Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

yeah dont brush paint your car, it looks got awful so far, im hoping further coats will mask brush strokes, the thinker areas lookok, but i imagine its much easier with spray paint. i might buy another body shell to do properly later, ill carry on with my tight arsed version for the moment.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:12 PM

The fishman returns! how's it going bud? Nice to see you didn't totally sell out and ditch the SMT.

ORIGINAL: fishy2k8

well yesterday i decided that my car had been deprived of the road for too long, been awhile, so i got it out... the new tires hadn't even seen the road. so i charged everything up and went outside.. to my surprise it didnt take too long for it to start up, however i could never seem to find the tune i used to have been i couldnt for the life of me get it to idle without bogging and shutting off for very long. the only way to get it to start was to give it a little gas and not let it idle too long. i played with the Low speed needle but couldnt find that "sweet" spot. it did run very well beside the idling. just wanted to update you guys, i haven't talked on here for awhile.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 PM

r20 I feel you pain. I've gotta put away the RC's for a while due to budget constraints. I have to put the disposable income towards getting perks for the house.

ORIGINAL: r20crazy

wow its been almost a year since I have been on here. due to life/other hobbies, and my 'real' car, I may finally have to let my smartech car go as I need an engine rebuild on my 'real' car. I'll keep you all posted and list the details/pics when the time comes. pics should be in this thread somewhere, most likely between pages 30-50. cr hasn't been used for almost a year, but was stored in my room wiht after-run oil in the engine. will also come with a box of parts, including deepdish rims and a set of drifting tires. stay tuned for details, as I'll give those here 1st crack at it b4 placing it on ebay or similar.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:42 PM
My Feedback: (4)

haha it's good to feel that someone missed me lol :-) ya i didnt sell it.. well no one wanted to buy it... so it had been in the closest since i moved... gunna find time to get it out again soon.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 AM

another quick question, im still waiting for good weather to bed my engine in, hopefully this afternoon. I have bought a failsafe as per earlier advice in this tread and some more glow plugs for spares and after bedding in.

I have the work car-park after 6pm when everyone leaves to bed it in.

earlier advice recommended replacing the transmitter, is it the transmitter thats crap or 27mhz in general anything recomended specifically.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM

am signal is subject to more interference than an fm unit, which can cause undesirable operations. the failsafe will help prevent these undesirable operations. I have never had a problem using my AM unit, but then again I go no farther than 20 ft from the transmitter to the car.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

i went with this-- FUTABA 2PH AM Radio w/ 3003 and 3010 servo Futj12 --all you have to do is copy it and go to ebay and paste, then do the search. I think it came from hobby hut.

if the stock system isn't giving you any problems you can get away with what you have for now. No point in fixing what isn't broke.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:42 PM

thanks for the transmiter info, stock one seems to be ok for the time being i havent the oportunity to go far yet, my bed in time got fubared, soon as work ended it started pissing it down, now i know puddles are no good for heating the engine up or bathing the electrics

Anyway got half a tank through on a drier patch to set the idle properly, its full close and still the car moves slightly but ill play with that more. anyway now my filler bottle has sheered at the lid, ******* cheap starter kit, back to LHS tomorrow, luck has it theres one like 1 mile from me up the road and so he says he can order most parts for me when i mentioned smartech.

www.leesesofbarlaston.co.uk

i drank in the pub dozens of times right across the canal from that place never saw what was right in fornt of me.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM

brand new out of the box rtr...and it just trys to go and now it wont even start....ugh im thinkin this was a waste...
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM

your lucky, I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest hobby shop for me is 6 hours away and being in Montana they have squat for selection. If it wasn't for ebay I would be screwed.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: miked1989

brand new out of the box rtr...and it just trys to go and now it wont even start....ugh im thinkin this was a waste...
did you break it in or just go balls to the wall?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM

mike, did you ever check the clutch spring. if your clutch is staying engaged the only way you'll be able to make it start is with the tires off the ground.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 PM

no. i took it out of the box, charged the glo plug put some fuel in it gettin it ready to be broken in, and pulled the starter and it just...well it just took off. there was no stearing or anything and yes before anyone says it, there were batteries in it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 AM

******* sodding british weather, its setup ready for bedding in now i just forcast thunder and raining untill Thursday. i need to setup the steering yet properly, it likes turning left more that it likes turning right. All this tinker time i'm getting its going to get a ehll of a run soon as i get a spot of dry car park.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: miked1989

no. i took it out of the box, charged the glo plug put some fuel in it gettin it ready to be broken in, and pulled the starter and it just...well it just took off. there was no stearing or anything and yes before anyone says it, there were batteries in it.
o.k. there's a few things your going to need to check out. First turn the radio and car on without starting it. All of this should be done without the car running. Adjust your steering and throttle trim to where the front tires are straight and the throttle servo rests against the carb but does not open it. Do you get any response? If there's no response at all check all your connections and make sure the remote and the car both have the crystals in them. Make sure your batteries are all getting a good connection. If you still get nothing for response out of it let me know. I have a couple stock radio systems sitting here that are still good. You pay for the shipping and I'll just let you have one of them.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM

ok i just did that and i get a responce...its just getting it started to where i can break it in. i just had some new nabiors move in and the one guy had alot of nitro cars so im guessing he might know what hes doin so im just gonna bring it over to him and have him work on it....thanks for all the help though.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM

has anyone changed the gearing in their smartech? If so what gears and clutch bell do you use?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM

ok, 2nd attempt dry weather to bed it in. My fuel started evapourating before it hit the carb, it was already running as rich as i could make it. actually leaned it off some and it started running ok again which was wierd.

anyway that didnt last long, cus soon as i did that it shot into a kerb and i lost a steering dogbone, 2 packets of them are now on order. lol so thatll be monday before i can even try again. next time on a bigger car park.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 AM

Whats the best place to buy Smartech parts in USA maybe close to northern California? PM me please with any info I would appreciate it............I have a customer who needs a fuel tank[]
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 PM

I always go through RC WORLD INTERNATIONAL on ebay. They say they are located in the U.S. but no exact location. Personally I've never had a problem with them and shipping times are good so far. I say so far because everyone makes a mistake sooner or later, but so far so good.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 PM

quick question-my car starts and idles fine when i start it but as soon as i take off the glow starter it dies. I've even left it on for about a min to let the engine warm up and it still dies as soon as i remove it. any ideas? thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

bad glow plug?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Idle stop screw is set too loose. If it dies when removing the glow starter, if you are able to idle and it dies when you give it throttle, open your needle valve about 1/4th a turn.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 PM

bs. if you take the igniter off and it dies, it is either to rich or to lean. nothing to do with glow plug. try leaning it out or making it more rich.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM

Any advice for running in hot weather? It's been around 100 here for two weeks. The only chance i get is right before dark or the engines seem to get way too hot. Cooler glow plug?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.