Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

A little discussion of 1-way diffs

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

A little discussion of 1-way diffs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM
vwcalbug
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little discussion of 1-way diffs

Well...im building a factory team kit. IT has a 1 way diff in it, and im not sure of the point. What are the benifits of having a one way? I mean, its pretty much not allowing to use the front breaks. And i don't see how that is a benifit? Maybe a better smoother top speed?? When should i run with a one way, when is it best to use a 2 way?

Am i best off learning how to use a one way (because i know they are much harder to drive) Or just use a 2 way for bashing around until i get into a race that specifically needs a one way( and what kind of track would that be)

Thank you for answering my questions, i know there are alot. Maybe just give me what you know and think about one ways. - Justin
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
vwcalbug

Default RE: A little discussion of 1-way diffs

oh yeah, in case it matters, its a nitro tc3 factory team kit.- Justin
Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
nitrohead5300

One-ways are great on tracks that have wide high speed turns where you go thru the turns without hardly getting off the throttle. On technicial tracks for a beginner it can cause alot of problems because of the lack of 4 wheel braking. If you have a ball diff I would reccomend using that for bashing and racing on the technical tracks. Save the one-ways for the hugh tracks with the sweeping turns at least for now.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
ZipZap

You didn't say if you had any experience with touring cars. If this is your first, then the one-way will be a bit frustrating to learn, as braking almost always will cause a spin-out.

The FT kit is specifically packaged with the racing options. I use a one-way for all tracks, regardless of size. The improvement from a one-way is in the turns. The car enters, powers through, and exits turns more smoothly and consistently. The penalty is that braking can only be done in a straight line, and only tapped. I rarely use any brakes when racing; basically only in emergency. The difference in lap times is only a couple tenths, or so.

I would suggest that if you are a novice, you should get a diff kit to install in the front until you become comfortable with the speed and handling. It will allow you to apply hard brakes while maintaining control. The money it costs will be recovered in the amount of parts that you won't break...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 PM
nitrohead5300

When you are running a oneway you can dial out some of your braking force so you don't lock up the rear end and cause your car to spin out too. But it will take a longer distance to stop.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
ZipZap

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

When you are running a oneway you can dial out some of your braking force so you don't lock up the rear end and cause your car to spin out too. But it will take a longer distance to stop.
Exactly. Tough on parts if you're a beginner....
Old 08-10-2004, 02:36 PM
vwcalbug

hey, thank you very much. Im going to run the one way in a wide open area to test it out. If i feel i can't control it, i will switch, thanks- Justin
Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
nitrohead5300

Thats the way to do it man, test it out get a feel for it! With a little practice you can master it .
Old 08-12-2004, 05:39 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

man, i was thinking that something in the rear end was binding, causing the car to spin. my R40 came with the 1-way, so that is what i installed.