Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

PRP XR/80 is this 2 good 2B true ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

PRP XR/80 is this 2 good 2B true ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:33 PM
spazzyfry123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PRP XR/80 is this 2 good 2B true ?

I say you grab a XR8 for racing and get the XR/80 for messing around. http://www.larrysperformancercs.com/ That's the cheapest I've found them...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:13 PM
R40Victim

The Katana RX looks pretty cool. It would be interesting to see it go on and off the pavement...
Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
blaze242

ok xr80 owners im really looking into buying this car please let me know of any problems youve had with the car..major or minor..
Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM
trackman

yeah blaze me too.ive been running 1/8 scale off road for many years and now have
the need for onroad speed. RC_CAR mag has a test and review of the xr80.
i want someone to tell me is as good as they say it is.
seems like a killer price!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

yeah, really i wanna know too....does it really do about 80? thats way fast for a stock RTR..i bet it needs a football field to get up there (but if it did'nt that would be great!)
Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
SqueedilySpooch

invest on ur foam tires cause in 1/8 scale thats the most changed part...Aside from that i like hte 962's better than the lola's. really i would get the kit version i think its better than the rtr version. However if money is a prime concern then the rtr will do fine for the some people. Racing.. i doubt it will fair as well as a mugen or serpent as well..it hasnt seen any champoinship wins or major ones at least. If u want to really through ur wallet out get an smp slide WOOOO 800-900 bucks kit version thats about 1600 to get started with one of those wow
Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 PM
gsc71

I just picked up a XR80...As soon as I set up the radio gear and run it I'll post my opinions.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:01 PM
SqueedilySpooch

the kits are supposed to be better depending on what stuff u get for it GL.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:00 PM
va_connoisseur

Does any one have the company's website? I would like to see what they have won and some of their other products. Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 06:02 PM
gsc71

www.powerracingrc.com
Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 PM
trackman

well GSC, is it running yet? my money is burning a hole in my pocket.
but ill wait to here if you think its worth it.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
gsc71

REDICULOUSLY FAST!!! I'm still giggling like a school girl!! This thing screams!! Even a fairly clean parking lot is very hard on those big foam tires. Got a couple of good passes after adjusting the brakes. (I really wish it had front brakes) Even the biggest lot seems small for this car. God help me if it ever gets into second gear!!
The parking lot where I run (its a pretty large lot)... I set up in the middle, would start out appling gradual throttle down by the entrance trying to get traction until it would stay straight, hit full throttle just before it passed me and right where you hear the rpm level off where it should have shifted into second, I have to get on the brakes to make sure it slows down before the curb at the other end. I need to adjust the shift point down a little so that it will get into second gear sooner if ever. Definatley way too much for "in front of your house" type running. It will take a little time to get used to "driving" where you can actually use the car. ABS or at least mild EPA adjustments are really necessary to get usable braking from it. It may benefit from different tires also...but it depends on what type of surface you plan on running it on. This will surely satisfy most "need for speed" cravings for a while. The motor and suspension is sure to loosen up a bit after some more run time and it should end up even faster.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
va_connoisseur

OK. I am looking to get into on-road racing, and the price of these cars is quite attractive, but I have to ask, how does it handle? I mean, have you run it thru a circuit/course or just full speed blasts down a parking lot? I have been saving up for a Mugen, because I hear they are the best handling on-road 1/8 scale cars. I have also been looking at the HPI Proceed. This PRP cost less then the chassis for either of these cars, so it's has piqued my interest.

So let us know, do you race? If so, how competitive is this car? Is it strictly for bashing (which is cool) or can I put it on the track and hang with the big dogs (Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho and HPI)? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
trackman

alright gsc now youve done it. i gotta have one. i want to see just how fast it is.
i doubt that i will do the race thing,just mainly bashing and lots of speed. if you pick up
any tips or secrets along the way that might help the set-up let me know.
its a good enough price to hook me and i think it quality enough to work with
to get the handling where it should be. keep us updated on how its doing.

REDICULOUSLY FAST!!!
thats what got me.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
gsc71

Keep in mind that I ran it in a parking lot not a prepped track surface, so handling was not that great. The brakes need to be set to just drag slightly when applied (EPA limiting travel) otherwise they just lock up and the car slides. A softer front tire with a little different set up in the front would help keep the car from understeering (pushing) through the turns. I would suggest changing tires to suit the surface you run on and that will make a huge difference in how it handles. I've already ordered a new set of tires with a softer compound than what comes stock with the RTR version.

If you compare the XR8 (race version with all the hop ups already installed, no engine or electronics) the price is still very good, around $400.00 vs. the Mugen or Serpent which are going around $650.00

I compared both the XR80 and the Mugen MRX4 side by side and they are nearly identical in construction right down to the shape, size and design of most of the components. I think it could be a very competitive car. I don't plan on really racing mine, maybe in a sportsman class or club race, but mostly I got it for parking lot thrills. With that being said, a less expensive RTR (I upgraded the elctronics/ put in my own Tx and Rx) suits me better than a $650.00 rolling race chassis.

If you add that up...
Rolling chassis about........ $650.00
+ good race motor.....min. $350.00
+ good pipe.............around $80.00
+ anywhere from $40- $60 for a body
+ good transmitter......... $300-$400
+ $$ for servos

You can get up to $1200.00- $1400.00 pretty quickly depending on the equipment you set the car up with. Thats a serious investment.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 AM
trackman

thanks for the info gsc. like you i will be doing the parking lot thing. we race 1/8 buggys every weekend
and i just want something a little different.maybe some clean speed for a change,or cleaner than im
used to.the closest ive come to onroad was pan cars about 10 yrs ago. this should be a challenge
in it self. looking forward to having some fun.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
va_connoisseur

Hey TrackMan, just noticed that you are in the Old Dominion as well. I'll up the road in Northern VA. Are there many on-road venues in your area? The closest one we have is in Richmond (VORRA). I have been to that track a few times. Everyone runs Mugen/Serpents. I really want to take an XR/80 out there an put it to some of the guys that spent a mint on their rigs. Where do you race off-road?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
trackman

no theres nothing on-road around here. i guess richmond is the closest to me. i havent messed with onroad before.
i got hooked on 1/8 buggys several years ago and been wide open ever since. we have a track behind my house
and another track in greene co about 15 min from my house. im just off rt 29 about 1 mile from the
chville-albemarle airport. i just thought the xr80 would be fun and different from what im used to.
i dont even know of anyone with on-road cars around here.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
va_connoisseur

That's cool that you have your own track. There are no off-road tracks here in NoVA. I have a T-Maxx that I just bash around on the weekends on construction sites...lol. I will be getting a XR/80 by the end of the year. That way by next season I should have enough practice under my belt
Old 09-09-2005, 05:44 AM
trackman

hey va con, look on regional racer forum chville thread page 45. there are some pics of the track that were taken
a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
va_connoisseur

That track is really nice. When I get the T-Maxx put back together (upgrading to RPM arms and a few other things.) I will have to take a spin with you guys.

Back to the reason for the tread, the XR/80, I was in Barnes and Nobles last night and picked up the lastest copy of R/C car magazine, they have a sweet review of the car. And it's a definate not, I will be picking one up this winter. For those of you that have the PRP car, what motors have you installed? The club racing that I want to join only allow .21 BB, so I will need to change the motor on the XR/80. I am looking at one of the OS engines, I believe they have a .21 turbo? Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
gsc71

If you plan on racing why not go w/ the XR8 instead?? You get a better clutch and the CF upgrades for 399.00 especially if you are going to buy a .21 anyway.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 AM
va_connoisseur

I am really leaning towards the XR8 and an OS .21 engine. I plan on updating my electronics for my T-Maxx to the JR XS3 radio, it has multi-model memory so it will work well in the XR8. Although since the Airtronics M11 came out, the M8s have been showing up on eBay for some great prices. I would not mind getting my hands on one of those, especially since they have the ABS feature.

Does anyone have know how the PRP team fared at the World 1/8 championships? Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Bank and Yank
My Feedback: (3)

Wow this car might have to be my next purchase. I was leaning towards a rock crawler but I like this thing a lot. MY NTC3 might collect some dust if I get this thing.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
gsc71

I have a M8 set up w/ mine and even if you don't use the ABS feature you can really set up the car well. Both cars come with a front one-way bearing. This makes braking very difficult because the car wants to spinout when the brakes grab. Use the EPA on your Tx to adjust the brakes so that they just drag when fully applied, this way the brakes won't lock up and spin the car around. You can play with the amount of drag until you get decent braking without losing control. Then the ABS can fine tune it even further from that point on.

To help the car feel less twitchy, I aslo set up the throttle with a slight delay so that it applies gradually to full throttle. This really helps out with initial wheelspin and trying to track a straight line until a higher speed is reached.

Which OS .21 are you looking into??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.