Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

rs4 18ss is durable

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rs4 18ss is durable

I have built the hpi rs4 18ss as my first rc car and I must just say that this thing is very durable. No less then three major crashes so far and still nothing is broken.
I know you're supposed to drive these things on a racetrack, but being new I couldn't help myself so I've been driving it on the road outside my house.
There is a deep ditch and twice I have drove off the road, into the ditch and tumbled out in the forrest, but no problems so far.
Another time I hit a pothole on a parking lot and the car was launched in the air, flipped and rolled for a loong distance (this was at full speed) ...Still nothing broke?!?
I need a new body since the old one looks like the dog's been playing with it, but otherwise the car is fine.

Checklist:
-Only drive on wide open spaces, not narrow streets
-Look for holes and/or obstacles before going WOT
-Get radio with exponential and not use full throttle until I have learned how to drive

Question: Am I just plain lucky, or are these rc cars this durable? (I could swear it was going to be totaled on all three crashes, but it keeps on ticking)

Old 03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Presence

Default RE: rs4 18ss is durable

they are very durable..just once ive come out of a crash, and nothing happened, other times when it got into an accident...they were cheap to repair... one time i slammed into a concrete wall, and it only took $12 to repair...it looked serious, but the cost of the damage was minor..its a fun hobby, but dont expect that each time u crash u'll just pick it up and continue racing...eventually something always breaks.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Test005

Yeah, well I'm new at this so I guess I'm kinda testing the boundries
Will go to a bigger parking lot in the future cause this is too fast for me to handle on a normal street... I also have ordered a Futaba 3PM radio so I can use exponential, my current AM radio doesn't have expo and stearing is a bit nervous at high speeds.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
GYNAIKAS

Not crashed yet but yeap it looks very durable till now to me. I accidently rutn the car through a big bump full of water and the suspention was OK as the engine too. Thank god.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 PM
fuzion18ss

couple of hard hits and i'm impressed with the durability

1st crash: side swipe curb - broke a plastic cap on the adjustable tie-rod (no suprise - it was already partially destroyed from a tire coming unglued and rubbing it)
2nd crash: curb head-on - hit pretty hard cause my finger slipped off the brake. Ended up bending the chasis (only infront of the differential) and broke the stock battery holder

still haven't totally fixed the car since the 2nd crash, but it's as good of an excuse as any to buy an upper deck and flat pack.

Lessons learn:
don't figure 8 parking lot islands in a dirty parking