Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Sponge and rubber settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM
bozla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponge and rubber settings

I'm currently racing on rubber, but i have a super 10 so sponge is hard to get hold of, but I may be able to get some soon. Whats the difference in set-up?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
tanman

Default RE: Sponge and rubber settings

The difference is sponge is lighter than rubber. But some rubber tires have good grip. Also, sponge has good grip. Sponge tires are alot more $$$ but there worth it.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Josh222

Foam tires are only to be used on clean and smooth areas, dirt and dust makes them hard to grip and rocks will rip them up
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 AM
gooseter

oooooh yeah, found that one out the hard way! 15min of running on the local netball courts, and my foam tires are cactus! (Still run okay though, so they will do until some more $$$ comes my way!)

Sort of related question...

Tire insert types (air gap, no air gap, etc.), what are the pros and conc of both types? I drive hard and the ones that came with my car had an air gap and I shredded the tires within an hour or so worth of running. Any Ideas?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
bozla

No, I mean set-up of suspension and geometry. Do I go harder or softer etc..
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Josh222

its all up to your prefrence, try getting some different springs and shock oils and see what you like best
Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
tanman

I hope you found some tires if you did tell me what kind they are. Also the brand.

Smartech cars rock!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:40 AM
bozla

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any but i'll be getting an fw05 soon hopefully!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 AM
previ

Generally foam tyres will give you better traction but it depends on the surface you are running on. On high grip asphalt tracks foams are the way to go but you have to take into account the type of hardness or softness of the foam. This is measured in shore and a good base line to start off with would be a slightly harder shore in the front to rear ,for example 42s front and 38s rear. There are loads of good companies that make them like Gandini,GQ,Enetti etc.
With foam tyres you can set the car stiffer then with rubbers. You would also tend to increase camber, and drop the shocks even further to get more side to side traction.
With rubbers the inserts play a major role with traction. You can either use moulded inserts or foam inserts. These will come in different densities from soft to hard. I have played around quite a bit and have come to the conclusion that the foam inserts will give you better traction at the expense of more tyre wear. HPI make good tyres for use on non prepared surfaces but on track go for Sorex or CS. As regards inserts Schumacher make some pretty good foam inserts- I use the grey ones.

Hope this helps!