Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Kol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

Here's a video clip of Smartech abuse!! Hitting the kerb was unintentional!! lol No damage sustained.

Enjoy

http://media.putfile.com/Smartech-abuse
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Kol

For anybody looking at that link. I'm just after noticing that the host website I use seems to host other video clips too!! lol Try to ignore them!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Looks nice....you should try to get out to an open / empty parking lot and let it rip....One day I hope to get someone to clock mine.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM

kol - love the video....nothing quite brings pleasure as donuts....mmmmmhhh, donuts....aggghhhhhrr!!!!!!!!!!!! and im sure your not the only one to smack a curb, thats why we have those big part, life and love saving bumpers. its saved my ass more then once and im sure its saved more then a few rc's.

capt - for sure we can coop on a larger order. im going to follow your lead and put togeather a spread sheet of parts that i require/need/want. but these will most likely be the last parts i buy/order for my smartech, as i want to be buying a mt 2 18ss soon, as im feeling the need to start playing in the dirt. my smartech is going to be most likely converted at that point into my R&D car, which will let me bring some of the ideas i have to life....and not let me ruin higher end kits.

i want to look into converting my smartech soon into rally mode......i found some hpi rally tires that look promising, and i feel with some longer/stiffer shocks and some chassis trimming for a rally mod to be very possible. i finally got around to removing the diffs to get a closer examination of the damage and it turns out its not that bad. i can get my car up and running with rear 2wd......im just going to have to cannabilize some parts from the front diff to help make the rear more solid......should prove to be very interesting with only 2wd.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Very cool... we will most def set something up... I think you'll like this idea...
ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

I'm starting to get a good amount of tools accumulating in my garage turned R/C shop. I'm getting a lot of project coming up...making PVC drifting tires...I have a couple of websites I'm builing for some companies, so I've been spending a lot of time developing them...the weekends are almost always 25% for R/C lol. Let me know what you have in mind...I have many PC tools at my disposal....
Old 06-16-2006, 06:39 PM

My personal suggestion, the RC10GT two stage air filter... I have one on my SMT and it works great... just cap the top of the filter with foam from another old filter so that dust doesn't track straight in...
I've added a pic of the filter with the outer foam stage extended to show the inner core. it stays on VERY well
ORIGINAL: Coopz

Took the Commando to the local indoor track this afternoon. Still running it rich she stalled a few times but after about 3 tanks it was running a lot better, going down the straight it really has a nice engine note, some of the other guys there were asking what the motor was and did I mod the pipe
Still wish Smartech could invent a aircleaner that stayed on, tried to zip tie it but it still popped off during a crash.
Car took a few solid whacks and nothing broke which is good
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28478.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	478643  
Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM

Hey all. Haven't posted ina long time but I thought some of you might be interested in this carb I saw on ebay. It's item # 6065788625. IT would be a great replacement for any of those single needle carbs that eveyone loves so much.

Enjoymentboy
Old 06-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Ok, I was bored so I started looking through my "spare parts" bins loking for something to create a camera mount from.
What I have found:[ul][*] The remaining rear shock from my SMT.[*]The cap from an old SMT servo.
[/ul]
With a little grinding down of some parts via dremmel, I was able to construct what I have dubbed "The DrivR"

The camera sit in the driver side of the vehicle...well, driver-side US.

My main concerns right now are:
[ul][*]Will the camera stay straight as it is or will i need to create something to maintain it's aim?[*]Is the spring too stiff or not stiff enough?[*]How cool will the video be when I actually run it?
[/ul]
I'll have to wait and see....

Here are some pics of the "McGuyver-ism" dubbed "DrivR"

Name:	Ec87331.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	478714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61908.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	478715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51607.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	478716  
Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Not to disrupt the flow of the thread. but did some parts research at my LHS.

The Stock Smartech rear Hinge pins are 3mm x 45mm,

I found a Traxxas set that are 3mm x 44mm and they look very promising
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJG86&P=ML

The RS4 3 PRO also uses a similar hinge pin but it's dimentions are 3mm x 45.8mm HPI #6288

hope this saves from the trouble of cutting dog bones.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Does your LHS help you in the parts quest? It seems that if I don't have a part number, I'm not going to get what I'm looking for. It'd be nice if I could say, let me see a [whatever part] from HPI and they would let me look at it and compare. I'd probably buy more there too...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

OR!! You could use nails!

ORIGINAL: boltech

The RS4 3 PRO also uses a similar hinge pin but it's dimentions are 3mm x 45.8mm HPI #6288

Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Some of the hobby shops here let you do that, some don't. I find that the mom n pop outfits will let you play around more, and usually have a box-o-goodies they are trying to get rid of outdated or discontinued parts at a discount. Here in Dallas, there are quite a few hobby shops. I usually stay away from places like hobby town which are franchises because they are almost always more expensive than the smaller places and much more uptight.

Does your LHS help you in the parts quest? It seems that if I don't have a part number, I'm not going to get what I'm looking for. It'd be nice if I could say, let me see a [whatever part] from HPI and they would let me look at it and compare. I'd probably buy more there too...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 PM

The guy at hobby home not so much so I just do some looking around on my own with part on hand.
but the guys at RC Sports are great with parts comparing.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM

Not everyone has a rotary tool to cut dog bones or nail heads/points.

So I was searching for a better stronger solution! and have found a couple for now.

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

OR!! You could use nails!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM

sorry a lil off topic, but i been trying to access the awhobby website for bout a week now and no luck....

is it just me or is thier site down?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:14 AM
E_V

hey every1.......i got a small prob....my engine dies wen i take my glow starter of it[]

i'v tried al different needle settings on both needles (not to the extremes of course)

i have a feeling my glow plug is busted[&o]

any other suggestions of wht the problem is?

cheers
Old 06-17-2006, 10:26 AM

e v - make sure everything is tight.....anything loose ie, carb, needles, cooling head will contribute to your engine not wanting to run/start. also check the glow plug....nine times outta ten, its the glow plug.

boltech - im glad to see im not the only one shopping at RC Sports, i really like those guys and they are super helpful.

as far as rotary tools go, screw dremel, go buy a matrix. its canadian made, looks just like a dremel, works like a dremel, but its red and cost me $35 new at the flea market with acc.......granted the acc. are not that great, but stock dremel bits fit just fine. and it comes with a flex shaft, just like the dremel, for all the intricate work.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:55 AM

I got my "dremel" (not a real one) from Advance AutoParts for 25 bux with like 60pcs attachments....the quality isn't very great, but i don't use the thing 24/7 either.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:02 PM

Hey E.V check to see if your glow plug is screwed in tight. also try leaving the ignitor on the glow plug longer after its started.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:39 PM

capt - i have the same air filter as you do.....i havent used it cause i thought i was missing a part for a cap of the filter or something, but you say all you have to do is insert some foam into the middle....i will have to try this. i wonder why the hell they would sell something that is incomplete, or atleast included foam for the center piece....

my matrix rotary tool is a dremel....just has a different casing. and your right, its not like its getting used 24/7, so im sure it will last.

so i need to ask a question open to everyone for opinion: if i where to cut away a 5mm x 5mm square notch (as illustrated in the picture), would this effect my engine/pull start possibly? the reason i ask is that i want to drop my .15cxp from my smartech into a hpi rs4 3, but the problem is that the rear bulkhead interfers with the clearence on the pullstart case. i only ask because i would rather cut the cover vs. cutting up my hpi car. i have looked at the inside of the casing and it appears that it should work, but i would rather get the views/opinions of my peers......so whatcha guys think?

Name:	Sq47266.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	478908  
Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 PM

enjoymentboy - lasttime i looked at my stock carb on my smartech, it had three needles and worked just fine....alot better then the crap(srry, only word i could find to describe) that hpi supplies with their engines. and most of us use .15 size engines, not .12, but it might fit.......try it and let us know what you think....and yes the hpi carbs are crap, i have to continously screw around with the high speed needle and it has a idle screw....thats it, no low speed needle, and i find this really limits my ability to fully tune and bring out the engines real potential. three needle carbs should be stock on every engine. just my two cents.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Take a look at any of the OS 12 or 15 engines and you'll find that they all use the same carbs (within model range). The amount of air that a 15 needs over a 12 is so minimal. I use only the OS 10e carbs from 12CV's on the 15 CX engines and they are a HUGE improvement. I just thought this might be a good find for someone that is lookign to improve the single needle carb on their stock engine.

I'm not sure but I "think" that OS even uses the same carb on all their CVR engines (12, 15 and 18).

It's not so much the barrel size that makes the difference rather the improved engineering that they put into the whole carb.

Enjoymentboy
Old 06-17-2006, 04:14 PM
E_V

i kept my glow starter on the engine for a while longer......still died wen i took it off[]

then i drove around a bit with the glow stater on and it worked but wen i took the glow stater off it diedd agen[]

then i done the same but took the glow starter off wen the buggy was moving and it was working as long as it had throttle....wen i let go of the throttle the engine died[]

so i was thinkin could it by the fuel/air mixture? but still my hunch is tht it's the glow plug
Old 06-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Ok First off forget everything I said about using the somewhat fitting pins below. See the attached picture and you will see why
can anyone say Drop-in!

as for rotary tools mine is a mastercraft 250pc set. I picked it up at Canadaina Tire during christmas for $99.00 works real good. but cutting dogbones won't quash the smartech stereo type about not being able to find parts. but we are one drop in part closer thanks to HobbyHome. I'm actually enjoying looking for dropins.

ORIGINAL: boltech

Name:	Yw68453.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	478949  
Old 06-17-2006, 07:37 PM

to follow up... they are a perfect fit! now I don't have to worry about smoothing the rough ends of my cut dog bones. but I will eventually finish the ends and keep them as spares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.