Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Fixing RS4, new to me, no idea where to start

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Fixing RS4, new to me, no idea where to start

Old 10-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing RS4, new to me, no idea where to start

My neighbor just gave me a RS4 to fix, I have no idea whats wrong, the car appreas in great condition, few scratches, nothing on the chassie broken, electonics look barely used, it appears that it flipped and has dented some of the enigine cooling block, not really broken but definatly scratched up and the fins are bent. I just heard something was broken and it wont go...

So I dont ever really know how to start this thing up. I have had a E-Pede and been working on that for over two years now, SS5800 and many other upgrades, but have no experiance with nitro. So I have a glow plug and a small bit of fuel.

How do I start it?

I have alot of experiance with outboard boat motors and working on jet ski motors so I am not scared to just hack right on it and find the problem, but need a start in the right direction.

Should I even fire it up if I have no idea whats wrong, could make the problem worse?

Please help, I dont know where to start.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default RE: Fixing RS4, new to me, no idea where to start

Hmm ok..
I'd do this..

Take the engine off and inspect the insides for damage. Just take the cooling head off and inspect the cylinder walls, nothing fancy. Trust me.. you can do this
If there arent any scratches.. no apparent damage, then apply some after run oil to the inside (1-3 drops) and close it up.
Make sure everything is clean and start it up.
Take it from there!

You know engines.. just use common sense. This stuff is easy man, dont let the tough talk here fool you.
Given your experience, you're over qualified for this job.

-ram
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Mekong

I dont mean to say I am any expert, just some basics.

I am gonna go to the RC store this week end, what should be on my shoping list? I need some fuel, but what else is needed, I got the glow plug, but what is needed in addtion to after run oil?

I cant wait to get this thing running, how much speed can I expect out of a RS4? It has the HPI tuned pipe, single speed, crapy futaba transmiter.

Thanks buggies
Old 10-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Mekong

Ummm and how do I take the engine off? I felt much easier diving into my stampede...

Are there any how to sites on a RS4? There were tons for the pede... I just dont want to be taking apart parts I dont need.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Josh222

under the engine there will be 4-5 screw attached to the engine mounts take them out and the enggine will come off, what rs4 is it? the old belt style or the newer rs4 3 with shaft drive? go to www.HPIRacing.com they have online instructions for alll there cars and trucks
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 AM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

It's a pull start right? When you pull the handle does it seem to have alot of compression (resistance before turning a complete revolution)? You said you have a glow plug ignitor? I'm assuming you know what a glow plug is, have you taken it out and checked to see if it glows red?

If all the fuel lines are connected, put a little fuel in, plug the exhaust and just pull the handle, see if fuel goes from the tank - up through the fuel line - to the carburetor.

Do all your electronics work, will the wheels turn and throttle move correctly when you try them?

If it has compression, a good glow plug, and can pull fuel you can probably try to start it. You should probably set the carburetor high speed needle and low speed needle to factory specs first. Basically you put fuel in, without the glow plug ignitor cover the exhaust exit, and pull once or twice just to get fuel to the carb, turn on all your electronics so you can control the car if it does start, then hook up your glow plug ignitor and see if it will start.

This really basic...

Just remember, a nitro needs just a few things to start; compression, a good glow plug, and fuel. When it does not start the first thing to check is the glow plug, they have a tendency to go out without notice. If that's good, check to make sure fuel is being pulled from the tank to the carb, if not than you have an air leak somewhere. If both of those are good make sure the engine is not worn out with little to no compression. If all three are good it may be that you allowed too much fuel to enter the carb when you primed it. Take off the glow plug and see if the engine is full of fuel, you may have to put a paper towel down by the opening and turn the engine over some to throw excess fuel out. If all four are good and it still won't start then it may be too cold. Many nitros hate to start unless they are warm. Get a blow dryer and heat the engine up good and hot!

If the glow plug is good, getting fuel, lots of compression, it's not flooded, and the engine is nice and warm that thing is going to fire up with no problem.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Mekong

Great TY all!

I am gonna go get a million AA batteries, ran out on my pede as well. Im gonna test the electronics.

How do I remove the glow plug? I know what it is and where it is, just not how to remove it.

It is the belt driving RS4.

I noticed the castor block was broken, gotta add that to the list.

What kind of oils and stuff am I gonna need to mantine the engine?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
RCDadChicago

I believe its an 8mm socket that removes the plug (at least that's what I always use).

It's good to add 'after run oil' to your engine at the end of the day. Keeps the nitro from gumming up.

Nitro's love WD40 for cleaning, lubricating, etc.

If you can afford one, get a compressor, makes cleaning so much easier.

Those belts will get old and break. I know the ones on my Super Nitro did. Sometimes they have a better urethane replacement. It's always good to have a few spares around.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Mekong

Well my neighbor said that the guy he got it from said the engine was working fun but there was other stuff wrong with it... (quiet vauge...)

So the electronics work all except the throttle servo. What servo would be a good replacement?

I tried starting the engine up, I set it to 2 and a half turns back from closed, as stated in the break in I read at HPI and it ran for about 10sec or less. I turned it to a little less than two turns back and it ran for a good 30sec, but when I moved it down to idle, after it seemed warm, the it died and was a pain to restart and then only ran for a few sec.

I am charing up the glow started which seems rather week, I might try a working one at the RC shop and see if that works.

Any ideas?

I finaly got the manule, its a RS4 2, how much speed can I expect out of it?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Mekong

I got the enigine running again today, worked for about 60sec, then I started to rev the engine higher and it stopped....

What could be the cause if it only running for a less than a min then stalling?

Where should I have the needle valve set to?

Please help, I am gonna bring the car in soon and want to at least get the engine running so all I have to worry about is the electronics and broken caster block.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:09 PM
RCDadChicago

Well if you set the HSN at factory settings and after revving the engine it died it could be too rich, normally factory settings are for just breaking the engine in. Try leaning it out some, probably a good 1/2 to 1 turn would be ok.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Mekong

I brough it to the LHS, they checked the glow plug, it was dead, tryed a new and it ran great, they set the carb to I think 4 turns out, its runs great, I ran a 1/2 tank through it in low speed doing circles and no problems!

Now all I gotta do is get a throttle servo and Im set!

Any suggestions on a servo?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Mchwind Chimes
My Feedback: (1)

i would buy a new head on ebay man, there cheap, most likely you have a .15 on there, and after you check the damage, then strap it on, to take the head of just use some hex heads
Old 10-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Mekong

Whats a good cheap heat gun?

Also, about the servos, which one?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Mchwind Chimes

you opened 4 complete turns? That tells me that i def am safe richening mine, cause i bought this new pipe, so i have to retune, but i had it only open 2 turns, it keeps on shutting off at about 6 min, so i am opening it up slowly, but wow, 4 turns, thats crazy, so i will def keep opening mine.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Mekong

The guy at the LHS used a temp gun, in a few sec at 1.5 turns the engine was ready to burn up. At around 3 it was great.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Mchwind Chimes

well for me, today i opened it a little more then 2.5 and it shut off, flooded, i think.