Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

serpent 705, mugen mtx-3, or trinityreflex nt

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

serpent 705, mugen mtx-3, or trinityreflex nt

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:26 PM
z style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpent 705, mugen mtx-3, or trinityreflex nt

im looking at getting another onroad car and those 3 are the ones that look the best to me although they look just baotu the same. i'm leaning towards the serpent 705. please give me your opinions on them. i know that all of them need radio and servo's but jsut give me your opinion on which you think is bbest or if you own one what you like and don't like about it. thnx
Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: serpent 705, mugen mtx-3, or trinityreflex nt

As the proud owner of a pair of Serpent nitro sedans, I suggest getting the Trinity Reflex or even the G4. You get more bang for the buck with the Reflex (machined pulleys for example). It may cost a little more, but by the time I've upgraded mine, I spent over $100 more than if I went with the reflex.

Check out www.teamtrinity.com for full details on the car.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Nitroaddict

I currently run a Trinity Reflex and just love it. Amazing. I wouldnt run away from the MTX3 either, also a winner. All three cars are about the same as far as performance goes - just pick the one that your LHS stocks the most parts for. Make sure u put a great engine in one of these great cars too!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:14 PM
z style

which engine would you recommend?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:59 PM
cudatim15

Ive heard that the G4 has went through a hole and they dont want to sell it anymore, Trinity that is. As far has that MTX gotta love that pink color! Though go with the serpent after all, its cheaper and it has just about everything that you get with a Reflex NT!
Old 12-14-2003, 10:35 PM
MiCkLe207

How about the Kyosho V-one RR against the serpent 705 (never saw a thread on that!)
I'm deciding on those two, but I dont know which one is better. All I know is that the Kyosho has more parts available where i am and there is just one shop which is quite far away with serpent's
Old 12-15-2003, 04:55 PM
z style

i would suggest go with kyosho since its closer.

nitroaddict do you have trinity relfex nt or team
Old 12-15-2003, 08:54 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

I have owned Serpent cars and the Mugen stuff. I don't own and have not owned any of the newer breed of cars like the 705 and the MTX-3.
I have owned the Impulse and the MTX-2, I like the MTX-2 much better because it was a heck of a lot cheaper on parts, lighter and easier to work on. I would never go back to a serpent car, but hey that is just me, lotsa people out there that love the serpent stuff.

Best thing to do is like previous post suggest about parts support, or toss a coin and buy what lands. If you do not like it, sell it and get something else. That is basically what I did until I found what I liked. Then you will know the differences between whatever cars you choose to buy.

I would not mind buying an R40 right now just to build and check it out and so forth, same with the MTX-3. I really do not care for the serpent though.
Just mine.

Dbow
Old 12-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Nitroaddict

dbow - i got to give Mugen the props for marketing. Everyone i talk to says the same thing - mugen parts are so much cheaper. maybe back in the day, but now mugen parts cost more than serpent, trinity, or kyosho.

z - i have the NT version with the Serpent Centax II clutch. the team only was alot more for a bunch of crap you really dont need.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:59 PM
z style

so is trinity the cheapiest one for parts and goodies or is serpent? seems like trinity is the best so far since mugen parts are most expensive ( but i guess in todays world the more moeny you spend most times the better quality you get out of it).
Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Nitroaddict

z style - all the parts are close to the same price for the three cars. if u are concerned about parts pricing - dont buy any of these, lol. I just bought 3 belts, 4 bolts, and 2 pinion gears, and the bill was 84.00
Old 12-16-2003, 06:48 PM
z style

ah ok. well money aint to much of an object ( im not rich but i got money). im looking at performance and quality not the cheapiest stuff cuz i coudl just go to 2wd or eletric. thnx for your info though big help
Old 12-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Nitroaddict

zstyle - all the cars are great - buy the one your LHS has the best parts support for. I chose the Reflex because of the following reasons:

The Serpent required a special serpent battery pack that no one ever has in stock, so if you fry one, u r screwed unitl one gets shipped. Along with that, it uses dog bones, not cvd's and i hate dogbones. other than that - it was leading the pack. The Mugen seems like the hot tamali right now. there were a couple of things i didnt like about it either. It also had dogbones, i didnt like the way the front shock tower was made, looked brittle, and it has a laydown steering servo. The laydown steering servo gives it a lower CG, but makes it utilize a bellcrank system rather than a direct linkage which feels alot better on the track to me. The reflex has CVD's which was important, came with a nice set of foams that i could use to break in the car with, none of the others had tires, seemed to be built better than the mugen, ans as good as the serpent, and had the steering servo setup i wanted. It is also almost the exact same car as the kyosho V1RR which is another great vehicle, but not sold here in my local area. this way, if out of town, i have twice the chance of the hobby shop having the parts that i might break. along with this, it was 100.00 cheaper, which allowed me to use that money to pick up the new Serpent Centax II clutch, which was also a direct fit. I have now raced it 3 times, and love it more and more.

I hope your decision turns out like mine, and u weigh the pros and cons, finally getting what u want.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:59 PM
z style

isnt that seprent centax II a push clutch? what does that mean and what are the pros and cons of that and the stock or a different clutch.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Nitroaddict

basically, the centax clutch doesnt use clutch springs or standard clutch shoes. it is like a push clutch, yes. major benifit is that it grabs ALOT stronger, is adjustable from the outside, and lasts forever.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Team 17

I have the MTX-3 and have no complaints about it. As far as price goes, it's a couple dollars more than Trinity. But to me it's worth it for a top racer. Come April I'm going to put my MTX-3 vs Nitroaddict's Reflex. Should be able to kick his but!! lol
Old 12-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Nitroaddict

haha, Ed - all talk.......lol. Did you forget what engine i have?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:22 AM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

http://www.nitroreview.com/compare/homekits.cfm

look at the reviews