Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NTC3 v. N4-TEC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
qube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTC3 v. N4-TEC

Which one would u choose and why? Iwould choose the 4-tec simply because it goes faster rtr. I've hear the NTC3 has much better handling but for about $5 more, i could buy sway bars to have better handling. Please reply and explain yourself. Im asking to do this because i would like to buy a N4-tec but if there are any other rtr's out there, please, let me know. Thank you n advace.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:21 AM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: NTC3 v. N4-TEC

You won't get a 4-tec to handle better than a ntc3. I prefer the ntc3 myself.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Saboteur10573

Just buying sway bars won't help. The AE has more adjustable suspension compared to the Trx N4tec so there is more infinite tuning. It's faster yes, but honestly I'd rather have the NTC3 RTR Plus. Clean chassis, easy to work on, more tuning options, tools out of the box, capable of going 50mph+. May not be 60mph, but hey it's still close and fast enough. I always choose performance over speed. Not sure if you do the same, but that's me. [8D]
Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
dmatko

unless your dragging your car down a straight, dont waste your time buying a faster car. speed means nothing if you cant control it. i have no experience with the 4-tec, but i do know that the ntc3+ is more than fast enough out of the box. everyone always wants more speed, and i was in the same boat. after getting one of these lil cars, you realize that speed, comes second to handling. ive broken quite a few parts because of the speed factor involved. im just now startin to work on the handling aspect of the car. g/l with whatever you end up getting.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:55 AM
hiryu

Simple, NTC3.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:35 AM
Boss290

Very simple! NTC3+!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:23 AM
gosha

I second that.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 PM
nitro maniac

i third that
Old 03-15-2005, 05:12 PM
thumpin347
My Feedback: (1)

depends what you want...all these guys on this board claim to be racers...i call them "internet racers" and theres a bunch lurking on every board, including the mustang/street racing forums i post on.

all depends on what kinda car you are looking for. sheer speed and price, the 4-tec is the clear choice. if you are looking for something to be competitive on tracks, the TC-3 is what you'll want.

lets face it, not everyone wants a car that'll outmaneuver another. same goes for the other forums i post on...people want a new suspension set up on their stangs...you get replys for koni double adjustables with 4 link rears, 2" drop, sway bars, etc...and you get people who suggest lakewood drag struts n shocks, removing the front sway bar, subframes, and control arms, with an airbag under the right rear axle...its all about what application you intend to be a part of.

you can have the best handling car, but if you dont have the skills, what good will it do you...especially when you just plan on flying around an open road or parking lot and not worrying about chicanes, S-turns, and carousels.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
webwiz2600

I bought a NTC3+ 4 days ago and it is PLENTY fast for what you could use it for and it handles quite impressivly. The way the traxxas acheives it's higher top speed is in gearing. You can gear your tc3 vary similarly if you don't have enought top end. My vote is for the ntc3 because I've driven and friends 4-tec and wasn't impressed, plus there are so many other things to buy.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:26 PM
mhood

i have yet to drive a ntc-3 but am very happy with my n4-tec. after some larger tires and wheels, which also helped top speed, it handles pretty good compared to out of the box. it will even lift a front tire in a tight turn and if the turn is hard enough and you dont lift off the throttle enough, when the tires bite, it will roll over. i am not a racer, just having fun.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 PM
ace_vwtech

what does the local hobby shop carry parts for ? you are looking at rtrs so you probably arent looking to race brian kinwald or josh cyrul yet so buy what you can get parts for localy and what you can get support locally for. The most important thing is having fun and learning how to fix it and tune it, then after that when you figure out that this change makes that result and so on. Also work on driving the car, not just fast in a straight line thats fun but theres more learn how to use the throttle brakes and steering set up a couple of coners out of well almost anything that doesnt hide the car, soda bottles with a small amont of water in them cones etc and work on handleing the car.Most important, have fun though
Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
iacolb12

Good points. But, part of honing one's driving skills it having a car that responds well to you input. Either from adjustments to the car or your style. The better a car handles out of the box and the better the range of adjustment of the car, the better a driver will be. So from the "racer's" standpoint you can't lose with a better car.

I bought an NTC3+ when I started. I studied and pondered between the NTC3+, 4-TEC and RS4. I wanted to race from the start, on a budget. After meeting some guys who had had the three and seeing what the local LHS's carried parts for, it was hands down that the NTC3 was the RTR choice.

If you're 100% sure you won't race then get what you want. If your LHS doesn't carry the parts, ask them if they will or be ready for days of down-time.

If you do want to race, then get the NTC3+. The 4-tec handles like a sack of wheat and will cost an arm an a leg to make it competitive.

In then end some guys only care about speed. They don't want to race and that's just fine. If there wasn't a group like that, then there wouldn't be the CEN's, 4-Tec's and Shumacher's of the RC world. The golden rule of RC is to have fun.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
ace_vwtech

I agree but you also dont learn to drive waiting for parts, that tends to discourage alot of people from r/c in genral I also agree that the 4 tec isnt the best handleing car around but it really teaches throttle control on any track improvised or pro. if you put decent tires on it after wearing out the stockers in the street it handles good if you learn to slow down , I will run mine rich when teaching people how to drive and i dont worry about the car getting broken cuse i know its tough, wich costs precision i know but it really comes down to what does he want to do, if its race see what other people are racing in that area most racers will make time for a few questions, also see where they are getting the cars and parts if it is just fooling around in a parking lot for now id say 4 tec cuse traxxas parts are sold everywhere thanks to the tmaxx. it is impossible to drive an r/c car or truck for any amount of time and not need a part, and yes at first it will seem hard to work on any car but it gets easy and that easy start is nice to have too (yes it adds weight) so in closeing like has been said before HAVE FUN...and dont run the engine in closed spaces lol
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 PM
ace_vwtech

hey i got a question for you tc3 guys what is adjustable on the tc3 that isnt on the 4tec?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:49 PM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

You can adjust both cars basically the same way, it's just that the TC3 has more of the adjustments then the 4-tec has. If you do get the 4-tec stock up on the rear axle hubs they brake really easy, and I don't mean 1 or 2 extra sets get at least 4. Myself I have a NTC3 but that's just me, I know this family that drive's only rtr 4-tec's, and they seem to handle pretty good on the track that we race at which has a lot of turns on it.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 PM
ace_vwtech

I just wanted to see what people would say, and as far as rear hub carriers i havent broken any and i am pretty hard on it( 70 mph rolls and flips) and i also do jumps with it when hanging out with the truck guys the only things i have trouble with are rear belts (maybe fixed after the lhs got the wide belt in) and tires and thats mostly from me drifting it. now i changed the setup on it from really, really loose to neutral, mainly to show someone else with a 4 tec how to do it and so they can see it before making the changes (some things arent easy to get to on the 4 tec) I think i have reached the end of the 4 tec speed limits though since the biggest problem is the lack of gears available for it i have found that body choice is important though mine blows over on cars with bad front downforce, maybe ill put a splitter on it
Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Knoc
Banned

Dont waste your time or money on a 4tec.. They suck. I bought one when I first got into Rc, and when I think of all the time, and money I spent with that POS it just makes me sick. If I still had that car today, I would use it as a ramp for the savage. Luckily it got stolen.. And Im the one who feels guilty..lol
Old 04-23-2005, 10:44 AM
mhood

what all went wrong with it? i have had tons of fun with mine
ORIGINAL: Knoc

Dont waste your time or money on a 4tec.. They suck. I bought one when I first got into Rc, and when I think of all the time, and money I spent with that POS it just makes me sick. If I still had that car today, I would use it as a ramp for the savage. Luckily it got stolen.. And Im the one who feels guilty..lol
Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM
leejax02
My Feedback: (1)

I have had both the ntc3 and 4-tec and I remember the 4-tec taking a long time to get there due to the gearing being high and the ntc3 being easier to control at high speeds because it has ball-bearing differentials instead of gear diffs like the 4-tec. With the Associated 2-speed, it was faster than the 4tec and got up to speed a lot quicker. Steering was more responsive on the ntc3 and it kept better traction. You can also work on the ntc3 more easily and it is a better constructed car. I have had about 3 4tecs and 1 ntc3 and I definitely advise on the ntc3. The 4tec is at best O.K. and I had lots of hop ups. The ntc3 sticks better to the road than the 4tec. This is from experience...get the ntc3
Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
ace_vwtech

well as far as speed and getting there ill run my 4tec anytime, and yes it is harder to work on to a point but it also has more ground clearance wich helps on less then perfect parking lots , but now if i took my engine and put it in a tc3 with a two speed then i could tell you if it stayed together with me driving it, my 4tec had been slaped into curbs flipped etc. tires bodies and a couple of rear belts (they made them wider and i havent changed a wide one yet) is all i have changed so if somebody wanted to loan me a tc3 for some testing ill tryit lol. really they are both ok at some things and not so good at others like everything else a comprimise. this debate will go on forever ,but will anyone race a 4 tec on a national level and win probably not, will you learn to drive fix and tune a car yes and on my last check the 4tec has more roll center and camber gain adjustments then a tc3 does it mean the car is better no i guess ill buy another car eventually but out of all the cars i have owned (over 22 years)the 4tec is durable and fast so I like it, however i havent seen a bad product from associated, well maybe the aluminum kit for the 18t what were they thinkin with that price? more then the truck ready to run! but the stuff looks cool, and yes the tc3 (plus also) is a good car and the black crowd pleaser body looks awsome with the chrome wheels and the stock 4tec body looks like poop (they really need to fix that) but original bodies last a few runs then the body bug bites ya and then you have a garage full of bodies, but thats another story
Old 05-29-2005, 11:22 PM
popa71

It all depends on what your looking for I used to have an RS4 racer 2 and it was set up very nice. My problem was I sucked on the track. I run monster trucks much better on the track.In my area we run on road cars in parking lots . Drag racing is my preference. so I run the 4-Tec. Its alot faster than the NTC3 and less expensive. If you plan on racing on the track get the NTC3, if you plan on getting some speed thrills get the 4-tec.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
monitroplease

I plan on getting a tc3 +, and have been use to the ez-start. Does this motor start easily?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Gordie

go with the NTC3, its a solid car i have one and i dont race but its pretty good for just screwing around with friends too and i plan to start racing tho soon
Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 PM
hpisavage28

the pullstrat on the stock motor on the ntc3 is fine. u dont need that ezstart bullcrap. the 4 tec does not go 60+ out of the box. I raced my frend and i beat him with my stock ntc3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.