Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

Hi Fishy...yeah you'll have to retune. The colder the air is the denser it is meaning the more oxygen it has for a given volume. When you go down in air temp you need to add fuel (richer) and when the air temps go up you need to go leaner. That's generally why engines will produce their best power early in the morning and seem to slow down at lunchtime.

So clockwise to go leaner and counterclockwise to go richer. You shouldn't really need to go too far though...1/2 turn at best.

Don't tune to a specific engine temp. Tune for performance. Get it running well and then back it off by 1/16 turn and you should be golden.

Enjoymentboy
Old 04-20-2006, 08:18 AM

From day 1, I have not changed any settings on my tune for my SMT...I am still running the original glowplug....
I am pleased with it...I run it hard as hell as you can see from my videos and it takes it.

*The weather dosen't change much here in Florida....HOT - 100% of the time.....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM

LOL... up here in the great white north needle adjustment are pretty much a way of life. it can be hot one day and chilly the next.
even more so for me since I live in the snow belt region

ORIGINAL: imn0tnorml

From day 1, I have not changed any settings on my tune for my SMT...I am still running the original glowplug....
I am pleased with it...I run it hard as hell as you can see from my videos and it takes it.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Kol

I changed my settings yesterday. I leaned out the LSN a good bit which made a good difference to the acceleration from a standstill. Idles nicely too. Tho I find that setting the opening on the carb to around 1mm gives the best idle for me. Anything bigger and the idle speed is too high.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Funeral has been dealt with... stupid RAZR pics are too shoddy to even post, I'm disgusted with the quality of the pics, I'm stealing my sister's webcam to take pictures tonight, it has MUCH better resolution. Sorry fishy, the diffuser ended up looking like one big blob on the pics, you can't even see the front splitter or the detail on the exhaust extension...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM

okay guys this is for those of you (especially my friend fishy) who want a disposable, yet durable exhaust extension, this EXACTLY what I'm using right now. All rights reserved for the pen manufacturer, Blah blah blah... insert legal jargon here for Papermate... no right reserved by Captain Nifty, please copy this design and reuse as you please...

This material handles good under heat, and its easy to clean and you can pop it on, and pop it off AND YOUR EXHAUST sounds mighty fine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34557.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	448299  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 AM

I epoxy'd my brass extension on last night...it's adding about 1.5 inches to the short exhaust.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM

ick... I know that feeling. I find myself doing an ever so slight retune every time the temperature swings by about 10 deg C.
ORIGINAL: boltech

LOL... up here in the great white north needle adjustment are pretty much a way of life. it can be hot one day and chilly the next.
even more so for me since I live in the snow belt region

Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM

just be careful to brace the assembly... I've heard about the stingers breaking under certain loads... its something I worry about too every time i slide on the exhaust side or come close to a curb on the exhaust side once you do have it running, I would like to know hows it working out for you performance wise... it must sound awesome

I epoxy'd my brass extension on last night...it's adding about 1.5 inches to the short exhaust.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM

Has anyone ever seen what appears to be metal flakes all around the engine and carb after running their SMT? I'm wondering if this is a sign the flywheel/clutch/whatever is getting ready to go....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM

I have seen this before on machines with aluminum clutches, its not a good sign at all. Double check the tolerances for the flywheel and check the clutch... also before anything actually, check the bottom of your chassis, the flakes could come from the aluminum lower chassis plate rubbing off everytime it hits something abrasive. The engine turns into a magnet for these things as over time certain metals become magnetized after rubbing metal on metal... that being said, this would be a good time to check lube viscosity in the engine as well.

Has anyone ever seen what appears to be metal flakes all around the engine and carb after running their SMT? I'm wondering if this is a sign the flywheel/clutch/whatever is getting ready to go....
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (4)

thanks captain nifty, good idea, however i think that i will try and get my new copper one to stay on, but if it fails again then i will be trying yours out! my parts havent come yet unfortunately [:@] i got a $10 off $50 from towers today so im planning my next purchase. i think after i get my paycheck from some graphics work i did for my dad ($75) i will be getting a traxxas tuned pipe, the hpi header, the exhuast couplings, fuel tubing, and that duratax air filter. and i think thats it.
this is the traxxis tuned pipe: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAG4085&P=K
Old 04-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Here is my copper extension...I'm sure if I hit it hard enough, it'll fall off, but it will keep the extra oil off the body and the rear tire..
I'm in the process of wiring the LED's up...my cold heat is broke now..(It's no longer that good). I'm using my "good-ol" Craftsman soldering gun. * Bulky, but it does the trick. *
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16585.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	448654  
Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: fishy2k8

thanks captain nifty, good idea, however i think that i will try and get my new copper one to stay on, but if it fails again then i will be trying yours out! my parts havent come yet unfortunately [:@] i got a $10 off $50 from towers today so im planning my next purchase. i think after i get my paycheck from some graphics work i did for my dad ($75) i will be getting a traxxas tuned pipe, the hpi header, the exhuast couplings, fuel tubing, and that duratax air filter. and i think thats it.
this is the traxxis tuned pipe: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAG4085&P=K
Do they say how long the shipping will take? Is there any type of tracking number provided? I'm just asking because when I have to order parts, I want to get them from a reliable place.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 AM

Tower hobbies is about as relieble as you can get in this industry, they have justa bout everything and offer many discounts.. They are a huge company, unlike most of these other mail order parts houses..

Good Luck
Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 AM

Kol, I orderered that bearing set a few months ago and never got them. I'm in the US though.World Hobby sent me several e-mails saying they would ship them,but never did. I got a refund thru Paypal. I ordered my bearing from RCBoyz,on Ebay.They sell them per piece so you can order as many as you want.I think I had around 23$ US in shipping and all.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (4)

its not really that its taking a long time, i just want them to come now.. lol.. im sure they will be on schedule, it hasnt been more than the time they said it would take. sorry for the wrong impression on them... ill let you know when they get here! they do provide a tracking number, i guess im just impatient lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Kol

Thanks I'll keep a close eye on them. I'll check out RCBoyz too just in case!!

ORIGINAL: yobin67

Kol, I orderered that bearing set a few months ago and never got them. I'm in the US though.World Hobby sent me several e-mails saying they would ship them,but never did. I got a refund thru Paypal. I ordered my bearing from RCBoyz,on Ebay.They sell them per piece so you can order as many as you want.I think I had around 23$ US in shipping and all.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:12 PM

hey everyone,
i have a Smartech Winner Speed which is a buggy, but i think their is a car with the same chassis .well i plan on puting a TRX 3.3 into my Smartech which has a 2 speed, so i was wondering is their anything i can do to the drivetrain to take all the power?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 04:57 PM

hi all... i have a smartech winner sport... or thats as close to what i can find that is like it... it has the 2 speed transmission that is the same anyway... the thing wont turn the tires... it turns from the engine... but the gears in the middle that connect to the driveline just spin... i took it apart and have no idea how it works... so i thought yall could help
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Kol

Do the shafts coming out of the transmission spin at all??

ORIGINAL: jwillburn119

hi all... i have a smartech winner sport... or thats as close to what i can find that is like it... it has the 2 speed transmission that is the same anyway... the thing wont turn the tires... it turns from the engine... but the gears in the middle that connect to the driveline just spin... i took it apart and have no idea how it works... so i thought yall could help
Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Kol

You should roll the car along the ground to see if the transmission moves when the car is rolling. If not then the differentials in the front and rear are broke???? (unlikely that both would be broke tho). There is a clutch assy in the two sped tranny. That might not be engaging. I think that the car should at least move with first gear without the clutch tho???
Old 04-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Kol

I have a question now.

What oils are people using for their air filters?? Is there any oil that is suitable that can be bought in a hardware shop instead of having to pay ridiculous prices for a thimble full of "special oil"?? Maybe the guys in the UK would be able to help on this one??

On a different note. I got some Byron 15% nitro/16% oil nitro ful the other day and it works great in the car. It's give a very aromatic exhaust fumes!! lol
Old 04-22-2006, 06:53 PM
E_V

i use thin organ oil LOL..............i just found it around the house......felt it.........was thin (unlike vege oil.....tried vege oil- it clogs the sponge)........i heard WD$) works as well..........just spray it generously....squash out excess WD40 off sponge......and it works

these oils and methods are wht i have tried................my engine works great and my air filter gets brown/grey so quick so it seems to be doing it's job.............however i know it mite not b a cleva idea........so if any1 here know it's wrong or it damages the engine etc just post it but i'm sure it don't
Old 04-22-2006, 08:31 PM

yeah everything turns... its definately not engaging... i dont quite understand how the clutch in there works... but everything spins on the groung when i roll it, shafts, gears and everything... its not grabbing to turn the motor, but when i took it apart, there isnt really any mechanism that i can see that would engage the wheels... so i dont see how it works... is there supposed to be linear play (front to back) in the plastic gears in the "clutch pack"???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.