Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

RS4 18ss and EVO: PROBLEM REPORTS (Official thread)

Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS4 18ss and EVO: PROBLEM REPORTS (Official thread)

Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
ZSZACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RS4 18ss and EVO: PROBLEM REPORTS (Official thread)

yeah, the main rcu web site... how much are you wantng for it? im looking for another one just to run on the streets. do you have any upgrades on it? and will you sell any parts for it?

does anyone no how fast a rs4 rtr3, with a t .15 motor, and the 2 speed kit on it will go? im having the 2 speed put on it right now, and im just wondering wil i feel a diff. in the performance? i have just purchased a rs4 2, with the .15 fe motor on it and the 2 speed on it. it is fast, all it took was a little tuneing and it was runnig much faster than my rs4 rt3 without the 2 speed. will my car run that fast!!!?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 AM
ZSZACH

yeah, the main rcu web site... how much are you wantng for it? im looking for another one just to run on the streets. do you have any upgrades on it? and will you sell any parts for it?

does anyone no how fast a rs4 rtr3, with a t .15 motor, and the 2 speed kit on it will go? im having the 2 speed put on it right now, and im just wondering wil i feel a diff. in the performance? i have just purchased a rs4 2, with the .15 fe motor on it and the 2 speed on it. it is fast, all it took was a little tuneing and it was runnig much faster than my rs4 rt3 without the 2 speed. will my car run that fast!!!?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
GYNAIKAS

Hi everyone finally i got back!!! Home sweet home!!! I'm at your disposal again! I MISSED THIS FORUM!!!! [8D] Sorry for spamming but I had to say it! LOL How is everybody?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM
MKflo84

Hi there,

I just replaced the pipe on my 18ss with the tuned one I ordered. I replaced the gears of my rear diffs (I take them from my Sprint).
My main concern was to have a steel pipe instead of the plastic one included in the kit. I wasn't searching for more power.

But the new pipe makes the 18ss far more powerful. I think I got +20% power and consequently +10% max speed. Surprinsigly I'm not very pleased of this improvement : the car is really really uncontrolable. It spins on every corner, even with my slick tires. I'm even thinking about installing an old 15 motor on it. The flywheel loosened two times and the collet is worn out. The motor screws loosened once. I'm not an experienced driver but I really don't think this car can handle so much power. Perhaps my mustang body makes things worse (no rear spoiler).
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
traxxaskid109

It's hard to beleive but even those little spoilers on our rc's can make difference. I ran my car with 350z body with no wing, wasn't the best control. I put on a heavy wing with more downward flow and I won't lie, things changed.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
HeLLsGoD

Your flywheel loosened up because u probably never tightened it hard and threadlocked it.

1)Tune your suspensions to combat oversteer and spinning out
2) Use threadlock for the clutch nut so the flywheel never goes loose
3)Slightly richen your engine so theres less power and more durability
4)Try foam tyres
Old 04-23-2007, 05:24 PM
MKflo84

Thanks for your tips.
The last time I put thread lock on my flywheel, I had trouble to disasamble it. (I had to heat it with a solering iron). In fact the collet was already worn out from a previous mistake.
3) I made it (plenty of blue smoke) when I saw that my car was uncontrolable , but I think I'll open it more.

1) - 4) I read that 90 % of the job is done by choosing the right tires for the right tracks. I didn't bought foam tires because they aren't really cheap and I guess that they wear out very quickly. I'm an occasional driver after all. But perhaps I'll have to buy some.
Thanks again for sharing your tips
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
RcPsycho

Hey Guys, I started my car for the first time this season, and it doesn't seem too switch too second gear, can someone help me with it ?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
traxxaskid109

Well It's most likely from it needing to be tuned properly again so it's moving quick enough to swith into second. I kknow when my car's running rich and slow, it will take forever to switch.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM
HeLLsGoD

I put a crap load of threadlock on my the crankshaft thread and i didnt have any problems taking it off by hand without any tools besides the glowplug wrench. I guess its just the method you use to take it out

Tyres is just half the story, your suspensions do play a major role on how your car will handle. This guide might help you [link]http://www.nitroreview.com/hintstips/underandOversteer.cfm[/link]
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
RcPsycho

hey, what happends if theres moisture in the gas tank?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
HeLLsGoD

Moisture is not good for the engine. Clean out your fuel tank, spray it with nitro cleaner, kerosene or metho and it will remove all that crap you dont want straight out
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 PM
integLSdriver

not really any upgrades on it. It has a new transmission in it and a new motor i just bought the motor a week ago and just finished breaking it in all that needs to be done is tunning its a team associated .15 motor pull start (pretty much stock) id like to get atleast $175 for it. It comes ready to run just need batteries and they will be comin with it
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: MKflo84

Hi there,

I just replaced the pipe on my 18ss with the tuned one I ordered. I replaced the gears of my rear diffs (I take them from my Sprint).
My main concern was to have a steel pipe instead of the plastic one included in the kit. I wasn't searching for more power.

But the new pipe makes the 18ss far more powerful. I think I got +20% power and consequently +10% max speed. Surprinsigly I'm not very pleased of this improvement : the car is really really uncontrolable. It spins on every corner, even with my slick tires. I'm even thinking about installing an old 15 motor on it. The flywheel loosened two times and the collet is worn out. The motor screws loosened once. I'm not an experienced driver but I really don't think this car can handle so much power. Perhaps my mustang body makes things worse (no rear spoiler).
Well you'll just have to corner with proper throtling when running a car with a tuned outlaw engine as your and my car. Imagine that I've a racing air filter, racing pipe and I've modified the 18ss engine (ports and crankshaft sculpting ). I use soft foams and the yes...the car is very tricky!!! When on track just brake before tunrs, corner with proper throtle and then accelerate just before corner ends. Some days ago I went for bashing with foams to adjust camber and I ended up drifting at mid-high rpm level (i repeat with foams!!!)...so much is the torgue! But when on track (clear road surface) it is almost impossible to drift on foams.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM
MKflo84

I changed my airfilter with a high capacity one some times ago now. i agree that I still have a lot to learn. But I'm sure other tires wil be better. I'll also try to tune my suspensions better.

I've bought 26mm 40 front and 30mm 35 rear foam tires and I'm pretty excited to test them. But I'm far away from my car now (for approx more 5 days) and I've a nooby question that makes me anxious :

Will the 30mm tires fit on the rear end or will they touch the side of the radio plate (remember I've the stock one) ? Gynaikas, I know you use foam tires on your RS4. Do you use 30mm for the rear tires on it ?

Thanks !
Flo
Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 PM
GYNAIKAS

Yeap, 30mm rear wont touch radio plate. It is close but even when the car corners hard it doesnt touch. If you want I can send you a pic of mine using 30mm rear as a proof.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:13 AM
ahfu25

Would anyone here trade a evo with an os 18 cv for a e-flite pro heli??
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 AM
MKflo84

Thanks Gynaikas,
I trust you ! But I always enjoy to see pictures of beautifull RC cars. So If you have some, I'll be happy to see them !
[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Flo
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 AM
GYNAIKAS

There you go: normal position and when suspension at upper ending point. Also a pic of my bashing main setup and a pic showing the ride height of the car.. I use the non-adjustable turnbuckles when bashing to avoid ruining my racing adjustable ones.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25785.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	672453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50982.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	672454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53217.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	672455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75340.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	672456  
Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 AM
MKflo84

That's a nice ride !
What shore do you use ? Your ride height is really low, I wonder how you could bash with this setup !
I'll also put a rear spoiler on my mustang to see if it is of any help.

BTW, I have an old RS4 nitro (yes, the first one), and I would like to bash with it again. But I wonder if it is worth putting a 2 speed transmission and a tuned pipe on it. I remember it was a nice car to drive. But I wonder if the RS4 3 is really much better.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
GYNAIKAS

Yeap it's low. I usually put a silicon protection under the front bumper to avoid rocks from getting under the car...try it it works. I'd say go for the exaust ad use it with one speed transmission as a drfter.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:19 PM
GYNAIKAS

Has anyone experience with different suspension spring setups? I'm trying to find what's "generaly" best for normal track conditions. I want setups for the 18ss only (EVO's suspension differs from the 18ss's). I've already tried many many settings but I want the ultimate setting. I'd prefer setting ideas for medium/soft foam tyres (26mmF, 30mmR) 2degrees toe in, 1deg campber front and 1degree camber rear.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
HeLLsGoD

Hey dude,

HPI just made new Titanium drift springs, their just like normal springs with different spring rates and coil #. I dont see whats so "drift" about them but they look very cool, check out the hpi europe website.

to get the ultimate setup youll need to be at the track with a whole set of springs.. it needs to be tuned to the track.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
GYNAIKAS

Yeap I know you have to be on track. I've tried many combinatons and the car runs fine but for sure there is something better that I've not figured yet. There are 5 parameters: Toe in, camber, mounting positions, spring rate/type and sway bar rate/type. Imagine how many combinations someone can do...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 AM
semih007

PLEASE HELP hey guys i we bought the os 18 cvr engine for rs4 rtr evo but i ran into a big problem the screw that goes front of thr flyweel (that holds the cluch springs in its place i couldnt to get tight enough to hold the flyw in its place hot did you tighten it up the screw in there or how id you install the enginee and how dou you like the speed now please help olso which engine mounts did you usee i cant get it line up with my mouns PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.