Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

hey, so i finally got my car running after waiting for like a month for all the parts to arrive from various retaillers.....and i go and burn my clutch out. so i managed to get to lhs before closing and picked up the duratrax clutch shoes for $13CDN (amoungst other items of choice)...not to shabby. oh, the right after realizing the clutch was burnt out, l broke the tie rod on the rear when i cartwheeled my car past my girlfriend. she did not looked impressed, to say the least. anyway, guess i got a couple of days to fix my car before the weekend. hopefully, my next round of repairs and upgrades will last longer then five tanks......
Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 AM

It's crazy how much I hear about people burning out the clutch...some on the first day even....Am I doing something wrong or do I have a "super-clutch"? (I'm still on original, and I run the car like a madman). What is causing the clutches to burn out?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Kol

I feel the same. What are people doing that I am not doing to kill a clutch in such a short time???? I have the original still in place and it's like new!!

ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

It's crazy how much I hear about people burning out the clutch...some on the first day even....Am I doing something wrong or do I have a "super-clutch"? (I'm still on original, and I run the car like a madman). What is causing the clutches to burn out?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM

I burned out 2 stock clutches when i first got my Commando. my idle speed was correct. the wheels barely turned when the car was up in the air. I would be running the car like normal and when i applied the brakes the engine would die. The smartech stock shoes are very poor quality at best and even comparing them to the duratrax shoes you can see there is a big difference in quality. I still prefer alloy shoes tho as you can hear if they are even making the slightest contact with the clutch bell.

ORIGINAL: Kol

I feel the same. What are people doing that I am not doing to kill a clutch in such a short time???? I have the original still in place and it's like new!!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:44 AM

I have burnt through so many clutches/brake disks, and brake housings that I have lost count. I guess the high revs and quick braking needed for nitro drifting will do that though.
On a side note, looks like I won't have to sell the RC right now afterall. I found some old hotwheels in the garage that I'm selling instead to get the real cars fixed. Just thought I'd give those who care an update.

[8D]
Old 05-25-2006, 10:54 AM

and the crowd goes wild! [sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif]
too many guys have to give up rc due to 1:1 probs, Nagging Wife, or Tight cash flow... keep hanging in there!

ORIGINAL: r20crazy

I have burnt through so many clutches/brake disks, and brake housings that I have lost count. I guess the high revs and quick braking needed for nitro drifting will do that though.
On a side note, looks like I won't have to sell the RC right now afterall. I found some old hotwheels in the garage that I'm selling instead to get the real cars fixed. Just thought I'd give those who care an update.

[8D]
Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 PM

lol.
Thanks boltech
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM

I seem to be the lucky one. I haven't any clutch problems with my commando.I do powerslides with my car instead of all out drifting. I've heard that drifting is really bad for the clutch and its why some people still use electrics to drift.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:57 PM

ya, i was the same way......my clutch is wicked, my engine is tuned and BAM, my clutch is toast....it takes litterly a second and you toast it. my girlfriend does not mind my rc addiction and fully supports it, she just does not like seeing me almost decapitate her and ruin my car in the same stroke. but the way i look at it, as long as the car doesnt get ruined....the health car is free in canada, car maintenance and upkeep are not.

also got some other goodies of note, two sets of tires and rims, a slightly used engine and pipe (smartech) and some aluminum adj. shocks. should all be arriving shortly. i love the classifieds here. anyway, hopefully i will have my car running for the weekend and can take some photos with my friend. he runs an acme condor buggy, and the funny thing is, the key parts look identical to my commando. just an idea maybe for some of the guys running buggies, you can possibly look under acme parts also if you need. he told me they make a .18 engine that fits excatly the same as our .15smt engines, so another possible upgrade.....we shall see....
Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 PM

I don't know if the commando can take all that torque. but if you do upgrade let me know I would love to find out how it performs.

how did you almost decapitate your girl?[X(]

ORIGINAL: lumpy79

ya, i was the same way......my clutch is wicked, my engine is tuned and BAM, my clutch is toast....it takes litterly a second and you toast it. my girlfriend does not mind my rc addiction and fully supports it, she just does not like seeing me almost decapitate her and ruin my car in the same stroke. but the way i look at it, as long as the car doesnt get ruined....the health car is free in canada, car maintenance and upkeep are not.

also got some other goodies of note, two sets of tires and rims, a slightly used engine and pipe (smartech) and some aluminum adj. shocks. should all be arriving shortly. i love the classifieds here. anyway, hopefully i will have my car running for the weekend and can take some photos with my friend. he runs an acme condor buggy, and the funny thing is, the key parts look identical to my commando. just an idea maybe for some of the guys running buggies, you can possibly look under acme parts also if you need. he told me they make a .18 engine that fits excatly the same as our .15smt engines, so another possible upgrade.....we shall see....
Old 05-25-2006, 08:23 PM

How to Decapitate your girlfriend: step 1) take high speed corner all out. step 2) make sure there is a crack filled with rubber. step 3) watch as car catches an edge with said crack and begins to cartwheel. step 4) pray nothing breaks. either with car or girlfriend.

she happened to be sitting close by to where i was standing and operating vechile, it missed her by about a foot. no harm done to girlfriend, but i managed to catapult my rear dogbone and stripped out the screw holding the rear tie rod. picked up some bolts from lhs with washers, lock nuts to remedy situation. girlfriend thought the crash was kind kewl, especially the part where the car caught the crack and flipped into the air about three feet......good fun for the whole family. i think if im going to do any engine upgrades, its going to be with switching to an hpi t-15 or a o.s. we shall see.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:15 PM

LOL!

was this on the road or sidewalk? I've always considered the sidewalk to be offroad territory.

then again Toronto roads are among the worst in ontario.. twice I cracked my 16" Alloy rims on potholes. IN ONE WINTER!!!
the first time I lost a chunk and the rim and tire were a writeoff and cost me $3200 in repairs... the second time $1800..
good luck battling the city for compensation.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

So...I just put an 18 from my evader into my FMT winner pro clone, and I'm wondering if it'll survive break-in.

Has anyone tried to put a trx 2.5 into their single speed kiddy spaceship yet?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 PM

sorry to change topic, buti just wanted to show u guys what i just done to my winner2.[img][/img]

i was coming aloung the road flat out when i lost controll of my car into a stormwater outlet in the gutter.
my car cant seem to keep a straight line when it is flat stick, what can i change/adjust to stop this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96759.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	467071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94825.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	467072  
Old 05-27-2006, 01:07 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Nice crash! I've had the same problem with my steering so I trashed the stock stuff. I redid the bellcrank linkage with an old rc10t BB bellcrank, and replaced the servo horn with a servo saver. It seems to me that the servo horn linkage to the stock bellcrank is flexing the bellcrank/spring loaded servo saver post instead of just turning it. I think the reason being is the linkage isn't exactly horizontal...or even close.

Here's a picture of what I've done, and a stock setup.

ORIGINAL: hyper701

sorry to change topic, buti just wanted to show u guys what i just done to my winner2.[img][/img]

i was coming aloung the road flat out when i lost controll of my car into a stormwater outlet in the gutter.
my car cant seem to keep a straight line when it is flat stick, what can i change/adjust to stop this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90373.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	467129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99428.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	467130  
Old 05-27-2006, 03:18 AM

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!

That is EXACTLY what happened to me... the only thing that kept my mind off my seperation with ex Mrs. Nifty was my Smartech...

Hey everybody I'm back...

News for everybody who hasn't tried the following yet:
The HPI aluminum header, works perfect, you get a nice tone, and the engine seems somewhat smoother just don't forget to grind the inside of the header to match the engine...
The Ofna micro failsafe, for those of you who don't have a failsafe yet, I personally think its one of the best investments you can make. Very light weight and very non intrusive form factor.
Team Associated's RC10GT air filter kit (this is a DIRECT FIT!) I got it for $10 CDN.
HPI Nissan Z33GT300 body, I aped the real car as much as I could....with a few exceptions...
TVR Tuscan speed six body shell
Honda Mobil 1 NSX GT, this body is getting a titanium finish... with pearlescent black side panels..
Super Autobacs Toyota MR-S... THIS body is a PERFECT fit and by far, THE most functional and one of the more stiffer bodies. This one's cut, vented, CF'd and painted black and white and the "woow circuit" decal's orange like overtone pulls off a Hara style look...
Megatech 24mm gold Volk Le37 rims, decaled and detailed... (premounted tires, good for spinning around and just going crazy... at the price (29CDN) it'd be hard to go wrong and they look JDM on the MR-SGT body....
Dubro makes an EXCELLENT inline fuel filter which will match your chassis' purple anodizing work (its the same color!)
New fuel tubing,
Dynamite Racing pressure tap to PROPERLY point the exhaust to fuel tank pressure pipe away from the clutch works, it actually swivels, very NIFTY!
And I will have some tips on how to lighten up your bodies... and allow air to the body in a way other than using the hole in the windshield...
don't forget, you can still put hot glue behind a painted body to make it stronger. it doesn't get brittle like epoxy and will help you put in your mesh for grills etc...

I think its time to take this SMT into overdrive, does anyone know what needs to be reworked for the 18ss and T15 engines from HPI? I want to get a tuned pipe, but I'm not going to throw my funding on it if I'm just going to get a better engine...

My super stock clutch seems to be doing well... I did a tear down and the shoes are fine..

One thing you guys HAVE to know... if you're Smartech is not doing the 1-2 shift to easily or if first gear seems to tall, check that backing plate on the tranny gears, it should ALWAYS be fully secured with these little screws..

Megatech has released a new RC car model spray, its also good fo nitros..PLASTIC AND ELECTRONICS FRIENDLY get out there and get it.

Tune out your suspensions, and replace the oil if you must, my smt came with the aluminum shocks and ball bearings standard but the oil used was only 40 weight or so it seemed... I'm currently using 70 kinwald weights on a flat finished school backyard near where I live... you guys should hear the echo come off those school's rear wall... get the suspension tuned, its your best friend besides the animal power from the engine... the reason why smartechs handle so so is pretty much because the wheel caster and camber for each is kinda off.

boltech and lumpy, for sure will bash together! outlaw cruising it is.. hehe

I shall post pics for all of you to see in due time...

ORIGINAL: boltech

and the crowd goes wild! [sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif]
too many guys have to give up rc due to 1:1 probs, Nagging Wife, or Tight cash flow... keep hanging in there!

ORIGINAL: r20crazy

[8D]
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 AM

Hey
Hoe much are you guys spendin on these smartech engines because they sell all those engines here in china at the lhs(AKA the market where they get everything factory direct) for $50 if your spendin like $120...man you are gettin ripped off!!!!
Dan
Old 05-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Kol

They are available for $49.99 on ebay too. I think it's $10 shipping to Ireland. That's not bad. That's for the smartech engine .15.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Kol

Just found an SH .18 engine on ebay for approx $41 including the shipping to ireland. Looks like it's worth a thought at least. Anybody have any idea how much power the SH .18 engine is putting out??

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EWA%3AVRI&rd=1
Old 05-27-2006, 07:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

you said to grind out the opening on the hpi... which way? up and down or side to side?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:53 AM

I saw those engines a few weeks back on ebay and started a thread to find out about them and the team infinity engines. seems they are fairly new and no one knows anything about them.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4217855/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: Kol

Just found an SH .18 engine on ebay for approx $41 including the shipping to ireland. Looks like it's worth a thought at least. Anybody have any idea how much power the SH .18 engine is putting out??

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EWA%3AVRI&rd=1
Old 05-27-2006, 08:10 AM

The T-15 and 18SS are direct drop ins. no modding needed. I if you do decide to get the HPI T-15 or 18SS then get the HPI flywheel and collet. the threaded shaft on the 18SS and T-15 is a bit shorter than the shaft on the smartech engines.

With the smartech flywheel and spacer installed there won't be much exposed shaft for the pilot shaft. the HPI flywheel has the spacer built in so you can get rid of the smartech spacer. and then there will be ample threaded shaft exposed for the pilot shaft.
if you check my models on my page you can actually see the rotostart T-15 installed in my commando

HPI Flywheel / collet
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXBTA6

ORIGINAL: Captain_Nifty

I think its time to take this SMT into overdrive, does anyone know what needs to be reworked for the 18ss and T15 engines from HPI? I want to get a tuned pipe, but I'm not going to throw my funding on it if I'm just going to get a better engine...

Old 05-27-2006, 08:15 AM

The sides to make the opening in the header as wide as the opening on the engine.
but make it funnel shaped to reduce and turbulance and smooth perfomance of the pipe

ORIGINAL: fishy2k8

you said to grind out the opening on the hpi... which way? up and down or side to side?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 AM
My Feedback: (4)

is this necessary? will i get by ok without doing this?... what the point it as wide as the opening from the engine when the pipe from the header mount is only so big anyway?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:37 AM

if you look at the opening on the hpi header it's a small hole. you can get by without doing it but it increases performance by making the opening funnel shaped.

ORIGINAL: fishy2k8

is this necessary? will i get by ok without doing this?... what the point it as wide as the opening from the engine when the pipe from the header mount is only so big anyway?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.