Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

OK, I tore the SMT down...
IMAGE 1. ALL 4 screws holding the pull-start on were missing after the collision. I measured the rear plate so I can get the tiger drive ordered. It looks like the one way bearing is a 6mm. (What I don't understand is how that thing works...I removed the hex and shaft, and the shaft is completely round, but when it is in the engine, it acts as if it were locking...spins only one way freely.) ANYWAY, the hole for attachment are 32mm spacing for the best of my measurements...(Using a wooden ruler). If someone has other measurements, feel free to correct me.

IMAGE 2. Bent dogbone....I bent it back to 95% straight...it's pretty "soft" metal. Might look for a replacement.

IMAGE 3. Since I had the engine off, I decided to look at my stock clutch. It does not appear to be worn very bad at all. The picture isn't too clear, but you can tell it's not melted.

IMAGE 4. Does anyone have a screw in this hole? There is a rod holding the top swingarm that has come out on ocassion and caused my front end to become "loose". I also lost the spacer on the side shown. (Fixed with cutout rubber washer)

I'll be odering 2 of the tiger drives when I do order, my CEN ST is a "P.I.T.A." to get started by pull-start.

L8r.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70230.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	467260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57871.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	467261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30217.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	467262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17491.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	467263  
Old 05-27-2006, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (3)

#1 There's a one way bearing inside the crankcase the hex shaft slides into.

#4 There should be a small set screw inset, it's to hold the hingepin in place.

ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

IMAGE 1. ALL 4 screws holding the pull-start on were missing after the collision. I measured the rear plate so I can get the tiger drive ordered. It looks like the one way bearing is a 6mm. (What I don't understand is how that thing works...I removed the hex and shaft, and the shaft is completely round, but when it is in the engine, it acts as if it were locking...spins only one way freely.) ANYWAY, the hole for attachment are 32mm spacing for the best of my measurements...(Using a wooden ruler). If someone has other measurements, feel free to correct me.

IMAGE 2. Bent dogbone....I bent it back to 95% straight...it's pretty "soft" metal. Might look for a replacement.

IMAGE 3. Since I had the engine off, I decided to look at my stock clutch. It does not appear to be worn very bad at all. The picture isn't too clear, but you can tell it's not melted.

IMAGE 4. Does anyone have a screw in this hole? There is a rod holding the top swingarm that has come out on ocassion and caused my front end to become "loose". I also lost the spacer on the side shown. (Fixed with cutout rubber washer)

I'll be odering 2 of the tiger drives when I do order, my CEN ST is a "P.I.T.A." to get started by pull-start.

L8r.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Good news for EVERYBODY....

Sullivan's Tiger Drive kit no S682 is a direct fit, however, you do have to either a) get the S698 shim kit or b) setup your own shims (which is what I'm doing AS I type this) The installation is going smoothly right now, I like the fact that you can actually orient the starter in any of the four directions that you choose, and it works well with my 9.6v De Walt Drill....
if you want to save yourself the headache of pull starting (its just not healthy anymore...lol), get this set, its adjustable and matches the smartech engine really well... and don't worry, it comes with a gear premounted on a one way bearing for your ease of installation... almost plug and play...

i'm also attempting to install HPI's servo saver kit, which comes with a bell crank for steering and a servo saver set.. (6.90cdn... well worth it) to avoid the pulling to the left and right during heavy acceleration...

I also dropped off the measurements to all dogbones to let Martin at AJ Hobby find suitable replacements, i have purchased one set for the front (HPI make) and it appears that you need to grind about .5mm all around and you will have a decent fit...

I got this advice for the 18ss from an expert racer at the shop today too, he stated, avoid the 18ss engine and something else with an SG shaft... apparently the loss of power from that engine after the first few runs is still very noticable..

HPI's 12 size engine also appears to be a good one to drop in, its pretty much a Novarossi in HPI markings...

Also, I dont' know if anyone's noticed this (and I didn't take my SMT to the LHS today) but, ever notice that RC10GT parts are very similar to our machines? next time I go back I'm taking my SMT to compare.

Hope that helps you guys... more later man, its great to be back... I missed my rc family...
Old 05-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Are you sure the 18SS has an SG shaft? my 18SS is regular threaded shaft.
but i plan to move it over to my Thunder Tiger SSB and Put an O.S Max 18 CV-RX in my 18SS.
it should all come to fruition this week sometime.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:02 PM

Welcome back Captain!!!! We missed your NIFTYness.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:27 PM

Hey, I have a Sirio .18 in my t-maxx and it rips sh*t. Pretty easy to tune too. If this is the engine you're talking about I can try it in my commando to see if it fits.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:37 PM

Wouldn't that much power destroy the SMT parts? If you upgraded all the parts to handle the .18...you'd probably have a 90% complete HPI car.

Capn, do you have the tiger drive right now?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Kol

Hi Captain, what engine are u using?? I have been looking on the sullivan website and I reckon that the S689 tigerdrive(90 degreee) or the S704 (inline) are the ones I need for the .15 CSX engine as the one way bearing is inside the crankcase.

I reckon the inline tigerdrive might be a good option as there is good access from the rear of the car. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Has anybody put a tigerdrive onto a .15 CXS engine??

ORIGINAL: Captain_Nifty

Sullivan's Tiger Drive kit no S682 is a direct fit, however, you do have to either a) get the S698 shim kit or b) setup your own shims (which is what I'm doing AS I type this) The installation is going smoothly right now, I like the fact that you can actually orient the starter in any of the four directions that you choose, and it works well with my 9.6v De Walt Drill....
if you want to save yourself the headache of pull starting (its just not healthy anymore...lol), get this set, its adjustable and matches the smartech engine really well... and don't worry, it comes with a gear premounted on a one way bearing for your ease of installation... almost plug and play...

i'm also attempting to install HPI's servo saver kit, which comes with a bell crank for steering and a servo saver set.. (6.90cdn... well worth it) to avoid the pulling to the left and right during heavy acceleration...

I also dropped off the measurements to all dogbones to let Martin at AJ Hobby find suitable replacements, i have purchased one set for the front (HPI make) and it appears that you need to grind about .5mm all around and you will have a decent fit...

I got this advice for the 18ss from an expert racer at the shop today too, he stated, avoid the 18ss engine and something else with an SG shaft... apparently the loss of power from that engine after the first few runs is still very noticable..

HPI's 12 size engine also appears to be a good one to drop in, its pretty much a Novarossi in HPI markings...

Also, I dont' know if anyone's noticed this (and I didn't take my SMT to the LHS today) but, ever notice that RC10GT parts are very similar to our machines? next time I go back I'm taking my SMT to compare.

Hope that helps you guys... more later man, its great to be back... I missed my rc family...
Old 05-29-2006, 11:13 AM

I'm looking at the S680...It will fit my CEN, but as you can see from my pics, they are different on the one-way bearing locations. Also, the sizes are different (Hex)...Both shafts are 6mm, so maybe I'll just get one right now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62328.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	468100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48123.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	468101  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Kol

Going by the smartech website, the commando is fitted with the 45072 flywheel already?? Has anybody changed a single speed commando to two speed without changing the pilot shaft??

@Boltech, Do you have the dimensions of the two pilot shafts so that I can measure mine to see which one it is??

ORIGINAL: boltech

Not a problem... 2peed for offroad is not recommended... Picture this you hit a nice ramp and get airborn.. since the wheels are in their air the tranny will hit 2nd speed... now with the wheels spinning real fast you land.. that is a lot of stress on the tranny and diffs... you may end up stripping gears or diffs. 2 speed is more for onroad than offroad.

but here is the parts you will need for the upgrade
#45069 2 SPD Clutch Bell $8.99 from Excel Hobby
#35004 2 SPD Transmission $19.99 from Excel Hobby
#45072 Winner Pro Flywheel/pins/axel $3.90 from rcmart <-- Mainly you need the pilot shaft from this kit. it is a bit longer
than the one that came installed in your car for the one speed bell. The two speed bell is 1mm longer than the one speed for obvious reasons.

FYI.... DON't and I repeat DON't get the stock smartech clutch shoes.[X(]
go with Duratrax White Nylon Shoes DTXC7156 or Kyosho Alloy Shoes IF204

ORIGINAL: Quest2007

thanks for the offer boltec but i had already ordered some from excel hobby,it should be here any day now due to the fact that i had orderd extra parts with out knowing that i was going to need them.............i have a winner 3 off road one speed, but thinking about changing to a two speed is that hard to do??.....can any one tell me where i can find a two seed clutch bell or can i just get it from my lhs, if so what name brand that will macth up with the winner 3................thanks for anwsering
Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Kol

There should be grub screws in those holes although they are very hard to see. I thought there were none in mine until i stuck an allen key in and started to tighten them!! U should check it out. lol

L8r.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM

lol... oh I should have clarified, he stated that an SG shaft would do us good considering there's a bolt holding the clutch bell in at the tip of the shaft.

I'm trying to track down a good 12 or 19 engine with a compatible SG shaft, fingers crossed everybody, if I do, there will be prices...
the os max CVRX18 is an awesome engine!

Are you sure the 18SS has an SG shaft? my 18SS is regular threaded shaft.
but i plan to move it over to my Thunder Tiger SSB and Put an O.S Max 18 CV-RX in my 18SS.
it should all come to fruition this week sometime.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 PM

yes sir! its installed and I got a full day's worth of running... starts are beautiful...

Wouldn't that much power destroy the SMT parts? If you upgraded all the parts to handle the .18...you'd probably have a 90% complete HPI car.

Capn, do you have the tiger drive right now?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:30 PM

I'm using the stock smartech engine, .15cxp blue headed engine. It looks a lot like your CEN engine, my one way bearing external... for yours the s689 might do the trick but don't forget to check your Tiger drives plate, the bolt pattern should match, they're slotted and so is the mount for the tiger drive one way bearing mount, so you have a good shot at fitment, my tiger drive bolted perfectly to the back at the ends of the notches.

The great thing about these drives is that starting up your Smartech is a lot more pleasurable... in most cases, I just prime and start the rotation, add a touch of the glow plug heater and bam! engine on and idling away. You MIGHT need a set of shims, i compromised and put in 2mm thick nuts that fit around the bolt supplied (check this out, if you have an HPI body, these things come with the body to mount spoilers.

The inline would be a good option IF you have it set up so that the clearance is there... best way to look at it is like this... sight a 5-6 mm hole with the center of the imaginary hole being the center of the hex drive reciever on the tiger drive, if you can sight a straight line, you can mount it.. although, Always double check for fitment...

This is one highly recommended mod....

ORIGINAL: Kol

Hi Captain, what engine are u using?? I have been looking on the sullivan website and I reckon that the S689 tigerdrive(90 degreee) or the S704 (inline) are the ones I need for the .15 CSX engine as the one way bearing is inside the crankcase.

I reckon the inline tigerdrive might be a good option as there is good access from the rear of the car. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Has anybody put a tigerdrive onto a .15 CXS engine??

ORIGINAL: Captain_Nifty

Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM

if the pilot shaft is 23mm long then it will be 1mm too short for the 2speed clutch bell. not all commandos come with #45072
some like mine which are natively 1spd came with #11353 which is a 23mm pilot shaft. 45072 came with the winner and winner sport which are natively 2spd cars.

Going by the smartech website, the commando is fitted with the 45072 flywheel already?? Has anybody changed a single speed commando to two speed without changing the pilot shaft??

@Boltech, Do you have the dimensions of the two pilot shafts so that I can measure mine to see which one it is??

Not a problem... 2peed for offroad is not recommended... Picture this you hit a nice ramp and get airborn.. since the wheels are in their air the tranny will hit 2nd speed... now with the wheels spinning real fast you land.. that is a lot of stress on the tranny and diffs... you may end up stripping gears or diffs. 2 speed is more for onroad than offroad.

#45072 Winner Pro Flywheel/pins/axel $3.90 from rcmart <-- Mainly you need the pilot shaft from this kit. it is a bit longer
than the one that came installed in your car for the one speed bell. The two speed bell is 1mm longer than the one speed for obvious reasons.

thanks for the offer boltec but i had already ordered some from excel hobby,it should be here any day now due to the fact that i had orderd extra parts with out knowing that i was going to need them.............i have a winner 3 off road one speed, but thinking about changing to a two speed is that hard to do??.....can any one tell me where i can find a two seed clutch bell or can i just get it from my lhs, if so what name brand that will macth up with the winner 3................thanks for anwsering
Old 05-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Kol

Thanks Boltech. I will check it tonight. I have ordered the bell housing and clutch shoes. Just have to make the order for the transmission today and see how it goes!!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Kol

Transmission ordered. Should have all the bits in the next three weeks. THen I'll start on the next mod!! lol
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Sweet Welcome to the world of 2 speed.. it really makes a difference... while you are at it.. if your car is not totally BB... then do so.. it really frees everything up nicely.

Transmission ordered. Should have all the bits in the next three weeks. THen I'll start on the next mod!! lol
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM

or at least change the bushings in the clutch bell to BB first.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 AM

The bolt pattern is the same between both of my engines. 32mm between the holes in both directions.

From the pics of the tiger drives, it looks like the external bearing needs the inline drive and the internal would use the 90degree drive. Does that sound right?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Dan thanks, for the advice.. I had no idea that a LHS exsisted in Nanjing..( got an address of a location in town? I usually stay at the jinling ) On my next trip, I will have my driver find one for me. Is fuel also easy to get? I may just buy another car and it will give me something to do while my factories are working on my samples... Great to know.. Keep in touch..

I always travel through HK and the Montauk are is unbelievable by North American standards.. For all of you here.. in Hong Kong you have an area of the city dedicated to men.. Hobby Shop after Hobby Shop after Hobby Shop, Gun Shops, Custom Auto parts, and much much more. I spent most of the time in the hobby shops so I did not pay too much attention to all the other types of busineses around, but it would be like going to the mall and having all the womens clothing stores become hobby shops..

Take care..

ORIGINAL: Dan Collins

Hey
Hoe much are you guys spendin on these smartech engines because they sell all those engines here in china at the lhs(AKA the market where they get everything factory direct) for $50 if your spendin like $120...man you are gettin ripped off!!!!
Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Kol

All hub replaced and BB installed plus new axles last week!! It made a good difference. I can actually set the suspension up now.

Sweet Welcome to the world of 2 speed.. it really makes a difference... while you are at it.. if your car is not totally BB... then do so.. it really frees everything up nicely.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Kol

I think you can get inline or 90 degree drive for all configurations? They have a chart on the site that gives a reference number per engine type for both drives if they are available .

The bolt pattern is the same between both of my engines. 32mm between the holes in both directions.

From the pics of the tiger drives, it looks like the external bearing needs the inline drive and the internal would use the 90degree drive. Does that sound right?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Kol

I measured the pilot shaft and it is 23.17mm long. Ireckon it should be okay though as there are 1.2mm of spacers fitted on the end of the pilot shaft where it comes out of the front of the clutch bell housing. The two speed bell housing should use up most of this "extra lenght so i wont have to use the spacers anymore. (in theory!!!)

if the pilot shaft is 23mm long then it will be 1mm too short for the 2speed clutch bell. not all commandos come with #45072
some like mine which are natively 1spd came with #11353 which is a 23mm pilot shaft. 45072 came with the winner and winner sport which are natively 2spd cars.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM

actually a while back I came across such spacers while taking a printer apart. they are about the same diameter as the pilot shaft. and it turns out the with one of them installed I could have used my old pilot shaft with the 2spd bell

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#4147901

I measured the pilot shaft and it is 23.17mm long. Ireckon it should be okay though as there are 1.2mm of spacers fitted on the end of the pilot shaft where it comes out of the front of the clutch bell housing. The two speed bell housing should use up most of this "extra lenght so i wont have to use the spacers anymore. (in theory!!!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.