 2 speed was a little tight until it got some running time on it...It used to hang in 1st for way too long before shifting. Now, after about 20 to 25 runs on 'er, and a little adjusting, it's workin' fine...Started to loosen up a little each run, after about the 5th one.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:44 AM
knotteboi

Ohh Okay, I understand... That makes good sence to me, I ordered a 2 speed tranny and I hope it comes in fast! I want it!
I have only had time to run my car 3 times The day I got it it set in raining and has been ever since, it let up today so tomorrow I think i'm going to find a parking lot
Old 12-06-2003, 12:53 AM
ShOzz

ok, did the on the hand test and it was kicking in for sure.

did some adjustment so i had a little more low end before it kicked in and in my hand it seems good but again on the ground i just do not hear it kick in. nothing like my savage , when it kicks in you hear it for sure.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:17 AM
PitStops

Shozz
You will notice that the 2 speed on a NTC3 if very smooth, Hard to tell if it shifts sometimes, but learn to listen to the engine as well and it will let you know if it shifts.
ORIGINAL: ShOzz

ok, did the on the hand test and it was kicking in for sure.

did some adjustment so i had a little more low end before it kicked in and in my hand it seems good but again on the ground i just do not hear it kick in. nothing like my savage , when it kicks in you hear it for sure.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:50 AM
proptop

Yeah, with some cars it seems to be more noticable than others. With a "finger" type 2 speed you'd think they'd be pretty much the same. Actually, they are, but I think the loudness or quietness of the pipe, and other aspects of design are what make it more or less noticeable. Like over-all gearing, and the power delivery characteristics of the engine, the clutch, etc...A lighter car will accelerate quicker than a Savage, and put less strain on motor, gears, etc. so it will make less gear/ trans. noise, unless your mesh is off...
Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 AM
ShOzz

well i am imagining that it must be kicking in but must just be smooth because it is wuiet as can be, i personally do not hear it the same as on a 21 or up engine.

i hear it or feel it when balanced on my hand yet on the road at the same rpm i do not hear it but i would imagine that since the engine sounds to be at the same tone as on my hand that it must be kicking in at the same time ???