Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

why so slow?

Old 02-15-2004, 10:04 AM
nitroracer20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why so slow?

hello , i have a hpi nitro rs4 3 rtr. i just added a 2 speed tranny and a motor saver air filter and it still seems slow. about how fast should it be going with those mods. i didnt adjust the 2 speed to shift later yet but i already tuned the car(this car only has a high speed needle which is set at 2 and 1/2 turns.please tell me why this car is running so slow, my friends xxx-nt sport almost beat it when i was racing him.
thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 10:06 AM
nitroracer20

Default RE: why so slow?

by the way his car is stock and my 2 spd seems to shift a little early, will it help speed wise if i make it shift later?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:29 AM
acoates

It would help alot if you made it shift later because your motor dosnt get up to speed before it canges gears.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:31 PM
rsxss

i have the rs4 3 also and mine is much slower than the rs4 2 which my friend has i finally got mine running but i adjusted my shifting and it is early but it doesnt seem to go as fast as it should and i a m really mad about it but i was wondering if the shaft drive has somthing to do wiht the lower speed
thanx
austin
Old 02-16-2004, 12:37 AM
raceme

naw if something in your drivetrain was makin your car slower im sure your car wouldnt be runnin now. a problem could be that its your engine. you should try to tune it to the lean side and see what happeneds. then if it goes faster juss leave it at that. the stock engine is slow anyways. or another problem could be that you guys are speed hungry and want more speed. juss get a novarossi or picco and that will solve your problem. and the two speed should add about 5-8mph i think. but yea it should help mostly with the acceleration and makin it shift later will smooth out the power of the car. if your drivin at 15mph and the second speed kicks in it will make your car slower when draging cause it is not up to speed yet an you would accel slower. letting it shift to about 25 will make the engine have less stress and will bring it up to speed faster.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 AM
rastus21

Make sure your gearing isnt to tall ie, like on a mountain bike in top gear. Is it reaching full rpm? If not try larger spur gears, or if it is reving out to early try smaller spur gears. Gears should shift around about 30-35 ft from rolling start. Correct gearing is critical for accelleration and top speed, depending what you want.
Experiment man, it's a part of the fun. Or just buy a Nova Rossi.

Happy tuning
Wolf
Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 AM
ChaRX

Is the car brand new? did you break it in?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:40 PM
aredabirdy10

the engine has to shift when its at its peak (i think) so i guess you should just adjust the shifting time(correct me if i am rong plz)
Old 03-06-2004, 10:49 AM
tenks

As they said, get a better engine, I had an RS4 with that lame FE.15, what a joke of an engine that is. My T-Maxx was faster stock than a RS4 with that engine in it.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Nitrofannn

Dude such great advice here NOT. Ok I will agree that the 15fe is not the best engine around as far as power is concerned but the engine is Honestly one of the most reliable there is out there. It will start on at least the third pull every time I can almost guarantee it. What sort of temps are your engine running at. Being that you only have one needle you may have to lean it out pretty well. As far as the two speed is concerned make sure the allen bolt is tight on the idler shaft of the transmission. Ok which spring did you install. There should have been a black spring and a silver spring. The silver spring is the weaker spring for engines less than 1HP that should be the one that you shoud have used.