Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

need help in choosing a kit

Old 12-06-2003, 12:45 PM
kapowboyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help in choosing a kit

I am a begginger in nitro and i'm looking for a kit thatis pretty fast. I want it to be around 50-60 mph.I was thinking about getting something from tamiya (ease of instructions) but please post your other thoughts on cars from different companies.
My budget right now is no more than 400 dollars. So what do you think. Please post here
Old 12-06-2003, 01:12 PM
NitroNoob

Default RE: need help in choosing a kit

AE & HPI kits comes with very good nstructions. What is it your looking for On-Road or Off-Road?
Old 12-06-2003, 01:24 PM
kapowboyz

im looking for an on road car. At the end of my street there is a loop
like this:

| |
| |______
/ ____ \
______/ / \ \
______ | | |
\ \_____/ / Edit: OK so the thing didn't work
\ __________/

I'm quite bad a that. any ways its an O and i can race around it. My street rarly has any cars going through it and if there are only 1 or 2 cars. So im looking for something on road. Also can you please specify which model or whatever and how much it will cost.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:58 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

hpi makes the rs4 3 ss thats a kit i love its fast and easy to build. you can get one now for like 260 i would think. AE makes the nTc3 which is also about 260. The rs4 is really a good basher. Tc3s you can content with racing. Both have tons of hop ups. You'll need a radio system for both. so add like 50- 150 bucks to that depending on what your lookin at. anymore questions?

Bl
Old 12-06-2003, 04:10 PM
kapowboyz

1) what are the websites
2) where can i buy them for the best price
3) do they have 2speed automatic transmition
4) What will i need to totally complete my model (besides tools and stuff like spray paint, like will i need a body, tubing, engine, engine mount)
5) which one would you think is more practicle for a little bit of racing and which one is stonger???

Thats it
Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
brainleak

Towerhobbies.com is where i get most of my stuff. hobbypeople.com, stormerhobby.com Horizonhobby.com
both come with 2 speeds. both come with a body, Fuel tubeing and a engine. durablity. hmm dunno never ran a tc3 but people here swear by them. My rs4 3 ss is pretty tough. If you have never run a onroad gas car before it doesnt matter how durable they are your gonna brake stuff. if your even thinking about racing go with the tc3

Bl
Old 12-06-2003, 05:54 PM
NitroNoob

RS4 3 SS kit comes with 2-speed, engine, and body
NTC3 kit comes with 2-speed, no engine, and no body.

The TC3 would be a better choice if you ever do plan to do some club racing.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:36 PM
kapowboyz

I'm not going to be doing competitive racing so i guess the rs4 is beter for me. I just want a nitro on-road car that i can play with in my lesuire time and that i can bring over to my friends house to show him whos boss.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
RCgangsta

Get the RS4 3 thats what i have and i love it, fast out of the box but with options to upgrade in the future. About $350 at tower.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Mclarenhpi

where do u put the after run oil, sorry, its kind of off topic but i really need to know, my fiend says to put it in the carbuerator and give it a few pulls, but I say you should take off the glow plug and put it in the engine and then give it pulls, does anyone know this, thank you
Old 12-07-2003, 11:58 AM
kapowboyz

Well as you know i'm new to nitro but i think you put it in the carborater and in the engine. I think you basicly put it where metal and fuel are going to touch. Also I read somewhere that you can use WD-40 as a substitute of an after run oil.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:25 PM
brainleak

Dont use wd-40 sure it works but for a couple bottles of afterrun oil only run you about 6 bucks its specificly made for the purpose.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:28 PM
dbow

You can use WD40 if you want, it is fine. Walmart makes a cheap brand (forget the name) that is about the same size can for $.99. I Have used it in engines but primarily I use it to clean bearings and so forth because it is cheap.

There are a number of oils that you can use that are cheaper than the "After run oil". Oil made specifically for the purpose is classified as a hobby item and will cost you more than any other available.
A lot or people use Air tool oil, Marvel mystery oil, 3 in 1, the list goes on. The cost per container is about the same but you get a lot less with a specifically classified item.

I used 3 in 1 for years but switched to Liquid wrench a few years ago, I really dont think there is much of a difference but that is what I am using right now.

I normally hose down the inside of the piston and sleeve through the glow plug hole, every once in a while I will dump a little into the carb if I am not going to run for a while.

It is a good practice to use it to protect the internals while in storage and also to ease starting.

Dbow