Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

people who run 1/8's tell me all about it..

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

people who run 1/8's tell me all about it..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
rhed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people who run 1/8's tell me all about it..

I'm thinking of getting a 1/8 on-road (MRX-4). But before I do, I wanted some inputs from you people who already run these speedy r/c cars. For me I'm strictly a basher. And all I do is either parking lots for my 1/10 FTNTC3 or on the dirt with my MT's. But I like speed. That's why I'm thinking of getting one. Besides the parking lots that I run on is very long,wide, and clean.
So, how do you like your car? How fast does it go (estimate)?
Also tell me what you think of this setup and let me know between this two engines. Any recommendations for engines would be great too.
MRX-4
RB C5 curcuit or
OS .21 VZ-R Turbo II

thanks.........

Losi LST @ full weight>>novarossi REX .28 8 port
Traxxas Revo@ 7.9 lbs>>OS .18 tm
AE Factory Team NTC-3>> RB V12 3 port Rody
Old 09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
kartfreak23

Default RE: people who run 1/8's tell me all about it..

well rhed i have an old RC 250 club racer from team associated. its direct drive 2wd no suspension and boy does it haul *****. i have a XTM .21 PRO in it and its just got some insane speed . people at one track thought it was a mugen. i think because of the body its for knewer 1/8 cars but i love mine.id say probabaly 65+ mph. i also had some gears custom made for higher top speed and quicker acceleration. but now i think its time to buy a new one also. what you have in mind seems pretty good. but ive heard that Navorossi makes some pretty wicked .21 that haul some serios but.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
rhed

Wow! A RC 250? You must have had that for a long time. I used to dream of having one of those when I was into my electric RC10. Anyway's thanks for the reply...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 AM
rhed

guess not too many people run 1/8's. Oh well, thanks anyways...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:53 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

hey there, i just checked out www.speedmart.com they have an online coupon where you save $60 on a $500 order. good opportunity for you to pay $590 for a new mugen seiki mrx4.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 AM
rhed

hey thanks alot! Anything helps...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
zimzalahbim

act fast, their deals usually only last 15 days or so, and i don't know how long that one will last. it is the best deal i have ever seen from tower.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:50 PM
kyosho_vonerr

hey im getting the mugen mrx4 aswell but i cant decide between the mtx 3 prospec or the mrx4....do you know which one is quicker because all i want is speed
Old 09-08-2005, 04:40 PM
zimzalahbim

mtx3 is 1/10 scale
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM
rhed

oh yea! 1/8 scale (mrx4) is way faster. Of course way more expensive too.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:55 PM
rhed

Well I ordered my MRX-4 today . Now I'm deciding on two engines. It's either the Novarossi P321 Jim Hots modified or RB C5 Curcuit Rody Roem modified... Anyway thanks for all the inputs...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM
zimzalahbim

do it big
Old 09-10-2005, 02:20 AM
rhed

Yea thanks Zimzalahbim for that special at tower hobbies. Like I said anything helps. And oh yea, Bruckner Hobbies has it for $589 ( http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/Mugen.htm ). Anyway thanks alot..

Losi LST @ full weight>>novarossi REX .28 8 port
Traxxas Revo@ 7.9 lbs>>OS .18 tm
AE Factory Team NTC-3>> RB V12 3 port Rody
Soon.. Mugen MRX-4
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 AM
zimzalahbim

i just checked out that site, they also have the serpent 960, brand new car, for $524. the mugen is surely a great car, but the serpent is absolutely high end.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:28 PM
SqueedilySpooch

The serpent 960 is nice cause its got the new bells and whistles the mrx-4 doesnt(either car is great). Go with the RB as they have an unbeatable reliabilty and are great quality. Nothing really bad to say about RB's cept maybe the price of them
Old 09-11-2005, 05:03 AM
rhed

Yea I wouldn't mind getting a serpent. But only problem is there's no LHS in Hawaii that carries or support the parts for it. I would have to order online all the time. Now that sucks..
Old 09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Dirk Jan

I drive a Picco SPEED (the manufacturer is shepherd micro racing now) and it's the fastest car i've ever had. I drive it only on the track though. Before I drove it on parking lots etc. but you get bored by it and also, you'll ruin your car there. It's always dirtier than a racetrack and belts/pulleys will wear really fast. Also, your engine won't last too long if you're only driving back and forth. Last thing I want to mention is the clutch; it will wear really fast too if not properly adjusted or in dusty conditions.

In my opinion it's a waste of money to buy such a great car with such an expensive engine (!) and only drive it on the parking lot. The car is capable of so much more performance! Check this link of the recent 1/8 onroad world championship in Messina, Italy. There are some links to videos too that are well worth watching. http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php?part=Events&page=results2005/tempo/September%2003-11_World%20Championship%201-8%20On%20Road%20Messina(I).htm

The performance you can expect is:
70+ mph
0 - 60 mph < 2 seconds (when properly tuned and with good grip)

Old 09-13-2005, 03:44 AM
rhed

Dirk Jan where the hell were you before I bought all this stuffs. Someone needed to talk some sense into me before I went wild with this. hehehe. Oh well, don't worry it didn't put a hole in my pocket. And no regrets. Besides I got a good deal, I think, on that C5 Rody roem (#1005-RC). $519. Is that a good deal? I mean I've seen some places that was $699-$960 for this engine. So anyway I took that opportunity of a sweet deal. Oh yea, I made sure it was the Rody version. Because the standard C5 just ends with a "C" at the end of the product #. While the Rody version has a "RC".
Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Dirk Jan

Sorry, just discovered this forum Anyway, I think 519 is pretty good. I live in the Netherlands (now) where it will cost you more. If you really have the 'Rody' version, it should say it on the cooling head. As far as I know, his whole name is engraved in there, so it should say 'Rody' and not just RC?!

Try to go to a track sometimes. Most guys are really helpful there en they can help you setup your car. You'll notice that driving on a racetrack is far more exciting!
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
SqueedilySpooch

try ashfordhobby! Great place to buy RB engines and all ur 1/8th scale needs. He's got prompt delivery(for me at least) Even broke in my engine and it runs great 3 years is it? Till now. IMO its the best service of a online order i ever had. If only he stocked parts for the hpi r40 and some more things and wow....
Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 AM
rhed

Dirk, yea it's the Rody one. Has it on the cooling head. Just like my V12 Rody for my FTNTC3. Oh yea, I have some pix of my old post of my FTNTC3 with the V12 Rody.. http://www.rbproducts.com/cgi-bin/ub.../t/000007.html

Sqeedily, I'll try get some pix here on this post of the car and the motor by next week. I have to go off island for a week. Anyways thank you all for your support and in put...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
rhed

Well my business trip ended early so I'm back. And guess what? My MRX-4 came in. Can't give you peeps any oooh's and awww's about the beauty of this car cause it's a kit. Just like my FTNTC-3 was. And other cars I had in the past that have to put it together (RC10 x2, RC12, tamiya Hornet, tamiya grasshopper, and tamiya toyota bruiser just to name a few). Yea that's some classic RC's.
Anyways you know that RB C5 Rody Roem engine I purchased? Well I returned it and got my money back. Only because I ran into this guy at a LHS. And he notice I was talking to my friend who works there about different kinds of engines for 1/8's. So anyway he told me that he had a RB C5 curcuit (1005-c) none Rody for sell. He was going to use it for he's buggy but never did. And he had it for almost a year. So I ask him how much he want for it. He said $350. Then I told him I have $300 in cash now. And he agreed . So I picked up the motor from him and sure enough it was still brand new and sealed in the box. Checked the # of the model and yes it is the 1005-c.
Anyways I was thinking of sending this thing in for a mod. Either from EB Mods or RB mods. What do you peeps think. Should I do the mod or leave it stock. And if I decide to do the mod, which one.. EB or RB... THanks again
Old 09-17-2005, 06:44 PM
zimzalahbim

have you decided what body you are going to run on it? i persnally detest the lola style bodies, think the porsche 962 body is alright, but HPI makes a toyota GT-1 body that looks amazing. the body in the picture is for the proceed, not the super nitro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32831.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	325356  
Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 AM
rhed

that's a very nice body. does HPI still produce those? You know I was thinking of getting a body custom painted by http://www.rcbodz.com/ . At first I thought, why spend the money for a custom painted one when it's only going to get all banged up and cracked. But then again, ain't doing jumps and rock climbing like a MT or buggy. And I definetly don't want to crash it on to a curb or something. As a matter of fact, I haven't even cracked or changed my 1/10 touring. So I think I'll get one custom painted for my new 1/8 onroad. hey check this out that was made from them http://members.fullnet.net/dsum/x950r.jpg Daaannngg..
Old 09-18-2005, 08:08 PM
zimzalahbim

that is an incredible paint job. here is that hpi body at tower hobbies:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWL66&P=0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.