cab41610

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaft Drive v. Belt Drive

Which is better and why, shaft drive or belt drive for on road car racing
Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Boss290

Default RE: Shaft Drive v. Belt Drive

This question has been asked around 1000 times before!!! Both have advantages and disadvantages but not to the extent that everyone makes it out to be. Buy whatever you like, not what someone else likes!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:19 AM
yoclick

Well since my front drive belt screwed up after driving on tarmac which only a few tiny stones around, im thinking of shaft driven for my next car.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Josh222

Belt drive has no torque steer and is very smooth and for a track car it is great becuase there are no rocks on a track
Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Nitroaddict

There are many advantages and disadvantages for both. As mentioned above, this has been discussed at length in many places throughout this forum. Please use the search function to read what others think. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
spazzyfry123

I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted to say that your signature is pretty cool, Nitroaddict. "Harshing your mellow since 1973"
Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you maintain your car properly and dont take it off-road, there is very little difference in performance/reliabilily of shaft or belt driven cars.

Saying that, most top level racers use belt drive.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:13 PM
cossie

shaft adv = better accleration and top speed, less friction
shaft dis = heavier car, torque steer, less braking power

belt adv = lighter car, cheaper to replace belts than a shaft,
belt diss = belts break easily, slip when using crazy motor, more fricton (because of several contact points)

thats about all i can think of lol
Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
reallllyfast

it depends what u use if for, right now i prefer a shaft drive cause of durability, butif i was a pro racer then belt drive would be the way to go . I dont really race on a competitive level , so i think its just that persons preference
Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Boss290

Sorry dude but that is a crock of shyte!
ORIGINAL: cossie

shaft adv = better accleration and top speed, less friction
-This can not be proven! If you look at the IFMAR world championships in Brazil, the Kyosho guys (winners) had more acceleration and top speed from the RRR (belt drive) than the FW-05R(shaft drive). Acceleration and top speed is not determined by belts or shafts, rather by things such as clutch set-up, pipe, engine, gearing, weight, etc
Myth 1 busted
shaft dis = heavier car, torque steer, less braking power
-What a huge generalisation. A FT NTC3(shaft) weighs less than most belt drive cars on the market!. As for torque steer, i can unleash my V12 Rody via a power clutch out of a corner or down the straight and it doesn't deviate off line.
I also dont know how you can come to the conclusion that shaft cars cannot brake as well. My FT NTC3 actually out-brakes my V one RRR and G4.
Myth 2 busted!

belt adv = lighter car, cheaper to replace belts than a shaft,
-Belts break much more often than shafts so it might actually cost you more !
Myth 3 busted.
belt diss = belts break easily, slip when using crazy motor, more fricton (because of several contact points)
-8 out of 8 cars in the Nitro A final of the IFMAR worlds were running belt drive cars. 6 Kyoshos and 2 serpents! Im sure being a world championship event, they guys would have been using nothing less that 'CRAZY' motors and i dont think they experienced any belt slippage.
Myth 4 busted!
thats about all i can think of lol
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 AM
cossie

well due to the fact i kicked my mates butt when both using the same batterys and motors and gearing but he was usin belt and i was using shaft proves that shafts have better accleration and top end, and the belts accleration and top end was slowed down by the friction built up by the many contact points
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cossie

well due to the fact i kicked my mates butt when both using the same batterys and motors and gearing but he was usin belt and i was using shaft proves that shafts have better accleration and top end, and the belts accleration and top end was slowed down by the friction built up by the many contact points
That does not prove that shaft driven cars have better acceleration and top end than belt driven cars, it just proves that YOUR shaft driven car was faster than HIS belt driven car on the day. There are many other factors which could have contributed to your success.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
cardriverx

first of all as for belt breakage, I've had my rs4 1 for 4 years now, about 2 years with the 12rss motor, and I have yet to break a belt.

like snow blind said there are many other factors, like you might have better driving skill then him. both kinds of cars are great, don't let whether the car is belt or shaft change your decision on what car you are going to get.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:14 AM
cossie

we drag raced them not around a track we both went on go 2gether and if anything his car was a much better spec and mine was heavier and standard tc3