Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

my custom exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:00 PM
JamesJenkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my custom exhaust problem

Ive just built a custom exhaust extention system for my car from metal tubing and im very pleased with it, but i have a small probem. The car runs fine until you go full throttle at which it cuts out. The tubing i used was quite abit thicker than the exhaust stinger so it shouldnt have affected the engine should it? Could i be running it to rich so its clogs up because the stinger is now at the top on the muffler? Thanks for any help! James
Old 04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Dalejr08

Default RE: my custom exhaust problem

the problem with custom exhausts is that if they aren't tuned right there can be to much or to little back presure and the exhaust will go back in to the engine when the piston goes down. this could be whats going on with your car. Also if you still have the stock one see if the problem continues
Old 04-26-2004, 03:32 PM
JamesJenkins

I still have the stock exhaust on there, ive just extended the stinger, so wont the car still have back pressure from the original pipe? I thought if you just extended the stinger the perforamace wouldnt be affected. thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 05:55 PM
JGRCNY

Hi James, I want to make custom exhaust. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Also, how did you bend the pipe?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:27 PM
rodrigo1508

I dont understand he is telling you it doesnt work properly and now you want to make one
Old 04-26-2004, 06:58 PM
JGRCNY

Well Rodrigo, let me Make You Understand.

I want to see his to compare designs...............
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Dalejr08

if you just added a stinger it sould change any preformace at all. I thougt you made your own exhaust sorry abut that.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
JamesJenkins

Hi, i'll try and get you some pictures now, although ive gota say without the body shell it looks abit of a mess but its fine with it on (alot of silicon to seal it) i think ive found out what my problem is - my HSN is too rich and the excess fuel is collecting in the muffler because the stinger is now facing upwards. Ive started correcting this and its getting better but it started to rain so i'll carry on tomorrow.

JGRCNY- onto your questions. I didnt bend the pipe at all, i used 90 degree connectors and it made it alot easier. I also used copper plumbing pipe which alot of people think looks ugly but im happy with it. What are you thinking of building your pipe from? It also sounds alot better. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:51 PM
JamesJenkins

JGRCNY- I cant get the pic to upload, so if you give me your email addy i will email them to you.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:03 PM
JGRCNY

Geez...copper tubing.. terrible. Not good James...
Old 04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
JamesJenkins

yeh i no its far from perfect but it looks ok with the ends which come out the back of the car sprayed silver. But it was the cheapest method and im happy with it, so i dont see a problem.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
JGRCNY

I diden tmean any offence..but I do not think we should use Copper Plumbing tubing in RC cars.
The heave weight and its 'Just Not Right' for the hobby.
But I guess if you and only you think its cool..then thats fine with you.

But I still think you should look into ways to do a more custom job...
Old 04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
JamesJenkins

I can see your point, what else do you suggest making it from? And i think it will be a trip to B&Q to get some new material! thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 04:03 PM
JGRCNY

Well, I am looking for proper tubing and tube bending supplies myself.
So far, I think I will make a trip to the hardware store
for aluminum tube (proper size) and I will get a torch to heat the tube..then carefully
using some sort of homemade or purchased bending device, I will shape the tube into
the desired position (rear exaust) - I will then run it from the engine header to a tuned
pipe located at the rear of the car.

Finally polish the tube, header and tuned pipe..
Old 04-27-2004, 04:07 PM
JamesJenkins

I was thinking of using aluminium pipe and doing the same (using 90 degree connectors instead of bending) do you think this would look better? i just dont have the money to do anything complicated as im still at school.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:11 PM
JGRCNY

The fittings is a big problem that takes away from the custom look.
I think we need to learn to bend. and I am Sure it cannot be that expensive..
I mean some tube no prob.. we can make our own bending tool using studs bolted
to a bench.. and you can heat it up with a cheap gas torch. Fill the pipe with sand
so it bends without 'folding' - we can have a Real custom exhaust.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:13 PM
JamesJenkins

Yeh ive just been looking at mine and im thinking its crap really. I think i might do what you suggested and try bending the pipe. Have you got msn or an email addy? so we can talk about this, because im abit unsure about how to go about it.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:25 PM
JGRCNY

Well I am just like you on this one. I have never done it.. I outlined some process above as you have read..that will be the process we can take.
You can use the PM feature on this site to contact me anytime... I like to work in the forums so maybe we will be helping others at the same time..maybe others
can help us also..If you know what I mean.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
JamesJenkins

Ok,

For my exhaust i only want to extend the stinger and the only problem i have (apart from bending the pipe) is how to connect the new exhuast onto the existing stinger, do you have any suggestions? If you dont know what i mean i can email you a picture of my car with the copper pipe on to show you where i plan to connect the new pipe.

Plus, do you think bending aluminium pipe would be hard? and my current custom exhaust is a dual "output" and id like to make my new one like this too, i think the only way to do this would be to use one "T" piece connector because i cant see another way around it, any ideas?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:13 PM
JGRCNY

You can use a coupler to bring the 2 together..or use the torch..some 'brazing solder' and flux to weld the pieces together.

Bending the pip should not be hard because remmeber we need to Heat it up..and it gets softer.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:42 AM
JamesJenkins

I had to take off my old exhaust extension system today because my engine wouldn't start. I have a feeling ive ruied the engine somehow. My glowstarter then ran out of power so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if theres still life in my engine. The protech engine is really crap anyway and im thinking of getting a O.S Engine if i have to get a new one. Will any .12 size engine fit? and the engine ive seen doesn't come with a pullstart, will i be able to put the pullstart off my current engine on this new engine? thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 01:15 AM
poosack

heres my custom exhast. works fine and doesnt effect performance. see the thread named AMAZING CUSTOM EXASHTS for more info
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92185.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	128006   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44664.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	128007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49150.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	128008  
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
drf

Hello everyone.
A couple of things that come to my mind that might be useful to you. (Although I've never built a rc exaust-only 1:1 scale)
First of all the length of the tubing is not picked up by the engine companies by luck but after quite a lot of calculations. Extending it should affect high rpm according to theory to two stroke engines. If the tubbing has a constant inner diameter for the full lenght that is equal to the inner diameter of the exaust hole you can get away with it. Best possible way is to redesign a complete exaust for the length you want but it is tricky and really out of your scope.
Copper is good, aluminium is better. Also there are plastic material that could also do the trick and are much lighter than copper or aluminium. No particular material come to my mind now but I think it is worth looking into it.
Finally, there is a certain way to bend metal tubing in order for it to keep its roundness. I dont know how its done by plumbers where you live, I learned the technique here in Greece.
There is a spring with an inner diameter to fit outside thne standard width copper tubes (so some aluminium ones) If you are using copper first heat it up until the flame of the tortch leaves a nice rainbow coloring on the tube. Then cool the tube with water but make it fast. This make the copper easier to bend as the material is less stiff/strong now.
Then put the spring outside the tube and bend it with your hands as you like. Take the spring out and you are done. The same technique can be used for aluminium but not as easy as aluminium does not get so easily bend as copper. The spring looks like a fully compressed suspension spring. Check out your local hardware stores, they might have something like it.

Hope I've helped.
Keep up the good work
Old 05-03-2004, 06:07 PM
JGRCNY

Thanks for your advice!