Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Hello...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:55 AM
MGTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello...

Hi, I just found this site while looking for info on Nitro cars, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction about buying one of these cars. I only use electric cars (30 mph.s) , so I don't know much about nitro...I want something fast ( at least 50mph.) but I haven't a clue on what to get. I know this nitro hobby is costfull so.....I'm going to have to save up. Also, is there any guide to these cars and how they work on the net?[&:]Thanks for the help!

P.S. I wasn't sure if this was the correct place for this..
Old 07-17-2005, 10:06 AM
samisnake

Default RE: Hello...

hi, welcome to the forum. first thing is you have to decide what type of nitro your looking for. do you want an all going off roader, a on roader for driving up and down a street/car park, an on road racer, a stadium truck. if you want a car that goes really fast, ull need to get an on roader. couple of sites to help you out: [link]http://www.nitrorc.com/[/link] [link]http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/nitroengines1.asp[/link] [link]http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/index.asp[/link]. have a browse on the topics, learn the basics of two stroke engines. i learnt how to fix/use/drive a nitro by buying a used one and basically taking it apart. its also good to ask questions here cos theres always someone out there that can answer your questions.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

there arnt many rtrs that go over 50. but i think duratrax makes one as does CEN. the rest go about 40 stock.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 PM
MGTR

OK, thanks for the help. How hard would it be, to build my own Nitro car (I want an on roader that I can race up and down the street) this way I would be able to choose the parts I want. I have a neighbor thats into electric and nitro tucks, he might have an old engine lying aroun that I can buy from him. Is there a big difference between nitro car engines and nitro tuck engines?[&:]
Old 07-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Dannyhaddon

i used to do electrics too, (40mph) and i used that on my road, but now ive got nitro say like 50mph is so different to handle, the acceleration is very tempting if you have a high end engine,
Old 07-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Piero23

If your gonna be bashing on the street and you want to go 50mph+ and you want a good choice of hop ups than look no farther than a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJKT2&P=0]HPI Nitro RS4 18SS Kit.[/link]
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Burntt32

eh the 18ss isnt all its cracked to be imo. im asuming you know how to build shocks and all that? the rest of hte nitro kit building is just following directions, remeber to use threadlock on any metal to metal screws. umm just jog through the posts to find a kit you like, check ou tthe user reviews and stuff for nitro 1/10th cars. good luck if you need help, thers plenty of people who will help.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:57 PM
MGTR

Well thanks for all the help..... I was thinking of buying an associated TC3 ( i think thats what its called) or an HPI RS4, both go 50 mphs. and are of good quality. I'll have 300$ by the end of the month, I can borrow 200 and I can save up 100.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:23 AM
previ

Get a good car from the word go!
I would recommend HPI R40 or AE NTC3. Both are fast reliable cars.
They are both competent cars, main difference lies in drive train, the R40 is belt driven and the NTC3 is shaft.
If you plan on getting a car to bash around in a car park get the NTC3.
On the other hand if you want a car for track and race competitively then go for the R40.
There are tons of hop-ups available for the NTC3.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 PM
MGTR

OK thanks for the suggestions....can the NTC3's shaft be switched to belt driven?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Burntt32

nope well not with aftermarket parts, you'd have to make your own. but id stick with the shaft drive, hell of alot easier to maintain. you gettin the RTR or the kit for the ntc3?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
MGTR

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure....I have to get a look at the specs of each car and then compare prices......[&:]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:50 PM
ceratog

For road hogging both the RS4 3 and the AE TC3 are good cars. I wouldn't suggest dumping tons of cash into a car you just want to run around the street. The RS4 3 tops out at about 45MPH with the T-15 engine in it. An 18 SS engine would push that over 60. I'm not sure about the top speed of the TC3 - that'll depend on what engine you drop in. Also the Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec hits 60+ MPH out of the box but I'm not a big fan of belt drives though - especially for road/parking lot use.

Just for what it's worth, my fastest RC is a hopped up electric.

But I am sure that there are plenty of folks here with hopped up Nitros that would leave me in the dust.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Burntt32

actually ceratog, the rcdriver (i think thats the title) clocked the speeds of a stock mt2 18ss and rs4 3 18ss. guess what, the mt2 maxed at 46 somethin and the rs4 3 maxed at 45 somethin. could have somethin to do with gearing and tuning but i doubt tuning it any better would get more than 5 extra mph. but yes they are VERY good cars for their prices and they can go fast. but MGTR just do some research and all and find a car that you like.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
ceratog

ahhh

I was going by this that I found in the Q&A section of the HPI web site

"With the new T-15 engine and the stock 2 speed the (rs4 RTR 3) Evo goes almost 45 mph. If you want to go faster you can go for a taller gear ratio. We've had the car up to 60 mph with our optional 18 SS engine, but those kinds of speeds aren't practical for daily driving on streets. Around 45 mph is a good balance between handling, fun to drive, and not breaking too many parts."

Personally, I'd belive the RC magazines B4 I would believe the manufacturer. Thanks Burntt!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:22 PM
MGTR

Ok, I'm pretty sure now, that I'll buy the HPI RS4 18ss kit, not the evo, this way I can know what is wrong with my car after a crash.

Also, what do you guys think about the Associated Nitro TC3 RTR plus?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Burntt32

both good cars. cept ones rtr ones a kit if im not mistaken, the plus is the newer version of it? ceratog, ill try n find that article for ya
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
ceratog

I'd love to get my hands on a Nitro TC3 RTR Plus, but I don't have the funds for one right now...plus I already have 2 nitro sedans so my next nitro will prolly be an off-road.