Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Coopz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

I busted the upper right suspenion arm on my Winner Pro (Cry) at the locla hobby track, just wondering if there is a good Australian parts store or an international one that ships to Oz?. The only 2 I have found only seem to sell the engines and gearboxs.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Quest2007

hey guys, I'm thinking about getting another nitro engine ,can anybody tell me which engine would be a better fit for the smartech(more bang...for the buck......[8D]..)
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 PM
boltech

HPI T-15, 18SS
O.S .15 CVR
SH .18

ORIGINAL: Quest2007

hey guys, I'm thinking about getting another nitro engine ,can anybody tell me which engine would be a better fit for the smartech(more bang...for the buck......[8D]..)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Kol

Has anybody replaced the one way bearing in the rear of the 15 CXS engine? If so where can it be bought and what is the part number please? Mine is beginning to slip when i am starting the engine.[]

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

You may not need to replace it. What usually works is if you blow out the bearing with compressed air or use a solvent to clean out any dust, sand or dirt which is usually why it's slipping. Then put a VERY light amount of oil in the rollers and reinstall. It should work as new, if not then you really do need a replacement. Here's the bearing on ebay, from a seller who ships worldwide:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMARTECH-PARTS-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: Kol

Has anybody replaced the one way bearing in the rear of the 15 CXS engine? If so where can it be bought and what is the part number please? Mine is beginning to slip when i am starting the engine.[]

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Kol

Thank for the info tho I dont think that is the right bearing as the one I have has a slot in the forward end in which a pin on the back of the crankshaft sits into to turn the engine for starting. Any other part numbers you know of?

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

You may not need to replace it. What usually works is if you blow out the bearing with compressed air or use a solvent to clean out any dust, sand or dirt which is usually why it's slipping. Then put a VERY light amount of oil in the rollers and reinstall. It should work as new, if not then you really do need a replacement. Here's the bearing on ebay, from a seller who ships worldwide:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMARTECH-PARTS-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: Kol

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:13 PM
GreenRacer

Yeah, I think LOSI and OFNA I think use the same kind of bearing types in some of their larger engines. I have an FMT engine and it's exactly the same as the smartechs, the part number for that is TS005, but I cannot find it anywhere on the web. I pulled mine out to look at it, and the markings on top of the bearing itself are:

Germany HF9612 <--- IMA and the rest I can't see on mine because it's worn off. Anyway, I found the bearing. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN6537

Here it is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAMITE-DYN6537...QQcmdZViewItem

IF your bearing has the same markings, i'd say there's your replacement. I'd try cleaning the one you have first, might just be that simple.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 AM
Kol

Thanks a lot. That looks like it alright. I'm not sure will there be any dirt in it as it's inside the crank case. Tho there might be some small metal filings from worn parts in the engine!!

Thanks again.

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

Yeah, I think LOSI and OFNA I think use the same kind of bearing types in some of their larger engines. I have an FMT engine and it's exactly the same as the smartechs, the part number for that is TS005, but I cannot find it anywhere on the web. I pulled mine out to look at it, and the markings on top of the bearing itself are:

Germany HF9612 <--- IMA and the rest I can't see on mine because it's worn off. Anyway, I found the bearing. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN6537

Here it is on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAMITE-DYN6537...QQcmdZViewItem

IF your bearing has the same markings, i'd say there's your replacement. I'd try cleaning the one you have first, might just be that simple.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 PM
GreenRacer

DOH! You're right! Haha! Isn't it funny how sometimes the simplest of things can slip your mind?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
imn0tnorml

I learned earlier today....
Smartech vs Duratrax in a head-on collission....the duratrax wins....

Broken rear shock and rear dogbone trashed....pull starter knocked completely loose.....missing random bolts now....time to get the roto start I guess....the HPI one just bolts on right? ($53.99 at tower hobbies)?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
mindwreck

how did you damage the rear end with a head on collision. I've the sidewalk at 75% throttle and nothing happened. the bumper is pretty good in this car which is a good thing since the handling isn't the best in the world.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 AM
unty

heys guys just a quick question

inside the tuned pipe theres like a perforated plastic slice where the pipe comes apart. well i took my pipe apart and the slice is all melted and i was wondering how important it is in terms of performance?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
imn0tnorml

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

how did you damage the rear end with a head on collision. I've the sidewalk at 75% throttle and nothing happened. the bumper is pretty good in this car which is a good thing since the handling isn't the best in the world.
Answer:
I tried to turn at the last second and spun-out...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39411.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	464888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64351.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	464889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64063.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	464890  
Old 05-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Kol

I guess it's the stock pipe that you are talking about? If so it is not a tuned pipe. However to answer your question I don't think that removing this baffle will improve your performance but it certainly does make the car very load and neighbour unfriendly if you use it out on the street!!! It may contribute a little bit of back pressure like a tune pipe along with the noixse cancelling properties. It would be easy to make up a new one out of aluminium/plastic if you want to replace it?

ORIGINAL: unty

heys guys just a quick question

inside the tuned pipe theres like a perforated plastic slice where the pipe comes apart. well i took my pipe apart and the slice is all melted and i was wondering how important it is in terms of performance?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Kol

I would try to straighten out the dogbone. You should be fairly sucessful. The worst that can happen is that it will break when you are trying to straighten it. I have straighten out a couple sucessfully.

ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

Answer:
I tried to turn at the last second and spun-out...
Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Kol

Anybody have any advice on suspension set up?? i.e. set up of camber angles/toe-in, toe-out for front and rear suspension??? All of the tires on my car seem to have worn on the inside edge very badly. Now that I have changed all of the hub bearings to ball bearings and elininated most of the play in the suspension I should be able to set the suspension up I hope!!??

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:20 PM
imn0tnorml

Will the roto start replace the pull start? I haven't pulled mine all the way off yet, just checking....
(CTX engine .15)
Old 05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
mindwreck

here are 2 sites that should help with the wheel alignment adjustments

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/gener.../aa012201a.htm

the roto start looks like it would fit, the holes on the smt look pretty standard. i suggest taking it to your lhs. they'll probably have a kit there you could try on.

I've been working on my rc10 so i haven't had much time to messed around with this car.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
boltech

try the tiger drive line of roto start backplates. the back plate is slotted so most engines will fit. you just need to match the size of the one way bearing.

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Star...sMainFrame.htm

ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

Will the roto start replace the pull start? I haven't pulled mine all the way off yet, just checking....
(CTX engine .15)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
lumpy79

hello to everyone, i just wanted to tell everyone thank you for supporting and adding to this thread as it has helped me tremendously with my smartech commando, especially with finding/researching replacement/upgrade parts to purchase....so far i have an extensive list to purchase. (and yes, i did read everyone of the 2000+ posts in this thread.....)

some of the current parts i have upgraded include wheels (both AE and HPI, slightly bigger then stock), HPI header (part# 86037), Paris racing 6 ring tuned pipe (works wicked, but requires you to install your own preassure fitting and depending on the header you use, might require some modification for tire clearence), HPI Main Gear 44T (more teeth equal less top speed, but this is a direct fit into the one speed tranny as a replacment for the decelaration gear, thank you lhs HobbyHobby), Du-Bro Fuel Filter, Du-Bro Fuel tubing (more fuel feed line = more run time) and Speed Car Shocks (not adjustable, but more responsive and better built).

I have also had to replace some parts (dogbones, front shock tower, screws, body posts, shocks, etc...), seems to be a magnetic attraction between smartech cars and innatimate concrete objects[:@], which if it where not for the foam bumper would have resulted in my car completely being destroyed.....but, im sure we have all been there.

so ya, just wanted to say "hey" to all you cats and kittens, and especially to the Capt. and boltech......maybe one day we can get togeather and bash... i know of lots of parking lots with ideal pavement and own racing cones...can you say "outlaw" racing, i think you can

oh, and once i manage to get a camera, i will post some pics of the mods for your viewing pleasure.......
Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
imn0tnorml

I'm going to be a bit of a distance from home for the next few days...Id the one way bearing for the CTX a 6mm? I was looking at the tiger drives and it looks like 90% of engines are using the 6mm bearing. I have some bills to pay, so it'll be a week or so before I can make my next order. (I NEED the rearview mirrors...) My shock is demolished, so I have to purchase some new ones....Does firmer or softer improve the handling?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:21 PM
mindwreck

firmer shocks and a sway bar helps with handling. softer ones can cause your car to roll.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM
boltech

You are very welcome lumpy79...glad to be of help

I too plan on making a video soon but it was raining for the last week and a half and it was very very cold over the long weekend 'actually a few snow flakes fell [sm=punching.gif]. today was the first perfect day in a while but just my luck I have a cold [:@]. I'm dying to see how my commando performs now that it is totally BB out.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
mindwreck

the carb really sucks on these things. i let my smt sit for about a week while i was fixing and racing with my rc10. I ran it yesterday and it was completely out of tune. idling too high and runing way too rich.

lesson learned: buy a better carb
Old 05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
GreenRacer

I use the carb off the tower hobbies ABC 15 on my engines and they are a HUGE improvement on performance and tunability. And a LOT cheaper than the OS 10e carb.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWV94&P=7

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.