Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Help...whats causing this?

Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 PM
viperspeed333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...whats causing this?

My RS4 SS has been running fine, but out of nowhere, during a run it began having problems. I have the engine properly tuned, and at low speeds, the throttle is great. But when its gets to mid to high speeds, the engine goes to a high pitched sound, as if its going wot, but the car is still traveling at low to mid speeds. (i dont know if this means its stalling). Ive properly adjusted the 2 speed, and thats fine, and I also checked the clutch for problems, but it looks good too. Can someone please give me suggestions? I dont even know what to look for on the car. Thanks a lot
Old 08-22-2004, 07:49 PM
fastcrash

Default RE: Help...whats causing this?

does this happen as the car shifts into second gear?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
viperspeed333

From what I can hear, it sound like that, yea...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:46 AM
vwcalbug
My Feedback: (1)

Does the car keep accelerating? Does the engine die? It almost sounds like the power isn't being put to the wheels. Make sure your wheels are tightened up, check all the drivetrain. It sounds like something is slipping, and the power is disengaging. - Justin
Old 08-23-2004, 07:14 AM
viperspeed333

No, the engine doesnt die, but yes, the engine sounds like it keeps accelerating , but it seems like something is preventing it from putting power down to the wheels. Ill check to make sure the wheels are tight, but Im positive that this is not the problem. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:33 AM
viperspeed333

Yea, it sounded like something kept slipping, but the problem was a much easier fix than I thought. I saw the tires were stripped to the bone, but I knew this wouldnt cause the slipping. It seemed like it was slipping in a higher gear, so i checked the wheel hubs, and 3 were fairly stripped, and one was stripped so bad, it looked like a circle rather than a pentagon. I went to the LHS and ordered those aluminum hubs to replace it. Thanks for all the help
Old 08-25-2004, 06:56 AM
AWay

Default amazing

I would never imagine those plastic hexagon things stripping! They fit so tight within the wheel I can't see how they would ever be able to spin within it?! I ordered the purple ones from Tower on Sunday (should be here tomorrow) but it was simply for a matter of convenience. I don't like how when I switch wheels sometimes the plastic hexagon stays in the wheels instead of on the car. I figure with the purple ones they will always stay with the car and plus they look nice.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Tweedybird

Default RE: amazing

yeah they look great, but who sees them besides you?

When your at the track only you will know they are there.

Save your money and just get the replacement plastics that cost what 2 bucks? vs 20 somthin for alumis?

But its your money so cheers!

Tweedy
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM
AWay

I might be mistaken but aren't the solid platic ones not adjustable? Even the ones that come with the car are adjustable, they just happen to be made of black steel instead of nice purple titanium.

And on another note, we all spend $ on things we don't need, so if someone likes how they look and their willing to pay, I don't see the problem.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
Tweedybird

I never stated it was a problem, I voiced my opinion on buying hop ups that only the builder can see and know is there.

Tweedy Bird

ORIGINAL: AWay

I might be mistaken but aren't the solid platic ones not adjustable? Even the ones that come with the car are adjustable, they just happen to be made of black steel instead of nice purple titanium.

And on another note, we all spend $ on things we don't need, so if someone likes how they look and their willing to pay, I don't see the problem.
yeah they look great, but who sees them besides you?

When your at the track only you will know they are there.

Save your money and just get the replacement plastics that cost what 2 bucks? vs 20 somthin for alumis?

But its your money so cheers!

Tweedy
Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Carnutz68

Hard to believe but there are people out there that think buying a rc car is a waste of money. So if you have the money to spend on hop ups for your car that make you feel better i say go for it. At least when you pull your wheels off your hubs look great. There one of the most protected parts on your car so it should only be a one time expense.

__________________________________________________ __________

THE MORE YOU WORK THE HARDER YOU PLAY
Old 08-25-2004, 09:06 PM
aznx2fine

no hop-up is a useless hop-up.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Carnutz68

I agree most any hop up to better your car is worth it
Old 08-26-2004, 02:54 AM
vwcalbug

By the way, i have aluminum hubs, and they don't always stay on the car, actually very rarely. Nothing you can really do about it. - Justin
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
AWay

I thought they clamped on with screws so they wouldn't come off? I guess I'll find out soon enough as mine arrive today.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Carnutz68

I have 1 that comes off the set screw striped out.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
viperspeed333

Well, I thought my LHS ordered the real expensive ones for me from HPI, but when I went to pick it up today, I found they ordered me a set of steel hubs from Tamiya. I was afraid they wouldnt fit, but they do very nicely. Plus, they are about $25 cheaper than the ones from HPI, and they look real sturdy. Check it out if any of you were looking for a set

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGE28&P=7
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 PM
AWay

I'm kind of bummed because [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXHFL9]the ones I got[/link] don't fit. I swore they did as I measure mine and everything, but it turns out these ones have a circle "bump" that sticks out of them where mine need to be flat on both sides. I guess this is for a MT? I'll send em back and get the right ones, just sort of pissed when i have to do that.[:@]