Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

Richen your high speed needle some sharkx, your overheating it.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:19 AM

yeah, too hot means too lean......therefore you must richen it. to do that i think you have to turn your main speed needle anti-clockwise.....but only like 1/16 of a turn at a time, thats what people recommend
Old 11-06-2004, 03:38 AM

Thanks forthe advice. I'll try some tuning this weekend and get back to you.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:48 AM

k np. btw could you let me know how your low speed needle is set? that would help me so much. and how did you break in your engine?
thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Just wanted to say HI to everyone here in RCU, especially those who owns Smartechs! I am pretty new to this nitro car scene. Finally got one after 6 years of wanting. Purchased a smartech on ebay last week and now in the process of breaking it in. Seems like a good car so far.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: o0lunatik

Just wanted to say HI to everyone here in RCU, especially those who owns Smartechs! I am pretty new to this nitro car scene. Finally got one after 6 years of wanting. Purchased a smartech on ebay last week and now in the process of breaking it in. Seems like a good car so far.

welcome to rc and smartech! which one did you get?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:21 PM

Does Smartech make 2 speed transmissions? I heard they're all 1 speed, is this true?

-Nick
Old 11-08-2004, 12:39 AM

when you buy them they are all i speed. you can purchase a 2 speed if you look hard enough! i know one place to get them.....
Old 11-08-2004, 06:16 AM

where might this be? I'm still debating wheater or not to put one in. Considering I would mostly be racing this car at the track, you rarely ever use 150ft or more in the open, so I would never click over to second gear.

I was going to put a .12 OS in it, but how would that improve my top speed, if I can't switch over to second gear?

Thanks,

-Nick
Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure my settings are either relevant or good, since I really messed up with them once, and then tried to fix'em. I have followed the advice from a previous post (main needle 3 turns out), and set the idle so that the opening is about 1mm wide (this is what the book says); then I set the third needle (the one on the rotary part) to two turns out.

I then tried to achieve a constant RPM when idle (by listening to the sound of the engine; one of my previous vehicles - real automobile, not RC - was fitted with a carburetor and I used to fix it myself, so I'm used to this a little bit); I think the goal is to keep the RPM as low as possible without stalling.

Next, I tried to adjust the third needle, so that the car will accelerate as fast as possible when going full throttle.

The main needle seems to be positioned right at three turns out, since the engine is no longer overheatins.

I don't have the car nearby (I'm in the office right now), but I'll note down the exact settings I'm using right now, and post them ASAP.

Also, I have noticed some drawbacks of the Winner Sport (after a couple of driving sessions) : first, the screws of the buffer fitting unit (part #182 on the Smartech diagram) are constantly getting un-screwed and I've lost a couple. Second, the damper springs seem way too soft, since they seem to lack the power to push back up the car. And finally, the clutch inside the 2 speed transmission always gets loose and must be fastened constantly (luckily, this can be done without taking it out)

The worst part is that I crashed the car into a sidewalk; frontal collision at full speed; the parts broken were the buffer fitting unit (part #182 on the exploded view, and #11439 in the catalog), and, believe it or not, the fuel tank (part #34039/#11303). Maybe this info will help you guys get some spares in advance, to avoid waiting for then after a crash.

Well... so much for now; I hope I haven't bored anyone with so much writing [8D]
Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 AM

Allow me to disagree... I have bought a 'Winner Sport', and it came with a 2 speed transmission. It looks like the 'Speedy Tiger' has only one speed, though. And from what I've seen on the net, the 'Winner Pro' is also equipped with a 2 speed transmission, as opposed to the 'Commando', with one speed transmission.

But it looks like the two speed transmission has some problems (see my other post).
Old 11-08-2004, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: rctamiyafan77

k np. btw could you let me know how your low speed needle is set? that would help me so much. and how did you break in your engine?
thanks
... about the break in ... I just did what the manual says; I got a 30% oil fuel, and ran about 8 tanks (I had 1 litre of fuel and wanted to finish it up). I didn't touch the needles, though; I'm not sure if this bad or very bad, but the engine runs fine so far.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM

i have the commando. two of them actually. does anyone know the glow plug size needed for our engines?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: o0lunatik

i have the commando. two of them actually. does anyone know the glow plug size needed for our engines?
Sorry, no idea. But I'd like to find out, too.
The part list I have says 'glow plug no. 3', nothing more ...
Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 PM

i did find it, its size 3, lol just likeu said
Old 11-09-2004, 12:53 AM

thats an os plug right? i think most plugs will fit....as they are a standard size
Old 11-09-2004, 01:08 AM

thanks for your time sharkx.
i will be trying to tune my car soon, but i am still waiting for my temp guage, should hlp me loads. and i better hurry up cause right now the temperature outside is at 0°C!

and for those of you who want to buy a 2 speed....the one place i know to get them from is off this guy in australia. he is an ebay seller user name: slotcar57
please let me know if anyone knows another place to pruchase them, or has another one to sell to me

hope that helps (helps me too!)
Old 11-09-2004, 03:45 AM

and for those of you who want to buy a 2 speed....the one place i know to get them from is off this guy in australia. he is an ebay seller user name: slotcar57
please let me know if anyone knows another place to pruchase them, or has another one to sell to me
I got mine from Hong Kong, from RCMart (www.rcmart.com). They're ok. I had several packages from them, and had no problems so far.

I just checked eBay. The guy sells only the transmission; I thought you were talking about complete cars. Sorry for the confusion.

But I think you can find these on www.rcmart.com, too; for instance the transmission assembly (complete with brake) can be found at : http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=7911. They had the clutch bell, too, but it's out of stock for the moment. And it looks like it's a little bit cheaper.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:20 AM

i got he 2 speed from slotcar57

works well and gave the car a huge speed boost.

all you have to do is file a little bit of the chassis.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 AM

thanks for your time sharkx.
i will be trying to tune my car soon, but i am still waiting for my temp guage, should hlp me loads. and i better hurry up cause right now the temperature outside is at 0°C!
Sorry, but I forgot to check the needle positions last night. But I'm not so sure that they will be identical for two different engines; for sure, they can't be a full turn apart, but they might be different,
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM

I have another quick issue : when running on asphalt, my tires got wasted very quickly, as opposed to driving on dust, so I think some monster truck tires might be interesting (being larger in diameter, the car should go faster, too [sm=devious.gif] ).

Had anyone tried this before ?

Thanx for posting opinions.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Got another one ...
Since I broke the fuel tank, and I cannot wait for a new one to get through mail, I tried to glue it. But it doesn't work; I've tried epoxy and superglue-type.

Does anyone have any idea what material the tank is made of ? This could help me find the proper glue.

Thanx.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:45 PM

oh yeah sorry for that, i meant the transmission......

so yeah, so far only one place to get them seperately cause i havent seen them on rcmart.com yet.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:11 PM

i'm glad to hear that as i was planning on getting one from him!

btw, what is filing, and how do you do it? does it require any tools? thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 PM

thats true, should go faster....but your acceleration will be reduced....and no i have never tried. i'll do it soon tho, once i get my engine sorted. i got my temp gauge today

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.